Crows

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Crows

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:36 pm

Crows. Do any of you fellas hunt em. I was ready a topic on the forum last week about darned coons. I've heard that crows are a nasty threat to duck eggs and ducklings. Not to mention many upland birds.

I've never crow hunted. I stumbled onto a site last month www.crowbusters.com. It was very interesting.

Does your state have a crow season or a limit. Here in CA the season ended 4/5 and the limit is 24 a day.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby take EM' close » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:30 pm

Ya we hunt them ALOT here in Wyoming. All of us hate them here....sometimes they come into my backyard and eat our dog food so I just tore a hole in my screen and I pop them with my pellet gun. :mrgreen: Them things are such a nusince but a lot of times we go out in fields and next to roosts and sometimes we even bust them out of their roosts. Anyway....if you need any tips on hunting these darn thing, I can SURELY help, I love crow hunting and I'm a pretty avid crow hunter!! :thumbsup:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:40 pm

I shot one at work Sunday with my blowgun. I shot him square in the head, he flew off into a nearby tree, with the dart in the side of his head, then he had the audascity to caw at me like he was saying "ha ha" then he fell out of the tree dead as door nail! That goes down as one of the best kills under my belt :salude: I've hunted them here in Wisconsin with a crow and owl fight tape played on the boom box. One owl decoy and a couple crow decoys and the fun begins. I love shooting flying carp! :thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Admin2 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:21 am

Seems to me I just read an article in the last wwek or 2 about an article from 40-50 years back that was reprinted somewhere about how the crows account for a huge portion of the duck nests that are raided in the prairies by Crows. Maybe a CA article. A concerted effort was at hand back then to shoot as many as possible becuase 1 adult crow was responsible for about soo many eggs eaten and also for killing the ducklings. :eek:

Save a bunch of ducks-shoot a crow :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:12 am

they'll play havoc on a garden too. have killed many of them for that offense. creating problems with ducks just adds fuel to the fire...
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:32 am

Here in Massachusetts we have a season on crows. The season generally runs from Early July through early April. Pretty much the only time the crow season is closed is from april until early July. There is no daily limit on crows. The one thing about hunting crows here though is that you can only hunt them on Friday, Saturday, (no sunday hunting in MA) and Monday during the open season on crows.

Crows are alot more wary than one might think. They are one of the most intelligent birds out there and after you shoot at em once or twice, boy do they wise up. I think they are excellent wing shooting practice as no one shot is exactly the same, and you are doing your part for wildlife management and public safety. In this area crows have been known to carry west nile virus which can be deadly to humans.

I actually wish I could locate more places to hunt crows before and after the waterfowling season ends. MA is not an easy place to get permission on private property, even some of the farmers are anti hunting here. :help:
Mike M.
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:14 am

California is just as hard. If you haven't heard there are a lot of them thar liberals out here. There is land all over and you just can't get permission. or the biggest problem is figuring out who owns the prop to get permission.

on crowbusters they said that there was study in canada couple years ago and 1 crow was believed to be responsible for around 120 ducks being destroyed. That year they believed that crows killed 20 mill. ducks. Mean while hunters took only 11 mil.

It isn't fair that they get the bigger share.

kill crows!!!!!
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby Snaph » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:34 pm

I blast them when I can. We are loaded with crows around here. Nobody hunts them anymore. Like Mike M said they are smart. They know they are safe in the city and will come in close, out in the country they keep their distance. I figured out why you never see a dead crow on the side of the road...there is always another one in a nearby tree yelling "Caw, Caw, Caw". Ok that was bad, but I could not help myself.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:06 pm

Have any of you eaten crow? I've read that it's pretty bad. On a final note, I can't get to that crowbusters site. I even tried a google search for it and I still couldn't get in.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:02 pm

Trois_ I just went to my favorites, where i saved the crow busters and i couldn't get to the site either. It was about 1 month ago that i found it. And from my reading some of the people there had been members of the site for a couple of yrs. It wasn't a fly by night.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby frazier2209 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:05 pm

thats crazy. it worked for me yesterday, but it won't work now. Maybe their site is just down right now for updates or something like that.
frazier2209
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:11 pm

maybe we crashed by me mentioning it on the forum? man thats powerful.

I have not eaten nor do i plan. but all of the crow sites have recipes for them. I think my main problem with hunting them would be what would i do. I'm not gonna pluck em. I'm not gonna freezem and use them for my dog training. and it just doesn't feel right to throw away a buch of bird even if they are some murderouse crows.

try www.thecrowroost.com

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:57 pm

We hunt crows a bunch around here. Like ya'll said they are very smart. We use a friend of mine's electronic caller for the calling part. I also got some of those styrafoam dove decoys & painted them flat black. Put them out in a small field on the ground & start calling. You better make sure that gun is loaded before you start calling because they can come in fast. :laughing:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:36 pm

www.crowbusters.com is back up and runnin

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:02 am

From the Crowbusters website: Where their ranges overlap, crows severely impact the annual waterfowl populations. When the hens begin laying, crows break open and eat the eggs. Later they will return and devour the fledglings. In the 40's a biological survey was conducted that really shows the damage crows can cause to the waterfowl in the Canadian "Duck Factory". It was shown that crows in close proximity to duck nesting areas took an average of 110 to 120 eggs or fledglings per crow per year, approximately 20,000,000 ducks. During the same year, sportsman only took 11,000,000 ducks. A common slogan of the time was "Kill a crow, Save a duck". At a time when waterfowl seasons are being dramatically reduced and even canceled, the survival rate of waterfowl at their breeding grounds is paramount. Shooting crows can make a real difference. Crows also take a heavy toll on upland game birds, including direct responsibility for at least 4 1/2 percent nest depredation on ruffed grouse.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:49 pm

If I remember migratory bird treaty history correctly,the reason we don't have a year round no limit season on crows anymore is that Mexico demanded protections on crows as a condition of its participation in the migratory treaty for waterfowl.
Seems that the crow is the Mexican national bird and they didn't like the US blasting them year round.
For myself I need to upgrade my gear for crows,new decoys and calls and stuff.I heard of a hunter using an old piece of brown carpet cut out as a deer carcass that was a great crow magnet.I'll try anything once!
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum