Stinkin Coons

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Stinkin Coons

Postby Muskrat » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:51 am

Went to catch chubs for catfishing and got hung in a sycamore tree.that jutted out over the "chub hole" so I climbed out to retrieven my hook.
There I found an empty duck nest save the egg shells.And then on the bank more egg shells.
My guess is a coon got them.
Doggone predators got a whole clutch of eggs. :pissed:
Muskrat
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:31 am

I know it sucks but that is part of nature.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:26 am

*ques up the song 'Circle of Life' from the movie "Lion King" *

yeah..it sucks to see that, but like Greg said. it's the way it is. i would be more upset if it was apparent that some kids found the nest and trashed it.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:53 pm

:withstupid:
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:00 pm

I saw a funny thing the other day. There was a mallard hen walking down the side walk in an extremely urban area. The hen had about 10 ducklings with her. Hope the ducklings make it! It was just funny seeing them walk right down the sidewalk like it was there for them.

Saw four goslings with a couple Canadas over the weekend too! I love seeing that kind of stuff.

There's the other side of things for you Muskrat. Makes up for some of the lost eggs. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Muskrat » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:31 pm

Yea I know its just part of nature ect. But I still would rather have seen a bunch of baby ducks.I suppose the Ol Coon gotta eat too!
Muskrat
hunter

Postby gahunter » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:23 pm

Did anyone see the story about the hen mallard that built her nest outside of the FBI building in DC. Some of the agents actually put up a steel fence around the nest area to keep any harm from coming their way. They said when the eggs hatch they are going to be moved to a more natural setting. Pretty neat story. :salude:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:46 pm

that is cool.

back on Solomon's Island, MD where my folks still live, there is an area by the marina that usually sports a number of hatchlings each year. so much so that they have even put up a "Duck Crossing" sign..with a pic of a big mommy duck being followed by her little ones. lol.

not unusual to come around the corner and have to wait for them to mosey on across the road.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:40 pm

Not really a part of nature to have red fox on the priaries--they were introduced via England.

The ducks need 15 to 20% sucess on the nest to break even. All the studies I have read about are 0 to 20% with an average of 8% :eek: Which means less and less ducks each year--all due to predators/lack of suitable grassalnds. Red fox and Coon are tied for about 25-30% and then Mink and skunks at 15-20% each.

The loss of grassland nesting habitat is appalling in the Dakotas and CA. It is the least amount of grasslands since CRP started IMO which does NOT bode well for the overall duck population.

You Pheasnt hunters will understand this--how long does a dog take to cover 160 acres looking for pheasants? So how long do you think a red fox which depends on their life to obtain food would take to find a nesting duck or pheasant? Bottom line is large tracks of grasslands (40% of the township is the threshold for highest natural nesting conditions) is what is needed to obtain 30% nesting success, where the grasslands are hardly available, it success is zero-yes 0 % nesting sucess because the birds are so concentrated and thus easy for the predators to find. :pissed:

On a side note, I was pleased to see more winter wheat being planted in ND than ever before which can be of help.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby donell67 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:07 pm

hopefully they will have more predator management areas like they do in canada. nest success went way up without predators.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dukkilr6 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:28 am

If we all shot one coon or cyote a year I wonder if it would even put a dent in their population. I have no problem with that I normally get one or two with my truck. :mrgreen: Anyways I'm gonna try trappin coons around my slough and see what happens.
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:45 pm

Leave the coyotes alone. This is why, they are a less descuctive predator. Meaning they eat a lot less ducks than foxes do. Where there are coyotes, they will kill of push out all the red foxes-as such, the coyotes range is 3 to 4 times bigger than a fox is, thus, there will be 3 to 4 times less predatation where coyotes are compared to where red fox are.

So kill the red foxes, coons, minks, and crows. :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:48 pm

Here is a happier thing to think about.

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/gsphunter/babygeese.jpg[/img][/img]
gsphunter
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:30 pm

:getdown: thats a nice pic gsp :getdown:
frazier2209
hunter

Postby benelliduckman » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:29 pm

Nice pic hope to get some of those soon. Nothing has hatched in the area yet.
benelliduckman
hunter

Postby killindux » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:53 pm

I've killed on the average of 20 coons and 50 possums a year the last 3 years. Not managin predators or nothin, just some drunk fun. No firearms either :salude:
killindux
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum