Duck Hunting Forum banner

Coyote Rifle

12K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Small Block 
#1 ·
Im looking for a inexpensive Coyote rifle.
Any reviews on the Savage Axis (22-250)

#3 ·
Bill Herian said:
What calibers do you already own?

You might already have a good coyote rifle.
The only Rifle I currently own is a Remington 597 (.22 LR)
I am legally aloud to kill a Coyote with a .22 LR as long as it is within Small game season dates but i dont consider a .22 LR a serious Coyote Rifle!

The reason i ask about the Savage Axis (22-250) is because they are on sale here for $339.

#5 ·
I would save my money on the Axis and go buy a Model 10 or Stevens Model 200. Both great guns, both made my Savage. I own both of them, and I had a Model 12 Savage. Also a great gun.

Reviews I have read on the Axis have not been very good...

My all time favorite, go to KILLER, most accurate coyote death tool is a Stevens Model 200 in .22-250 I bought new for under $300.

It has been the death of many a coyote. The trigger is adjustable...not a pretty gun, but a great tool.

#6 ·
I have a savage 10gxp3 in .223 I purchased on Gunbroker for $350 new. I am actually using it for deer this year also. Great rifle, replaced the scope with a leupold, but I love the way it shoots and I really liked the price. If you aren't in any hurry to get one watch gunbroker you can find great deals on there. If you call them in close enough the 22LR or shotgun will work fine out to about 50 yards. I used my ruger 10/22 with CCI Stinger bullets for years on yotes/pigs, with head shots. Good Luck.

#7 ·
TomKat said:
I would save my money on the Axis and go buy a Model 10 or Stevens Model 200. Both great guns, both made my Savage. I own both of them, and I had a Model 12 Savage. Also a great gun.

Reviews I have read on the Axis have not been very good...

My all time favorite, go to KILLER, most accurate coyote death tool is a Stevens Model 200 in .22-250 I bought new for under $300.

It has been the death of many a coyote. The trigger is adjustable...not a pretty gun, but a great tool.
What problems have you read about the Axis?

#9 ·
TomKat said:
Stiff 5lb trigger, flexable cheap stock, rough action. No real problems, just these few issures.
Well i guess these are things that you would expect from a cheap rifle.
I haven't heard of any malfunction issue with this model!

Im looking for a cheap but half decent coyote rifle to use every other weekend.
But i dont want something that is known to break or malfunction!
So far the Savage Axis at $339 seems like the best bang for my buck!

#10 ·
TheBigTim said:
TomKat said:
Stiff 5lb trigger, flexable cheap stock, rough action. No real problems, just these few issures.
Well i guess these are things that you would expect from a cheap rifle.
I haven't heard of any malfunction issue with this model!

Im looking for a cheap but half decent coyote rifle to use every other weekend.
But i dont want something that is known to break or malfunction!
So far the Savage Axis at $339 seems like the best bang for my buck!
Have you even looked at the Stevens Model 200??? Savage barrel, guts, etc...ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER....GET IT?

#12 ·
You might also look at the Marlin X7VH for around $275-300. My buddy that owns a gun shop swears by his as one of if not THE most accurate rifle he owns. My brother just bought one and thus far it is a half MOA piee with factory loads...we are working up some recipes at the bench to tighten that up a bit. I'm looking for a new 22-250 myself and am considering one of these for the price and performance.

#16 ·
I actually was just in the same predicament as you and was looking primarily at the axis in 22-250 but after going to the store, they had a savage model 11 in 22-250 for $390 on clearance so I went with that one and am picking it up tonight. The axis they had for me to look at looked good, too but the gun I got had the accu trigger so that was a big plus for me.

#19 ·
i owned the axis .270 and completly hated it like stated before the trigger was super heavy stock was cheap action seemed almost loose i ended up selling it and saving up for a browning .300 wood stock. it was so much more worth spending the extra money so i would say save and get a better rifle. im shooting a .22 mag for yotes but im working on getting a .223

#21 ·
if you ask me the axis is a rip off of the ruger american. I would get the ruger american in 223 because the triggers are great, rugged gun, accurate, and to top that all off...made in america. I would get the 223 because i think they would be easier to find and a broader selection of ammo compared to the 22 250

#22 ·
I recently purchased the Ruger American. Very happy with it so far. Have only sighted in and yet to introduce it to any coyotes. I got the .308, as its my first large caliber rifle. May be a little overkill for coyote, but wanted an all-around caliber that I could use on larger game, if the opportunity arises. Just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

#24 ·
Old post but still relevant for today. I currently own a Savage Mod. 12 bull barrel accu trigger in a 22.250. Black syn stock with a folding bipod. I've killed coyotes and deer and a host of other critters with it. Best day on a bench at 300 yds was a three shot group the size of your thumb nail, in the bulls eye with factory loads. Optics is a Redfield 4X12 Five Star. I didn't so it wasn't heavy, but very accurate. I currently am working on acquiring that same gun in a .308. At 600 yards a 22.250 has lost it's gas enough to be effective on a kill of a deer. I doubt you will find a new mo. 12 as I think they quit makin em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.