Savage or Ruger

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Savage or Ruger

Postby asmythe32 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:38 pm

I am going to buy a 243 soon and was tossing back and forth thesavage axis or the ruger american. This rifle will be used to strictly predator hunt and target shoot. I am not trying to win medals just kill some coyotes. I don't want to spend a lot as I don't hunt deer and you cannot hunt deer with a rifle in illinois. Which one would you prefer. I am leaning towards the Ruger because of the reviews I have read. What is your oppinion?
asmythe32
hunter

Re: Savage or Ruger

Postby bubba57 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:14 pm

asmythe32 wrote:I am going to buy a 243 soon and was tossing back and forth thesavage axis or the ruger american. This rifle will be used to strictly predator hunt and target shoot. I am not trying to win medals just kill some coyotes. I don't want to spend a lot as I don't hunt deer and you cannot hunt deer with a rifle in illinois. Which one would you prefer. I am leaning towards the Ruger because of the reviews I have read. What is your oppinion?

I have a Savage in a 243, Im very happy with it. It's a real tack driver. Im partial to Savage though. I also have 2 Rugers, a 10/22 and a 308 hawkeye. both are very good guns. I dont think you would go wrong with either one.
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:56 pm

:thumbsup: Boy we have a 243 savage that will shoot with the best. The right load will put all shots in the same hole. A 243 is a lot of rifle for coyotes to keep the fur. Think small and a bit slow if your looking to keep the fur. The digest I shoot is 85 gr and have killed many huge mule deer and a few elk. You don't need to go big ,go fast instead and you will have a 500/600 yard gun. There great shooters. :eek:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby Grahmcracker31 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:11 pm

I shoot a savage 243 and just killed a yote the other day i reccomend the winchester ballistic silvertips. I have been shooting the 95 grains bc thats what im sighted in for as i deer hunt with same set up. My neighbor is a big fan of the 55 grain silvertips but there wasnt hardly a entry hole and no exit with the 95 as long as u avoid heavy bone there will be minimal fur damage. Sorry to get off on ammo i kno ur question was about which gun is better. I believe u cant go wrong with either but savage has my vote ur paying more for the barrel and less for the name Ruger on the side of the barrel.
Grahmcracker31
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum