Yotes! Need help

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Yotes! Need help

Postby BBK » Tue May 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Hey guys, was hoping you could give me a little info/guidance on how to kill some yotes.

I hunt a few farms here in Iowa, mostly just small game and turkey but have some family members who also hunt deer. We have a big problem, a yote problem. The damn things are everywhere and the turkey and deer hunting just keeps getting worse and worse. I've had it, I want to go take some out. My uncle takes out a couple each year with his bow/muzzle loader while deer hunting but it doesnt make any difference. Nobody in the area hunts them so they are thick.

I don't have a rifle bigger than my squirrel gun, so I'm going to have to shotgun them. Got an 1187 super mag, SBE, SX3, and various other guns that I think should get the job done.

Now, I have some questions.. I've never hunted them or been with anyone who has... totally new to this.

What ammo should I buy? 000, 00, 0, 4 buck? Slugs? What choke should I start with?

What do I do for calling, will an electronic call be fine for shotgun or do I need to hand call?

How should I hunt them? Sit at the top of a pasture, hunt in valleys, sit by dens?

Decoys? are those electronic rabbit shaking things good enough?

When is the best time to hunt them? spring, summer, fall, winter? Morning, mid-day, evening?

And what do I do with them after I shoot them?

I'm not new to hunting by any means, just have never hunted coyote.

Thanks for any help!
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Re: Yotes! Need help

Postby TomKat » Tue May 01, 2012 8:38 pm

#4 Buckshot is a good load from a shotgun.

I have a lot of predator hunting info on my blog, its set up as a teaching resource of sorts. You might want to look at a lot of those posts, there is enough info there to answer all of those questions.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Bill Herian » Tue May 01, 2012 9:18 pm

If you don't care about killing them yourself and just want them gone, I would ask around and see if there are any trappers in your area. A skilled trapper will take many more dogs than you will with a firearm, and most likely for free if you invite someone to trap the farms.

Keep in mind, the more you take, the bigger litters they will have and the more new dogs will move into the area. You might just have to wait for the prey cycle to come back down before you start to notice less yotes. They are taking turkeys and some deer, but those arent mainstays in the coyote diet.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue May 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Rabbit are what they are really taking, there used to be tons of rabbits and now nobody has seen one in the last couple years. My uncle has also had 2 newborn calves attacked already this year. The mom stomped one of the yotes to death the first time, the second time they killed the calf but got away. The mom stood by the dead calf and fought off the coyotes as they came back.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Wed May 02, 2012 6:46 am

You will never get enough coyotes hunting them to make a difference!!!
Can you snare in your state? You'll have to Trap them or poison them if you want any kind of control. A helicopter and 12 gauge with copper BB is the only other affective way to control Coyotes!!!
:huh:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed May 02, 2012 6:54 am

There is one other method-

A pack of greyhounds ran over and over the same area will thin them down for a time.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby one2many » Sun May 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Duplex lover wrote:You will never get enough coyotes hunting them to make a difference!!!
Can you snare in your state? You'll have to Trap them or poison them if you want any kind of control. A helicopter and 12 gauge with copper BB is the only other affective way to control Coyotes!!!

TomKat wrote:There is one other method-

A pack of greyhounds ran over and over the same area will thin them down for a time.

Tom is right, i have staghounds lurchers and greyhounds and other working dogs i hunt them with
i havent lost any livestock to predation in many years
I'm way too baked to drive to the devil's house.
one2many
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon May 07, 2012 5:44 am

How often do you run those dogs at your place?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby one2many » Mon May 07, 2012 3:47 pm

TomKat wrote:How often do you run those dogs at your place?

my curs and working run everyday
my running hounds and sight hounds get run a couple times a week all year long except when planting corn or chopping silage(not always in home area)
Jeffy
I'm way too baked to drive to the devil's house.
one2many
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum