E calling questions

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

E calling questions

Postby dukcommander » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:16 am

I'm about to start doing some coyote hunting. I've seen a few in my fields the past couple of weeks while turkey hunting. I've got a fox pro call and a wounded rabbit decoy. My question is how much do you call and how often. And how long do u stay in one spot. Any other tips would be good too. Thanks
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Re: E calling questions

Postby Duplex lover » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:01 am

This time of year try a pup in distress too. We call for about a min, then shut it off for 3 or 4 then call again. Don't be afraid to mix up the calls. Start off very soft and increase the volume as you call. MOST the time you will see a coyote coming in the first 10 min. When you do watch how they react to a call and keep using that one and keep turning the sound down as they come in. The MOST important thing is the wind and DON'T move they can see movement from a LONG way away. IF we don't detect or here any thing after 20 to 25 min we leave drive a mile or so and try again. PS You Have to hide the truck for the coyotes view, They will not come in if they see your vehicle. :thumbsup:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna put it to use this weekend!
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 am

GOOD luck.
Try a bunch of stuff and let us know how well it all turns out. :grooving:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby dwhite16 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:50 pm

If its a new device make sure and familiarize yourself with it BEFORE going out to the field. Practice turning it off and on at different ranges, the farther it is away controlling it can become more difficult. Once the coyote comes running in you will want to shut it off. (That is if it is a remote controlled unit)
dwhite16
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:29 am

I am glad I checked this thread. I have been having a time getting to two coyotes at my dog training ground, they like to chase the setters. I had been using my rabbit and crow call and couldn't get them to commit to anything under 300yds, and it has been really windy here. I didn't want to educate them, I want them dead so I haven't take a shot. I borrowed my buddies e caller with the pup sound and got the bitch last night, now for the male.
This is the first time I used an e call and might have to pick one up, it is a Fox pro with remote, any other suggestions for an e call?
Thanks, Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Any fox pro is great. If you plan on calling fairly often and serious get as "much" pro you can afford. :thumbsup:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:33 pm

Once again thank you for the info.
I checked on some e calls, and just like everything else I do you can spend yourself in to a poor house.
For now I am going to stick with my Circe mouth calls, Olt crow call, and mainly hunt during the fur season. This was just a removal job. I also found the den and made it go away.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Sun May 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Last night I went on my second yote hunt ever. Have an e-call. Ran the dying rabbit(loudets one i got on there) for a minute or two. shut off for like 5 then ran it again, shut off for 5. Then did a few lone coyote howls, and aout 3 min later and dog came in to the field on a bee line to me, bad choice. Killed my first yote :biggrin: dunno what did it, but thats what i did.
You pay for you!

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum