Gone try some trapping soon

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Gone try some trapping soon

Postby SwampRatNC » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:58 pm

It's been about 20 some years sense the last time I trapped. I got a few rats and a possum or two back then.This time I will be going for coons and rats. I got a few questions for the pros.

1) Waxing traps , is a pound of wax enough to do a dozen 1.5 coil springs and if not can I use the wax they sell a grocery stores.

2) Can I get by with washing my traps in the dishwasher instead of boiling in lye.

3) Should get a catch pole to help with dispatching the critters. Will be using a 22 or pellet gun for this also.

That's about it. I didn't do any of this when trapped as a teenager, just let the traps set outside and rust and baited the legholds with fish heads. I think I got a good spot for coons & rats maybe even a fox.
SwampRatNC
SwampRatNC
hunter

Re: Gone try some trapping soon

Postby side-slippin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:15 pm

I'm definitely no pro, but I'll give it a shot...

SwampRatNC wrote:1) Waxing traps , is a pound of wax enough to do a dozen 1.5 coil springs and if not can I use the wax they sell a grocery stores.

if your going to be water trapping, then there is really no need to wax your traps. i only wax traps that i will run on my land lines.

SwampRatNC wrote:2) Can I get by with washing my traps in the dishwasher instead of boiling in lye.

this is exactly how i remove the oil coating from new traps; run them in the dish washer for a cycle with no detergent, and then throw them in the yard for a few weeks to start the rusting process.

SwampRatNC wrote:3) Should get a catch pole to help with dispatching the critters. Will be using a 22 or pellet gun for this also.

if you make drowning sets then your fur should be DOA; with that being said i do carry a .22 with me when running my line, but barely use it. i have other methods of dispatching them without putting a bullet hole in the pelt. but wont go into detail on open forum. let me know if you have any other questions.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Re: Gone try some trapping soon

Postby Duplex lover » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:56 am

Sorry we only use snares for coyotes and bob cats. If you think your going to hit a dog or a cat in the head with a stick your wrong. If the snare didn't kill them, there the most Pissed off creachers in existence, I use a 20 gauge shot gun at 20/30 yards... :beer:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum