new to trappin

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

new to trappin

Postby canvas6 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Okay guys im new with trapping and I am after red fox mostly what is the best way to get them to walk across my trap ? any secrets to it. ? baits or anything ?
hold my beer and watch this sh%T
canvas6
hunter

Re: new to trappin

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:54 pm

Urine, fish, mice, muskrat, and possibly a few other things. You better have a very strong foot trap as well. We always lose a few a year. They are very smart animals so you may have to bait for a few times before setting the trap. I will tell you though, since you are just starting out, that you should ALWAYS get permission from the owners of the property before setting the traps and make sure you have your Fur Harvester License. We've caught a few dogs in traps and have had a lot of scuffles with "walk on" trappers on the land we trap. We have came out on top with these instances because we had permission to set the traps. I know all the farmers in Weber and they let us trap their land year round. Trapping is becoming more popular so it's always necessary to take these precautions.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby canvas6 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 pm

I use pigeons and they set my trap off and take the bird all the time, and I Know all the farmer out here too sence My famly own a dairy farm in west warren . I can get all the coon I want but I only want the foxes
hold my beer and watch this sh%T
canvas6
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Well, I once had an old timer tell me that he would catch fox with the female "part" of the fox with alcohol. I have yet to try it but I hear that you can catch any fox with another fox.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:43 pm

go to minntrapprod.com and look at the instructional dvd's
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:09 pm

have you ever learned to do hole sets and flat sets for fox? Can you use snares in your area? You need to know the rules and as mentioned have some kind of instruction by first hand with a seasoned trapper or from instructional DVD's or manuals on trapping. If they offer a trappers course in your state then I recommend that you take it There are post sets blind sets , dirt hole sets and flat sets which will all catch fox and coyote as well as bob cat and coons. You have to use bait or scents that will target the type of critter your after.

A dirt hole set is probably your easiest to learn. Digg a hole like a ground squirrel or ground hog would make and place some crushed up mice in it with a plug of dry grass over your bait then dig out for your trap just to one side or the other(left or right) approx and 6" out from the hole. The hole should be about 6-8" deep and it works better if you dig into the side of a bank or dry ditch so the fox has to come in from the side your trap is on always set where they are traveling and always have your trap below the hole and bed the trap so it is solid( will not move) and the jaws are packed underneath so they will keep the trap from rocking. Your chain should also be staked under the trap if at all possible. Set your pan tension to about 2lb and your ready for Mr. Fox.
Good Luck and may your traps be full of fur.
Greg
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:33 pm

Try snares!!!
We get 4 to one on coyotes using a snare over a trap.
:thumbsup:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum