A picture for Jehler

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

A picture for Jehler

Postby TomKat » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi John,
I took this picture for you at my stand this morning. I have trees all around me, and have set my call and decoy out about 40 yards upwind from the camera. In fact, I am surrounded by about 220 acres of woods. I am sitting in front of a big cedar tree. I stayed here calling, off and on, for 35 minutes. I sat down about 10 mins before actual sunrise.

I didn't see any dogs or cats, but that is part of the game. I bet I will one of these days. The best part of all is I didn't have to start my truck to get to the stand :smile:

Did you all see any coyotes today?
TomKat
Dorothy

Re: A picture for Jehler

Postby Norsky » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:22 pm

I set some snares in the back yard. Does that count? I have tried to get out but my ambition this winter is about zero. No snow and 55 degrees in Minnesota does not help either.
Norsky
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:34 am

Global warming?
TomKat
Dorothy

A picture for Jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:40 am

We have hunted three stands this morning with no luck, the first one at sunrise was the most promising but we kind of botched it going in. Had not scouted the area in a long time and didn't realize someone had built a cabin right where we planned on setting up, the diversion may have given us up? Just stoppe fr a sweet roll and coffee, heading back out, two more spots to hit, 17 degrees this morning
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

A picture for Jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:43 am

Norsky wrote:I set some snares in the back yard. Does that count? I have tried to get out but my ambition this winter is about zero. No snow and 55 degrees in Minnesota does not help either.

norsky, FYI, the coyote hunting thing in my sig is a joke, in three years my son and I have been trying to bag a coyote we have failed every hunt ....
jehler

Postby one2many » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:42 pm

jehler wrote:
Norsky wrote:I set some snares in the back yard. Does that count? I have tried to get out but my ambition this winter is about zero. No snow and 55 degrees in Minnesota does not help either.

norsky, FYI, the coyote hunting thing in my sig is a joke, in three years my son and I have been trying to bag a coyote we have failed every hunt ....

spending time in the woods with your son is never a failure..keep it up you both will bag some dogs
I'm way too baked to drive to the devil's house.
one2many
hunter

A picture for Jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Just got in, hunted three more spots, we did actually see a yote behind us and off in the swamp about 60 yards out us circling around, just for a second through the cedars, he never appeared though. Got the blood pumping a little.... We are getting closer
jehler

A picture for Jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:54 pm

one2many wrote:spending time in the woods with your son is never a failure..keep it up you both will bag some dogs

between the ducks, deer, rabbits, mushroom, grouse, turkey, berry hunting and all the fishing he and I do as well as work and carvingI can honestly say I spend as much or more time with him out of doors as I do indoors. A great kid who is goin to be a force to be reckoned with as a hunter when he gets older!
jehler

A picture for Jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Norsky, I know you load a lot of big shot for long range, you do much with lead buckshot?
jehler

Postby Norsky » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Every year I make an attempt at it. Best this year has been a load from Precision Reloading buffered 10 gauge loads. It is putting 20/20 #1 buck in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards and 15 @ 60 yards. Didn't help when I emptied the gun on one last full moon. :no:
Norsky
hunter

A picture for Jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:00 pm

My first attempt at buckshot was this last week, loaded 1 3/4 oz of F shot in a tps wad in a 3" fiochi 12 gauge, filled it with buffer 1325 fps and patterned 80% at 50 yards, 25% at 80 yards. I have all kinds of gas seals, brush buster wads, nitro cards and Teflon wraps etc. just wondering where to start really. You ever loaded buckshot without a wad, just nitro cards and Teflon?
jehler

Postby TomKat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:34 pm

jehler wrote:Just got in, hunted three more spots, we did actually see a yote behind us and off in the swamp about 60 yards out us circling around, just for a second through the cedars, he never appeared though. Got the blood pumping a little.... We are getting closer

You are getting closer. Now you just gotta fine tune it so you can seal the deal. When I hunt in wide open places, I use my binos to see if I can spot them coming in. It always surprises me on how many I see LEAVING off in the distance.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Norsky » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:49 pm

jehler wrote:My first attempt at buckshot was this last week, loaded 1 3/4 oz of F shot in a tps wad in a 3" fiochi 12 gauge, filled it with buffer 1325 fps and patterned 80% at 50 yards, 25% at 80 yards. I have all kinds of gas seals, brush buster wads, nitro cards and Teflon wraps etc. just wondering where to start really. You ever loaded buckshot without a wad, just nitro cards and Teflon?

I have done some of BPI Teflon wraps. I cannot say from the few I tried that it was the stuff. They shot alright but using a full length wad and buffer seems to give better long range results. 80% at 50 yards sounds to be a great coyote load.
Norsky
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum