Duck Hunting Forum banner

Coyotes that commit slowly

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  beretta24 
#1 ·
Had a yote come in over a small hill last night but he came in walking, at least when I could see him, which was from about 50-60 yards out. I wasn't positioned well for the shot and had to shift about 45 degrees. I was facing west, he came in from the SE and the call was to the SW of me about 20 yards. The wind was coming from the west and the second shooter was facing SW. The majority of the cover in the area was from a cattails around a lake to the south. We were setup against a tree with some secondary growth. I was using a shotgun.

My question is how would you handle that situation? Try to shift slowly, make a quick swing, wait to see if he would go all the way to the call and risk him catching our scent and bolting?

#2 ·
I too was out last night. In your situation I would shoot as soon as I could. If they are on the ice and in shotgun range the only way I would not shoot is if they were looking back at one of their buddies. My partner and I had two opportunity's and blew both of them. One was a watcher that I was going to pull the trigger of the 22-250 when my buddy saw me stand up and decided to do the same. I got one shot with him trotting away on the ice. The second was a sneaker that popped out much like yours. My partner shot first and missed. I tried putting some buckshot on the runner but never connected. Fun but frustrating.

#3 ·
I tried to shift slowly to him. He caught movement at about 40 yards and stopped so i stopped. He took a couple more steps and I shifted a little more. Then he stopped, and I continued to shift a little because I figured it was a now or never thing and he bolted. I had a decent look on the first shot and missed. In hindsight I think I would have done the same thing because he had a pretty close escape where I could lose him in the horizon knew I couldn't move quick without him catching me.

I see what you mean for a hunt over a lake though. If you can get the shot take it since it's not like they have anywhere to go. Oh well, still a great time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.