Did you ever notice??

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Did you ever notice??

Postby Duplex lover » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:43 am

We have been paying attention to the small things now when were out calling Coyotes.Temp ,cloud cover,Sun up sundown,Moon phase,cover where we are seeing them ,Things like that. Some of our observations.

Some times Mag pies ( like crows)fallow the coyotes in hopes of some left overs.

Our coyotes have had a very easy winter this year and an abundance of food, but they do seam to be looking for more food on COLD mornings or after a storm.During the storm this year it looks like they sit tight.

The seam to be out in the open more when it's sunny and more willing to come across plowed fields and cross fences.

Cloudy days we think bother there sight like ours and will stay in the brush as long as they can.

Wind of course is a killer. They can't smell as well ,when they Do come in they will circle WAY down wind and often come in behind us.

When it's warm they tend to sleep in later and start hunting later in the evening.

Full moon makes them hunt at night and skip the morning hunting,unless it's an easy kill.

They almost always bed down in isolated pockets of brush in short cover around them, at least that looks like where there coming FROM when we see them start to come in.

AND the strangest thing we put our fingers on is EAGLES. They don't seem to get a long well. If there is a golden eagle flying in the area we plan to call we will wait till it's gone or come back later. We have seen them Swoop down and harass coyotes that are coming in to our call and most the time they run off never to be seen again. We have had eagles ,owls,and hawks come in and swoop or hit our call and once we had a Golden "TAKE" our rabbit decoy. It must have known shortly it was fake because it dropped it and we got it back.

Any thing you guys notice we're missing? :huh:

The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Re: Did you ever notice??

Postby luie b » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Nope, I think you hit the nail right on the head. Except for some reason most of my successes have been on overcast days. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything but that's usually when I get lucky.
luie b
hunter

Postby #1jumpshooter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:31 am

thanks for the heads up and advice i will have to keep these weather conditions in mind before i go out next time
#1jumpshooter
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:34 pm

ive kept a journal of sorts, of every thing ive killed,caught, and been afield.every year fills a 80 page notebook,(give or take), and we can look back and see the time of day,weather ,wind direction/speed,and any other pertinenet information.it helps when making decisions about where, and when we hunt a certain area, or lake.if you start one, you'll find it the handiest thing .its amazing how easy it is to forget about an area, or spot you might not hunt/fish every year.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum