Coyotes

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Coyotes

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:57 pm

I expect most of you would shoot a coyote if the oportunity arose but how many of you actually set out to hunt them and what gun, cartridge, call, etc... do you use? Do you use decoy's or bait?
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:10 pm

Most of the time I carry one of my shot guns as tend to hunt brushy areas and I use triple A shot, I also use my 6.5x55 with 100gr bullets if hunting open areas and have even used a .22cal repeater with hollow points in areas that are semi open and shot out to 60/70 yrds are possible. I use a dieing rabbit mouth blown call and sometimes bait the coyotes.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:27 pm

snares and a 22
havent hunted them yet but plan to
Rowdy
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:26 pm

I've used one of my sister's stuffed animals before and used one of them rabbit calls and it works pretty good. I use either my .270 or .22 depending where I'm at.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:26 am

Electronic caller, stuffed animal, & a 12ga with #6's :thumbsup:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:24 am

Daytime - Hand call, some type of stuffed toy (depends on time of year) and a 220 Swift. At night - Hand call, stuffed toy and a 12ga or 22 Mag, can't use CF's at night (anymore).
Cobra
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:22 am

I haven't yet, but i am seriously planning on getting into it. We have a fair number of 'yotes around here and i really want a few pelts for the wall.

any tips and/or advice for a newbie would be appreciated. my plan has been to set up with a call (just a regular ol' call..not an electronic one) and maybe a decoy and have at it.

recommendations on what sort of gun to use? shotgun or smaller calibur rifle?? i have guns chambered in .30-06, .30-30, .303, .223, 7.62x39.

i had planned on using my colt sporter in .223 for the dogs as i figured the .30cals and the scatterguns would make a mess out of the fur.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:36 am

The .223 is a good choice if hunting in open areas but for brushy or wooded areas you cann't beat a 12ga and AAA/No. 4 buckshot. The buckshot holes are easy to fix but some rife bullets make large tears which can be hard to stitch up so they are unnoticable.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:32 am

how far out can you effectively shoot them with the buckshot? (read: clean kills)
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:22 pm

I've dropped them in their tracks at 50 - 60 yrds using #4 buck and a full choke. the thing with the scatter gun is that things happen fast and its much easier to get on the yotes with it than a rifle and scope. Most of the time I use an IC choke because I'm not going to see the yote till hes in spitting distance and beleive me things get goin fast at that distance. Its a blast to have them in yer face. :hammering:

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:34 pm

sounds like a real adrelanine rush..i'll have to give it a try for sure now.

i hear that the winter pelts are the ones you want..the summer ones being too thin to make a decent wall hanging out of. do you have any preference?
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:10 pm

Fur sure. Winter pelts are much thicker as the under coat becomes denser as the amount of daylight hours decrease and temps drop. The gaurd hairs are also thicker and longer and the skin seems to also be thicker.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:31 am

:withstupid:

Winter pelts all the way man!! :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:10 am

i use a hot dog and wate for them to come to me thin i shoot them with my 30 - 6 i know its a litle too much but my shot gun wont reach them very far

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:00 am

Info on Eastern Coyote

EASTERN COYOTE (Canis latrans)

Size
13-16 kg
(29-35 lb)

Young
5-7, April-May

Diet
omnivore

Life Span
15 years (captive)

Activity Pattern nocturnal, year round
Coyotes are members of the dog family. They are usually tawny gray with a black swath along the middle of the back from shoulder to tail. Blond, red, and black colour variations are also found in Nova Scotia. Adult females average 13 kg and adult males average 16 kg. They are agile, usually travel with the tail low, can bound up to 5 m, and have maximum speeds of 55 km/h.

Historically a plains animal, the coyote expanded its range east and was first recorded in Nova Scotia in 1977. Eastern coyotes are now widespread across the province and even reached Newfoundland in 1987. During this period of range expansion, the eastern coyote gradually became a larger animal with coarser fur than the western form. Coyotes inhabit a wide range of habitats, from wooded areas to farmland, and even residential areas.

Coyotes are largely nocturnal, preferring to hunt either after dark or at dawn and dusk. In Nova Scotia, their main prey are snowshoe hares and white-tailed deer. Meat is obtained from capture of live prey or by eating dead animals. However, they are adaptable omnivores and consume insects, blueberries, apples, small mammals, and a variety of other items.

The basic social unit consists of a mated pair and their pups.

Coyotes may mate for life and defend their territory from other breeders. Both parents care for the young on a territory that averages 35 km2 to 40 km2. Coyotes often hunt in small packs of two to six individuals, especially in winter. They are suspicious of humans and avoid contact. Their howling calls are heard more often than they are seen.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:08 am

Cute aren't they!

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:13 pm

When I lived in Washington I used to hunt ‘yotes all the time. I used a rabbit tape and a Remington model 788 in .222.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Coyotes

Postby Dep666 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:26 pm

I hunt them with 3 1/2 #4 buck with a super full choke. Believe it or not the shot pattern is pretty good at 60 yards. I bet I get 25 pellets on a pie plate. I also use a .223. There are tons of them damn things around me. One time I was duckhunting in the late season. I was hunting the only open patch of water in this bay. Before shooting time I hear this strange scratching sound on the ice behind me. I turn only to see this big nasty SOB staking my duck decoys. Well unlucky for him I was aleardy loaded and smoked his sorry ass at about 20 feet. Big dog, but had a bunch of mange. Ever since then I go out at night on frozen bays and call them and fox out for an easy shot. Its pretty fun watching them tip over at about 30 yards in the open on the ice. That might be somthing for you guys to try...............Matt French
Dep666
hunter

Postby Danawrestler » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:11 pm

The icy pond technique worked well for me once. I had the electronic caller playing a rabbit distress and within a minute I saw him standing on the other side of the pond about 200 yards out, he didn't wanna cross then and ran back into the woods, after 20 minutes and stopped for about 5 minutes and switched to coyote/gray fox fight. He came running back, zig-zagging across the pond, he stopped broad-side at about 75 yards and I hammered hit with a 12 ga. slug.

But now I use a .243 WSSM.
Danawrestler
hunter

Coyotes

Postby Dep666 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:48 am

It sure is spooky walking across a frozen bay at 0200 hrs. Its even worse when those critters start howling to your call and you can't see them. Couldn't pull a toothpick out of my butt with a John Deer! I absolutley love hunting frozen bays in the middle of the night. The only problem is the snowmobilers cranking around. I usually just go in the middle of the week..............Matt French
Dep666
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:53 pm

I use a .223 most of the time. I have a digital call that plays about 6 or 8 vocals per chip and I have a motorized rabbit that shakes and rotates.I also bought a gillie suit to help hid my movements. Last year i had one that keep hanging up out of range, must have been lured in a couple of times. Borrowed a .308 and that ended him.
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby Penguine » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:16 am

I think we may have a coyote or fox around our little pond where we Dove hunt. I came to this conclusion after I split a jack rabbit in two with my 12 guage. I took the rabbit and nestled it among some rocks to just let it decay. Two days later the rabbit was gone. Shot another Jack rabbit and put it in the same place... two days later we found a foot about 50 yards from the original place we left it, checked for the whole rabbit and it was gone. I am thinking of going back out there, popping another Jack Rabbit with the 12, then setting up my buddies truck about 200 yards away and laying in the back and waiting. If it is a coyote I would have a clean shot at 200 yards, and with a .243 shouldn't hurt the pelt to much.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby take EM' close » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:02 pm

My dad and I are avid coyote hunters and trappers. We use either a 6mm, .22 LR hollowpoints, or 17 HMR with Varmit tips. We just use a dieing rabbit call that you blow....we usually kill on avaerage around 2-6 coyotes a week....that isn't counting trapping them. Though there is a TON and I mean TON of work and effort because we really don't have that many around here and sometimes isn't even worth it!! :mrgreen:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby scattergunner » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:55 pm

I love hunting coyotes almost as much as I love waterfowling and pheasant hunting. I have a Bushmaster, chamber in .223 Remington, a number of hand calls, a pair of shooting sticks, and a bunch of camo. That's pretty much the tools at my disposal currently. I've been meaning to build an e-caller out of a sony discman with some plans I got from another site, but haven't done so yet. It's been about 5 years since I got the idea so chances are I'll just keep putting it off until I can afford a foxpro or something. in the mean time, the hand calls seem to be doing the trick every now and again. Not that electronic calls are neccessarily any better than hand calls, I just "need" a new hunting toy. :yes:
scattergunner
hunter

E callers

Postby Dep666 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:50 pm

I know I'm starting a bunch of BS but.......I have used the E-callers and I've used the moth calls. I much prefer the mouth calls. Its a lot easier carring them in, I can really put some dieing bunny emotion into the call. The drawback is when its colder than a well diggers ass.......The calls can freez up on ya. Try the mouth calls before droping some serious coin on a pricey e caller.
Dep666
hunter

Next

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum