Alaska predator control

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Alaska predator control

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:30 am

Wolves and bears are very effective and efficient predators on caribou, moose, deer and other wildlife. In most of Alaska, humans also rely on the same species for food. In Alaska's Interior, predators kill more than 80 percent of the moose and caribou that die during an average year, while humans kill less than 10 percent. In most of the state, predation holds prey populations at levels far below what could be supported by the habitat in the area. Predation is an important part of the ecosystem, and all ADF&G wolf management programs, including control programs, are designed to sustain wolf populations in the future.

The Alaska Board of Game approves wildlife regulations through a public participation process. When the Board determines that people need more moose and/or caribou in a particular area, and restrictions on hunting aren't enough to allow prey populations to increase, predator control programs may be needed. Wolf hunting and trapping rarely reduces wolf numbers enough to increase prey numbers or harvests.

Currently, five wolf control programs are underway that comprises about 6% of Alaska's land area. The programs use a closely controlled permit system allowing aerial or same day airborne methods to remove wolves in designated areas. In these areas, wolf numbers will be temporarily reduced, but wolves will not be permanently eliminated from any area. Successful programs allow humans to take more moose, and healthy populations of wolves to continue to thrive in Alaska.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby akbrett » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:06 pm

WOW-

Greg I believe that is the first time I have ever heard someone from "Outside" give any info about AK's pred. control programs without telling us what a bunch of blood thirsty murdering cowards we are.

-Brett
akbrett
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:28 am

Thats because I'm one of those blood thirsty Barbarians that hunts and traps! :salude:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:47 pm

Greg Wile wrote:Thats because I'm one of those blood thirsty Barbarians that hunts and traps! :salude:

:yes:

Greg, You should just move up here man :thumbsup:
-Stouff

(You'd fit in just fine w/ that hood orament on yer truk :laughing: )
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:16 pm

If I didn't have a familly I would be there in a heart beat. I was a lot closer when I was a youngin. I was bthree weeks old when we moved to Comox from here, yeah I'm a millitary brat, then we moved back to NS when I was 6. I have a brother who lives in Fort St. John BC thats only about 2 days drive to where you are isn't it?

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:25 am

Well, to tell ya the truth I havnt really heard of that base, but I'm willin to bet that it is within 2 days for shure :smile:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:45 am

:laughing: Stouff thats a city not a base. My brother is a corporal in the RCMP. Take a look at an atlas. Comox is an air base on Vancouver Island, but that is where we lived when I was a kid. My brother was posted to BC with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police after his training 24 yrs ago. Fort St. John is in northern BC.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Ambushem » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:37 pm

Great article Greg, I lived in Alaska most of my life. I am an avid trapper/hunter/fisher, and I tell you what, we lived in the small town of Cooper Landing, Ak, beautiful place, right on the Kenai and Russian River. Anyways, in the winter there was me and this other guy that trapped the big valley that we lived in, I trapped the Refuge while he trapped the public land, now there was other trappers, but he and I tried to work together because we ran most the steel. Anyways, over the period of years that we trapped there, we had a number of predator related kills due mostly too wolves, and yes you are correct, even considerable trapping and hunting of these predators still didnt make a dent.....lol...... I remember the best season he and I had, he had gotten 17 wolves over a 100 mile curcumference you could say and I being on the refuge couldnt take more that two, and I did, lol, and still, while moose hunting later that year, we came upon five what seemed to be the remains of moose that winter. That is what we just happened to stumble on, it was unbelievable. I just liked the article you wrote and thought you would like to know a first hand experience on the critters. Also hunted Black Bear, buit didnt really have a problem where we were.
Ambushem
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum