Dead coyote load users a question for you?

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Dead coyote load users a question for you?

Postby loon » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:26 pm

I picked up some dead coyote load 3 1/2 inch 12gauge 1 5/8oz 1350fps Tshot i'm going to be using it in my super Black Eagle I want to do some patterning but at the cost of the stuff I want to at least start off with what most of you have found works best. So what Choke do you recommend? How far away will this stuff kill a coyote? My plan was to set up my gun with what you gentlemen recommend and then pattern with that. Is 50+ yards a possibility?
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Re: Dead coyote load users a question for you?

Postby Bernie P. » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:54 am

Your best bet is to check here- http://www.predatormastersforums.com/fo ... hreads.php
Lots of Benelli shooters there.For the most part 40-45 yards is about as far as you can get consistent kills on coyotes with any load.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Hevi shot makes a choke for dead coyote. Its apparently good to 75 yards with that choke but id be max 50 yards with the choke.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:35 am

Yes 50 yards can be done pretty regularly with Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot loads. I use a IMP/MOD choke with all of the different denser than lead loads that I use on coyotes.

Most of the denser than lead loads pattern very tight so I don't use my Dead Coyote choke or my full choke when shooting the denser than lead shot.

I prefer the Rem Wingmaster HD BB or the Federal Heavyweight #2 shot over the Dead Coyote T shot or the Rem HD Predator T shot because of the denser patterns.

The Winchester Xtended Range B shot waterfowl or B shot coyote loads are 12g/CC just like Hevi-Shot is and it is about $2.00 to $3.00 per shell cheaper.

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/products.asp?cat=12560

Check out the above link for the shells listed below. They also have B shot coyote loads.
Winchester Extended Range High Density Waterfowl 12 Ga. 3" 1 3/8 oz #B 100 Rounds Ammunition Md: SWXR123B
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:09 pm

thomashamm2 wrote:Hevi shot makes a choke for dead coyote. Its apparently good to 75 yards with that choke but id be max 50 yards with the choke.

Last time I checked their site that choke was not listed there.I'm pretty sure it has been discontinued or at least for the Mbergs 835/935 guns.Carlsons has a coyote choke made for HS ammo and Kick's has their Howler H also for use with HS ammo.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:31 pm

thomashamm2 wrote:Hevi shot makes a choke for dead coyote. Its apparently good to 75 yards with that choke but id be max 50 yards with the choke.

The Hevishot choke is super...I have really gotten into shooting yotes with a 12 gauge
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:33 pm

The Dead Coyote shells are far and away the best for Coyote hunting
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:38 pm

I hand load "F" in a 3 1/2 inch version , and with 39 gr 'steel' powder it will in deed pattern and kill coyotes out 'bout that far with a real tight choke, I have a dead coyote choke on the 870. :thumbsup:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:10 pm

***Ive only used 3" hevi T shot havent tried 3.5" so maybe results will differ with that load.****

I’ve got a SBE with a Carlson’s dead coyote choke. I use federal 3" #4 buckshot. I regularly drop coyotes at 50-60 yards with it. Hevi shot T works great, it prob patterns a little better than #4 buck but I cant say it kills them any better then #4 buck at the range I shoot yotes at. In my setup (SBE w/ carlsons choke) my guns pattern is very tight out to 40 yards with #4 buck, with nearly all the pellets in the 30" circle. It starts to open up fast after that though, but so does hevi shot albiet nat as fast as the #4 buck. I can honestly say Ive never lost a coyote (several doz) shot with this combo at 50-60 yds with an occasional one out to maybe 65 yds. Ive only shot at 2 out to 70-75 yards. One dropped dead, the other ran off (75yds or more) and I shot it a few min later with the rifle when it can back into my dog running around. When i skinned it I saw poor penetration. Still amazed it came back in. LOL

I always try for head shots. But at 50-60 yards you will always have a pattern big enough that you get them in the neck, shoulder ribs etc. At the longer range I see slightly better penetration with #4 buck than I do with hevi T. This is just based on the number of pellets that you find just under the skin. You will get more pellets on target with the hevi shot though, but I seem to get less penetration.

To me the cost advantage of $1.00/shell #4 buck vastly over shadows any possible or conceived advantage you get with $5-$6 per shell hevi shot rounds. Its good stuff dont get me wrong. But for me anyway real life experience hasnt shown me its worth it.

If a shotgun was my primary weapon MAYBE id use hevi shot T's but my shotgun is for backup on hard charging dogs that are committed and won’t stop. Frankly 70 yards is a long ways out there if they come into that then they will most likely come another 10yds.

Ive tried 3" lead BB loads. I personally dont like them. At close range it hammers a yote but you end up with too many holes in the hide that can open up when fleshing and more fur damage plus I didnt see consistant solid performance at 50 yds and beyond.

I wish someone would make hevi shot in size F. I think that would be killer combo.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum