hunting the really thick stuff in OK

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

hunting the really thick stuff in OK

Postby Dux-R-Us » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:38 pm

After about 4 winters of medicore to poor success of calling (or trying to call) predators out of cover, I took some advice and have started hunting IN the thickest, nastietst places I can find. Success has improved greatly. I sit down with my back to a tree in places that I can see only short distances, no farther than about 30 yards.

In four short evening hunts I have taken 2 coyotes and called in one bobcat. I killed both dogs but the cat hung up and I could not get a clean shot at him. He was the first cat I called in ever. All animals came in within 10 minutes to a mouth call. Predator hunting has become much more exciting. I'm Getting a real rush with animals in such close range.

I have given up the rifle in these situations and taken to shooting a 12 ga with modified choke, loaded with 1.5 oz lead BB.

Tally ho!

K
"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx
Dux-R-Us
hunter

Re: hunting the really thick stuff in OK

Postby wingseeker » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:02 pm

A little advice.............use the Dead Coyote Shells from HeviShot. They are lethal on
yotes at close to moderate range. Your hunting is exactly what we experience and find
it to be a thrill like you do.
wingseeker
hunter

Postby Dux-R-Us » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:10 am

wingseeker wrote:A little advice.............use the Dead Coyote Shells from HeviShot. They are lethal on
yotes at close to moderate range.

I handload my own shotgun shells. 1.5 oz lead BB (75 pellets) has proven lethal on 4 coyotes thus far, from 10 to about 40 yards. 4 shots, 4 dead coyotes. My handloads are considerably less expensive than HeviShot. Last week I killed a 30# female with the load.

In OK, game laws prohibit the use of any shot larger than BB for all hunting (except waterfowl). Buckshot is illegal. However, quoting one one game officer, "We don't care if you use a bazooka [on coyotes]". Possibly bobcat hunting rules may be more strictly enforced.

Tally ho!
"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx
Dux-R-Us
hunter

Postby okietaxidermist » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Your not far from me. coyote hunting have become very popular in my area and is harder than it used to be. I have started hunting on public land near oolagah lake. It is as nasty stuff as you can imangine. Wait a couple weeks after deer season and you will see know one. mainly shot cats,gray foxs, and coons.coyotes do come in but it is very thick and hard to see.
okietaxidermist
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:23 am

Dux-R-Us, I do quite a bit of coyote calling with a shotgun and with a rifle. I prefer to use a shotgun and get the coyotes up real close.

When I could use lead shot on coyotes, I reloaded 1-1/2 oz of lead BBB or lead T shot that I got from BPI. Those 2-3/4" reloads in Federal Gold Medal hulls worked great at 40 yards and less. I also shot the Federal Premium 3" 1-7/8 oz of copper coated BBs quite a bit.

I use a shotgun in thick stuff but we always have a shotgun on our stands even in the more open country. I really like sitting down up against a tree or in the shade of a bush and looking around and the telling myself that any coyote I can see is in shotgun range.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum