newby with some questions

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

newby with some questions

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:00 pm

hey guys, i am starting to get into coyote hunting. i got a really good deal on a FoxPro caller so i decided i would try it out. i have several questions that i hope you don't mind answering. my first one is, is it really necessary to have a red filter on your spotlight for night hunting, or could a guy get by with just a regular spotlight? second one is, when exactly is the "best" time to go? and finally, do you guys prefer to use a decoy at night? ex. quiver critter, etc. and if you do, where is your caller placed when you do use one, and how far do you set both caller and decoy out?

sorry for multiple questions,

thanks ILgoose
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Re: newby with some questions

Postby luie b » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:55 pm

Never have coyote hunted at night (don't like being out in the woods at night) so I can't help you there. With the decoy what I like to do with mine is just put it out in the field out far enough and at an angle that it will distract a coyote coming in so he doesn't see me. On your sets don't be afraid to keep hammering on the calls for 20-30 min. Last Sunday I killed a 35 lb. male that came in 20 min. after we started calling so if they don't come in immediately don't call it quits.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby luie b » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:57 pm

Oh, and if the temps are above freezing the hunting is best early in the morning or late in the evening but it's still good a few hours after first light or before last light. If it's really cold you can hunt all day with really good luck.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby one2many » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:08 pm

i cant shine them here in iowa so no idea about the filter

i would get a few hand calls, learn to use them!!! Randy Anderson out of Nebraska use to have some great calls and he is a master caller

FoxPro makes some good call(i have 2 or 3) Wildlife Technologies calls are far better in every way

"best" time to go?---i hunt them all year long at anytime of the day snow is better for me when running hounds and longdogs as long as the snow is not iced over ROUGH on pads..in places that denning is allowed i hunt when they have young ones with the small dogs
anytime im out doing chores me and my working dogs are always up for a chase and fight

i dont use a decoy at night..i do use them in the daytime with or with out my decoy dogs
if i am using a e caller i set it out 50 yards or so....main thing is to make sure you are very well hidden

once i have set up and got sat down i will only call 30 minutes tops, nothing comes pick up and move

good luck
jeff
I'm way too baked to drive to the devil's house.
one2many
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Yes red or green, White says Hi I'm a hunter...
No decoy, I like to call in the last or first 1/4 moon . There is not enough light to see much of a decoy.
Put the caller about 20 yards up wind from YOU and carry a shotgun. :thumbsup:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:14 pm

thanks guys, so it is necessary to have red or green? i figure i can get them close enough, maybe shine em and freeze em. hopefully i have a quick trigger finger! haha.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:15 am

Don't NEED anything if you can see, like a full moon and snow on the ground, Just remember there is No camo that helps at night. White looks black in the bright snow... :hammer:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum