Crow Hunting

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Crow Hunting

Postby Mallyard » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Any tips for a beginer crow hunter? how to scout, decoys, calls. etc. Just looking to get some post season action to hold me till spring turkeys and bass.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ALMODUX » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:16 pm

Decoys, callss, etc. can all help....but I've probably killed more without a decoy than with....just getting under a flight path to a roost area or slipping within rimfire range of a roost area. Nothing beats a live crow for calling/decoying and killing more crows. :mrgreen:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:05 pm

I don't have a ton of experience hunting crows but I use both dekes and a crow calling tape. I have about 10 decoys and they work pretty good. You are definately in the right part of the country for crows.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:14 am

You want to hunt Black Eagles do ya?
Use a tape or recorded sounds of crow calls.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby mallardman68 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:29 am

If you have access to a river by all means try it there.
Years ago I took a buddy on his first crow hunt on the river, we tied up to some blowdowns and blended right in, turned on the crow reveille and shot until we were empty.....final tally 54 confirmed kills and countless ones that glided into the trees.
The crows didn't seem as cautious over the water as they do in a field setting.
Save a duck-shoot a predator!
mallardman68
hunter

Postby HUNT24/7 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:50 am

crowbusters.com
I use a Faulks mouth call or Mallardtone mouth call & 6 GHG flocked decoys. You can hunt crows pretty much anywhere, I like hunting around farms the best. The most important thing to learn is how to call when to call & what to say to them.
HUNT24/7
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:46 am

yep get yourself some good mouth calls and get an instructional cd or tape to learn how to use them. The mallardtone, gibson and jack mincey hand call s are the best. Bob Aronsohn's Hand CAlling Crows CD is great to learn basic and advanced hand calling techniques.
Crow hunting is a blast
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:11 am

over the water, eh? I have a good spot in mind. anybody got any theories why they would be less cautious over the water?
Mallyard, look over on crowbusters.com they got a ton of info over there.
Besides being downright fun crow hunting increases waterfowl survival rates. (or so I'm told)
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby Krustyklimber » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:43 am

Check your game laws, crows are a Federally regulated migratory game bird.

Hunting them out of season, can run you into some serious trouble.

Johnny Stewart's Crow and Owl Fight is another great calling tape.

Krusty Image
Birds!!!
Krustyklimber
hunter

Postby chezz » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:05 pm

We set out a few decoys and had a call but we ended up being where they wanted to be as well..We had a chance to be located in a massive silage bin and we shot the hell out of the birds until we ran out of ammo..
We ended up with around 90-100 birds..after about 3-4 hours

BERETTA XTREMA2 WITH THE WAD WIZARD SUPREME
chezz
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:37 am

Great job on the crows!! I would love a 100 bird day.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby Wld Fowl » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:54 pm

O.K. so kill them like they are just nothing and yes it is not to hard to do. But do you eat them?

I know a friend that eats them down in SC his family loves them.
Ryan
Wld Fowl
hunter

Postby Ryan Hill » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:12 am

i just take them off the rocks, out of the fields, and off the telephone poles... when I'm out yote hunting :yes:
Last edited by Ryan Hill on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Hill
hunter

Postby emt-rbrown » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:29 am

in michigan our rules state you can kill crows if they are doing or about to cause damage. they are always about to do damage.
emt-rbrown
hunter

crow

Postby Just Ducky » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:38 pm

I have great results with crow/owl fight tapes and crow/hawk fight tapes. The crows come POURING in to help their buddies fight the cro or hawk. You dont need a hawk or owl decoy but it couldnt hurt. i hang a few black rags in the beanches and a few on the ground to look like crows and start the call. BE READY BEFORE YOU START THE CALL! They will be hauling tail to get to that fight. and once you drop a few the scene becomes more realistic. Wing one or two to flotter in the drop zone and you have more reason for the others to come to linger over the drop zone.
Just Ducky
hunter

Postby dgraves » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:30 pm

Here is how we do it in Oklahoma. We go out and find the oldest deadest tree out in our pasture. We put a e-caller under the tree and back out to about 75 to 100 yards and pop them off with 17 hmr's. If you are lucky you will wing one and let him crow and hop along the ground and then the crows flock in there.
dgraves
State Moderator

Postby cjg » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:29 pm

I use a crow hawk fight tape and was putting out decoys but found I did better in some spots without. If they can't see what they think is the fight they keep flying around looking if they saw my owl and crow decoys they would land in a tree usually out of range and eventually fly off. I found the best setup is where the trees were short so when they were circling around they were in range verses the areas with taller trees they circled and were out of range most of the time.
cjg
hunter

Postby floating redneck » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:51 pm

in an effort to hunt them without investing much money ive hunted them with an owl hooter and crow call works great
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby duckhunter33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:08 pm

we have a foxpro, get a crow owl fight, an owl decoy, and you will be good ta go
5 ring necks
2 wood ducks
10 pintails
42 mallards
13 widgeons
4 gadwall
7 teal
2 canvasbacks
51 geese
++ crows
duckhunter33
hunter

Postby liv4adrenilin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Haha that stuff is amazing what do u guys use to shoot em usually shotguns, or 22s? If you use a shotgun wat kinda shot? i might have to get into this it sounds interesting. Wat do u do with all the birds on a 100 bird day?
first year...1 black duck
2 mallards
4 woodies
limit on geese
liv4adrenilin
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:31 am

Use both. When I go with a friend of mine I use a 12 gauge to shoot the flyers and he uses a .17 HMR to shoot the perchers. Ive hunted them in fields with layout blinds and decoys that works well but before I had that stuff I would find an open spot in the canopy of a woods (when the leaves are on) and set up calling there. Most of the time they would just fly over to check it out and by the time they saw you it was too late. Not a good tactic if you have a sore neck though, youll be resting your head on your shoulder blades almost the whole time. A scattergun is imperative in this situation. I normally use a heavy 3" 5 shot (about $10/box) or you can get away with using 2 3/4" 6 shot heavy game load (about $6/box). There was a question on here about why they are more comfortable over water. My theory would be that they dont have any preditors on the water. Its not like a great white shark is going to leap from the deapths and pick em out of the sky or even a 50" musky for that matter. I think crows are greatly underestimated they are actually very smart. Their very communicative having different tones for danger, distress, food, etc. One wrong "squawk" could send them into the next county. Given that...Good calling could bring em from the next county. Crow vocabulary is much greater than with ducks and geese. Sure we all use tons of different sounds when calling ducks but real live ducks basically only have 3 different sounds; hail, quack or grunt, and chuckle. As hunters we throw in the comeback call the greeting call the laydown call, etc. With crows its almost like morse code. Ive heard 1 long with 3 shorts, 5 shorts, 3 longs etc. Im not sure what it means and I really dont think anyone, even scientists can understand a crows language completely. When Ive heard crows in real life it seems like the 1 long and 3 shorts is a no no every time I hear that the crows are hightailing it out of here, but 5 shorts followed by 3 longs will usually bring in other crows, dont ask me what it means, those are just observations made sitting on my front porch watching them fly around, out of season. Are these observations false? No. Are they coincidence? Maybe. Do I really know what Im talking about? No. Do I type fast and have a tendency to ramble on about useless facts and otherwise wasted knowledge? Yes.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby duckhunter33 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:22 pm

and the number one feeling you get from shooting a crow is that supposedly you save 120 ducks a year for each dead crow. and thats awesome if your an avid duck hunter like me
5 ring necks
2 wood ducks
10 pintails
42 mallards
13 widgeons
4 gadwall
7 teal
2 canvasbacks
51 geese
++ crows
duckhunter33
hunter

Postby liv4adrenilin » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:49 pm

that pretty cool

Do I really know what Im talking about? No. Do I type fast and have a tendency to ramble on about useless facts and otherwise wasted knowledge? Yes.

:lol:
first year...1 black duck
2 mallards
4 woodies
limit on geese
liv4adrenilin
hunter

eatem/??????????

Postby zier » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:07 pm

so how many of yall eat these things
zier
hunter

Re: eatem/??????????

Postby JustinNH » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:14 pm

zier wrote:so how many of yall eat these things

No one I know. I know there are recipies out there though, so people definately do
JustinNH
State Moderator

Next

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum