Coyotes

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Re: E callers

Postby scattergunner » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:20 am

Matt French wrote:I know I'm starting a bunch of BS but.......I have used the E-callers and I've used the moth calls. I much prefer the mouth calls. Its a lot easier carring them in, I can really put some dieing bunny emotion into the call. The drawback is when its colder than a well diggers ass.......The calls can freez up on ya. Try the mouth calls before droping some serious coin on a pricey e caller.

Well, I have been "trying mouth calls" for a number of years now. Both have their applications and, IMO, refusing to use one or the other only limits your options. I have hunted using both, frankly I prefer hand calls due mainly to their inexpensive nature and portability. However, a home made ecaller costs about the same as a hand call - if you already have an MP3 or personal CD player. While they usually require a fanny or back pack to be packed around in, they're be no means that big of hassle to get out in the field. Not quite as easy as throwing a lanyard around your neck, but still not that big of a deal. While ecallers like the foxpro, predation and others are fairly expensive, They are very portable to say the least.

Anyway, I've used both, thanks to some hunting companions who possess more wealth or more spare time for tinkering than I, and I have no problems with either type of call. I would just like to have both as an option. While the ablity to add "emotion" and other customizable features to your sound with a hand call is undeniably a plus, there's also a lot to be said about a reproduction of "the real thing" coming out of a speaker. If nothing else, it allows you to place the sound away from you and keep the coyotes focus off of where you're sitting.

By the way, I hunt in what seems to me to be some awfully cold conditions and I think the only hand call I've ever had freeze up on me was my Tally-ho. But, it was easily remedied. I don't recall any other problems with my other open reed calls, but maybe you're just hunting more than me or you generate more saliva... :mrgreen: Do you use open or closed reed calls, or both? I've had a few duck calls freeze up on me over the years, though.
scattergunner
hunter

Coyotes

Postby Dep666 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:38 pm

Yea I agree somewhat about the ecallers and the limiting yourself....Its just the same ole sqeal and cry ...Kinda reminds me of that teacher in Ferris Bueler's day off....." Bueler......Bueler.....anyone...." Real monotone. I have to admit Ive heard the Foxpro and it really does sound good.

I use the Serey(SP?) cottontail and the quakerboy howler. They seem to work well. I just tuck them inside my coat and they don't seem to freeze up that bad. The coyote are real educated in my area.Lots of amatures out letting the critters know what time it is. Also a bunch of snowmobilers. I think I might set up a bait pile and sit on it a couple of hours each week.Its still duck season here, so thats #1 priority for me.....
Dep666
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:03 pm

With the electronic calls, are they automatic, or do You have to push them? If auto, just let it go the whole time?
T-MAN
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:55 pm

Main problem I came across with the e-callers is the new wave of predator hunters that over use them. 'yotes wise up to them quickly in my area, they're virtually usless nowadays. I don't mean any disrespect to the newer hunters, one needs to learn, observe and adapt, we've all been thru it at one time or another. The quicker we get a grip on the 'yote numbers the better off we'll all be. Still lethal on crows though.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Previous

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum