Trappers! Post up.

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Trappers! Post up.

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:58 am

My old boat and some of my gear.
Last edited by Greg Wile on Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:49 pm

I used to be a semi-pro, meaning I trapped full time for several months of the year. Then the prices went to hell 17 years ago, and have not set a trap 15.5 years now
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:00 pm

This next winter, my best friend and I are going to fly out to this small native village, where they have a cabin, and set up a few snares.

We're also gunna take along the ol .223 Ruger Varminter he bought a year or so ago, it is topped off w/ a Leupold VX-III 4-18x40. It is a really nice gun, at 200 yds it shoots groups that most larger hunting rifles would be jealous to have at 100 yds! :thumbsup:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:55 pm

i'm in

snares and conis
legholds not allowed
Rowdy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:48 am

Hey Red, in case your wonderin what those weird ironing boards are doin in the photo they are fur streachers. Large one is for coons and the small one is for rats. The traps are #0 for muskrat & mink, #3 for cat, coon, beaver,etc..., Connis are 330 and 120s.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby take EM' close » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:25 pm

My dad and I are very avid trappers. My dad has trapped for about 40 or more years and I have been trapping since I was about 9 months old so about 16 years now. We are mostly high country trappers though.....we don't worry about the fox and coyote's unless someone wants them trapped...we go after the bobcats and get the big $$$$. Caught 16 cats this year and averaged $300 a cat. I'm still kinda learning the cat trapping and I'm not really all that good but I do put out a few cat sets...for a little easy and extra money I hit the coon population around my house here and at some of the local farmers houses. I had I think 20 coon this year and averaged about $9 a coon....it was a crappy deal. I'm hoping the coon prices come up that way next year I'll make a little more $$!!!!
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:01 pm

Back in the late 70's we did good on fur. Average price for coons was $40, rats were av $3.50, beaver $40, Fox $60, Cats $300. We will probably never see those prices again.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:45 pm

I do miss the prices we had in the 70’s, but what came with it I don’t. We had everybody and their brother trapping, we even had some boys from the Carolinas up here trapppen.

When the females started running all us old timers {I was in high school} pulled our traps so as not to trap the females, even though we still had a few weeks left in the season but all the newbe’s cleaned out the creeks. No thought for tomorrow. :pissed:
State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:29 am

That still tends to happen some. I noticed that some of the older trappers were more guilty of this then were the younger ones. They would trap a stream untill they stopped geting fur on it then move on and when they trapped they put out dozens of traps on one small stream traps were only afew yards apart. Thankfully most of those fellas have quit trapping.

Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum