Huntin Cats

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Huntin Cats

Postby Snaph » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:06 pm

Did you guys see this thing about Wisconsin trying to pass legislation to hunt wild cats? Feral cat whatever you want to call them. This is from the article:

"At least two other upper Midwestern states, South Dakota and Minnesota, allow wild cats to be shot -- and have for decades. Minnesota defines a wild, or feral, cat as one with no collar that does not show friendly behavior, said Kevin Kyle with that state's Department of Natural Resources."
"Every year in Wisconsin alone, an estimated 2 million wild cats kill 47 million to 139 million songbirds, according to state officials. Despite the astounding numbers, Smith's plan has been met with fierce opposition from cat lovers."

A radio talk show host I listen to (Tammy Bruce) was blowing a gasket about this. A guy called in and told her of the damage to wildlife that even the common house cat makes, let alone wild cats. She went on to blast people for hunting morning doves. She said "Ohh how hard is that, shooting a dove." (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) Well, as mush as I enjoy listening to her show, and agree with her about 70% of the time...sometimes she is just off base.

She went on to say "how would you feel if it was an open season on stray dogs?'' Well, if the stray dog was obviously wild and chasing deer, I would blast it. I have never seen this and don't hope to, but the law allows it. I do know one thing, this will pizz off PETA, and that is always a good thing. If you don't want your cat shot, keep it inside and put a freaking collar in it. I don't think it is that hard if you love your cat.
Snaph
hunter

Postby the_duckinator » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:02 pm

I completely agree. At the referendum meetings, a lot of the people opposing shooting feral cats were little girls. I don't know why some people think that it's ok for cats to go kill whatever they want, but we can't kill the cat that's killing our game birds. People don't let their dog roam around outside wherever they want, why should they let their cat? Those people only care about shooting them because some people have them as pets. You don't see people protesting pheasant hunting like they are for shooting cats. As for me, I love cats, they're delicious lol. I say kill'em dead.
the_duckinator
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:15 pm

I have voiced my opinion on feral cats for years to the DNR in NS and now in our county they are fair game. They even went as far as to propose a bi law that would make owners of cats have to license them for a fee and to keep them penned or tied or inside at all times. Any cat without a collar and tag would be considered a feral cat. Any cat that is licensed and at large could be impounded and the owners fined. It's about time that cat owners have to be accountable for their pets the same as dog owners have had to be for years. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:00 pm

I completely agree get r done. :getdown: .
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:06 am

I really do not care if they have on a collar - I see them stalking game, and I get a chance - they is dead. Many people let their "kitty" out at night on purpose, to roam and hunt. :pissed: Maybe we should put a season on the those kitty owners, like $1,000 fine if you allow your cat to roam. The primary reason to lack of song birds in the US is cats, habitat loss is right behind it. In the Twin cities the lack of song birds is startling. A big metro area where the discharge of guns is verbotum. I remember reading about the WI cat controversy a while back--and a DNR report, if I remember correctly it said some like 400+ million birds are killed in WI alone by cats. :eek: Most are song birds, but obviuosly some are waterfowl and upland hnting birds like pheasant and grouse, dove, etc..

It is really bad right now, we have had rather warm winters up here thus alot of cats survived the winters and are now multiplying like crazy. A hard winter will kill off 90% of the cats that are wild. I had friend with a cat door, and he had ferral cats coming into his house to eat and stay warm back in 96 which was a harsh winter. I told him what those cats do all year and he would not believe because he said he feeds them to no need for them to eat the birds ---- I says what do you think those cats live on the other 9 months of the year when they are not around? He started stammering and that point... as he knew I was right.

I have caught collared cats 1/4 mile from any homes with the trail run sets for Coon using Connibears body gripping traps, often I'd get over 5 cats a night when I had out 100+ traps out. Granted my target was Coon, but I knew those cats would not be killing anymorw ducks or pheasants either.

A good set up is a pile of cat food out behind the barn for about a week at beginning of the winter when snow is on the ground so you can see them easily, sit up in the loft and wait for them to appear and you can often get several cats with one shot. :mrgreen: Another good way is use a 220 Conibear trap with a bucket and tuna fish bait set in late fall. You never know if you are going to have a cat or a Coon in the trap. The above is used by a friend of mine to rid a couple of old abandoned farm steads on his farm of the critters.

So save a thousand birds-kill a cat :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:48 am

Get em H20 I always wandered why there were leash laws for dogs and not cats.

There are cats around the overpasses where I get my training pigeons. Pisses me off, because I know they go up there an do a number on them. If it wasn't so close into the city the .22 pistol might have to come out. :getdown:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:57 am

while i have no problem with the idea of classifying feral cats as predators thus opening season on them. i would offer a word of encouragement to those more vocal on the issue to beware of how you portray hunters in the public's eye.

The liberal media is already spinning this to sound like hunters will be roaming our neighborhoods with guns and that poor little fluffy is in danger of getting whacked by 'big bad hunter' if she so much steps outside the front door.

this is, unlike most issues, a very sensitive subject for many people that would usually not care about the issues between hunters and antis. this brings it right into the homes of most people in the US and gives the antis plenty of ammo for making us look bad. please encourage your friends and others to handle this subject with care, intelligence, and awareness for our image.

:salude:

-Ed
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Snaph » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:33 pm

Tammy Bruce had another melt down on the radio again today. I thought I was about to hear her head explode. Somebody brought up the point of how many birds the cats kill...she would respond with "there must be enough birds around for them to eat." I wanted to call her and tell her that wild birds are a natural part of the enviroment, feral cats are not. In her eyes cats can do no wrong. She asked what other animal on the planet besides man kills for fun. A caller told her cats do. She became rather shrill at that. She did say it was ok to hunt raccoon because they are "pests." Well what in the hell does she think wild cats are? Then she went on about how men hate cats because we can't control them...bla bla bla bla.

I can guarantee you if I saw a cat of any kind getting into a duck box or nest, it will lose all nine lives at once. If I saw a house cat going after a field mouse...I don't think I would send "mittens" to see the Egyptian cat God. Swamp is right, it is a touchy subject. But logic must prevail over raw emotion. I really doubt that hunters are going to gear up with cat nip, plush mouse toys, a roll of string and a scratching post, to go cat hunting. This is about controlling a pest, not making little girls cry that "Fifi" now has a bloody stump for a head. The "cat crowd" needs to calm down and think. Like I said. Keep your cat inside.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:56 pm

Snafu - you never know..maybe a whole new line of hunting gear will spring up from this. :laughing:

seriously though. you, i, and the rest of us know that the image portrayed by the liberal media is not an accurate or even rational account of the real issue at hand. it is simply a way for them to target hunters and make us look bad in the eyes of the general public.

there is no reasoning with those that won't listen to reason. while we can joke about it or talk loosely here or with our peers. just please be conscious of how we speak about it when in "mixed" company. :thumbsup:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:13 pm

speakin of hunting cats, i shot one yesterday in my subdivision with my air rifle. It was climbing on to my dads aluminum storage building. I had one of those co2 powered Crosmans w/ a scope. Had to shoot it twice at 50 yrds.
Grear stuff though. It was white w/ some black patches. Just left it there and it was gone this mornin. Dog must have got it.
O well, that is just one less cat I have to worry about driving our dog crazy!
frazier2209
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:18 pm

here's something else i found
[siteimg]461[/siteimg]
frazier2209
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:29 pm

if theres enough birds for the cats to kill then there must be enough cats for us to kill
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby gahunter » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:30 pm

What is the best way to prepare a cat for the table. Normally when I go to eat one I like it hairless, warm, and moist, but that is just my opinion. Does anyone uses any special marinades or spices? :toofunny:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Snaph » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:49 pm

Yes, some drinks, a nice dinner out at her favorite place to eat and a Bic. Flowers are a good marinade. If it was only that easy. :mrgreen:
Snaph
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:09 am

gahunter wrote:What is the best way to prepare a cat for the table. ...

most chinese food joints can answer this for you easily.... :getdown: :toofunny: :getdown:
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 2labs » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:23 am

I have always disliked cats, the big problem is when your neighbor has 15 or 20 running loose!!! !!15 or 20 running loose !.
2labs
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:09 pm

:getdown: Is there any subject that cann't be twisted by some pervert? :toofunny:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby gahunter » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:18 pm

No! :salude:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:40 pm

Our liberal democratic Governor Doyle said today that there is no way that the cat killing bill will pass here in Wisconsin. He said it would be an embarrasment to our great state. I say his cat first! :thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:09 pm

I was just listening to an AM radio talk show and they were talking about the cat thing. I was in and out of the truck so I didn't catch much about killing cats, but when I got home Ingrid Newkirk (President/co-founder of PETA) was on there. She is CRAZY. I am currently writing a term paper against PETA so she gave me plenty of stuff to use.

Has anyone heard anything about her will for when she dies.
She wants her flesh to be BBQ so that people will smell it, and say that it smells good, and then tell them that it's human flesh.

She wants some of her skin tanned.

She wants part of her liver sent to France for some kind of protest.

Basically she wants her body used for protests for animals even after she is dead.
I know this sounds crazy, well maybe not for animal right's hippies, but it is what she just said on the radio.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby tstrong » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:39 pm

Wild cats are down right filthy. They piss on everything and you can't get that smell out. Only time will take it away. I live in the city and have a daisy bb gun for quick access. The cats avoid my house, garden and flower beds. If I can't get to the gun a nice flat rock will do too.
tstrong
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:12 pm

tstrong wrote:Wild cats are down right filthy. They piss on everything and you can't get that smell out. Only time will take it away. I live in the city and have a daisy bb gun for quick access. The cats avoid my house, garden and flower beds. If I can't get to the gun a nice flat rock will do too.

sling shots w/marbles for ammo work very well for this too. they get the point across a lot better, imo. with a little practice, you'd be surprised at how accurate you can be with a sling shot.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:44 pm

I guess I forgot to mention the wrist rocket. (thanks) I shoot 1/4" nuts with it. I have a box full of them.
tstrong
hunter

Re:

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:33 am

Greg Wile wrote:I have voiced my opinion on feral cats for years to the DNR in NS and now in our county they are fair game. They even went as far as to propose a bi law that would make owners of cats have to license them for a fee and to keep them penned or tied or inside at all times. Any cat without a collar and tag would be considered a feral cat. Any cat that is licensed and at large could be impounded and the owners fined. It's about time that cat owners have to be accountable for their pets the same as dog owners have had to be for years. :thumbsup:

I trap a small lizard reserve/sancturary to keep down mustilid,rodent and cat numbers. I was recently asked how to tell if a cat was feral...
well to borrow a term heard during the early 70s "if its dead and vietnamese its a viet cong" was my reply
there is only one good sort of cat out in the wilds
a dead one.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Re: Huntin Cats

Postby luie b » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:02 am

Why do they have to "legalize" cat hunting? I thought it was a general rule if you see a cat away from a farm or house you should just shoot it. We've got 2 farm cats that hang around our place and I've noticed the one likes to venture around quite a bit so I'm thinking since I've noticed lots of quail are mingling in the draws around the house that the cat might need to "run away" if you catch my drift.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum