Trapping coyotes

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Trapping coyotes

Postby dukcommander » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:22 pm

I have some #2 duke traps is this the best size to use for coyotes. Also is a dirt hole set best to do. I've tried that with ground up meat and coyote urine and coyote gland. Any other bait better than others. I've heard dog food works too. Sorry for all the questions I just want to know what y'all re doing I've tried my method and have yet to catch a dog and I am absolutely covered in coyotes. I mean bad.
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Re: Trapping coyotes

Postby gunner1973 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:53 pm

i havnt trapped in a few years but i used to do all dirt or blind sets , usually off the side of a trail they are using alot , i wouldnt set it in the trail cause then your gonna get whatever walks down the trail ,which is usually a skunk or a porkupine i used coyote urine but i talked to and old goverment trapper that used to use a sawsall and cut up tires into 1 or 2 inch chunks and bury them under a hint of dirt behind the trap , at first i thought he was just joking with me until he gave me a bag of it to try ......it works , tires have an odor that smells like another dogs urine , hense the reason dogs pee on your truck tires hope this helps ,
gunner1973
hunter

Trapping coyotes

Postby side-slippin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:40 pm

While size of trap is relevant, first be sure your traps are "strong" enough for the trashing a dog is goin to put on them. As far as size of trap, trappers use 1.5s up to 3s and even bigger for coyotes. Myself, I run mb-550s with the occasional "cheaper" trap when setting close to roads/ people; #2s will work just fine.

Dirt hole sets can be deadly, especially on fox. But make sure you learn how to use flat sets/ scent posts/ trench sets/ etc.. They all have their place on a productive line. As far as lures, try different ones and keep a log book of what lure/ bait combo you used at which set. This will help you key in on what works better in your area.

The most important thing I can stress to you right now is scent control and trap placement at your set.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:17 pm

steppin sticks are deadly if done right
gunner1973
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:45 am

Sorry but I believe you are just wasteing time post about trapping on here. I would try this site. http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthre ... um_summary
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby coyote2 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Duke #2 will hold them but in my experience they get bent out of shape with the dogs up here and require constant tuning. I use #2 bridger and #3 montanas modified. The most important things to consider are location, bedding the trap rock solid, trap placement and scent control. Just realized how old this post is.
coyote2
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum