Natural Dye's

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Natural Dye's

Postby puddleduck1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:28 pm

I am originaly from Maine and did alot of trapping up in the northern part of the state. We used Alder bark to dye our traps with. I live in north carolina now and I was wondering what type of bark to use down here? Thanks and sorry if this question has already been asked. Any info will be greatly appreciated
Its never to young to start!!
puddleduck1
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:31 pm

I don't use bark. I've used commercial stuff and natural stuff. The best dye I have found is walnut hulls. I take them and run them over in the truck. Then I put them in what I'll boil my traps in and cover them with water. In about 3 days you have a solution that looks dark as oil.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Wld Fowl » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:05 pm

:dito:
You can do this with pecan hulls too. Just make sure all of the hulls are out of the traps bafore you set them.
Wld Fowl
hunter

Postby puddleduck1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:36 pm

great thanks :thumbsup:
Its never to young to start!!
puddleduck1
hunter

Re: Natural Dye's

Postby captainduckhead » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:59 pm

Oak leaves, Sumac buds also work very well. Sorry for resurecting an old post but this forum is dead. No new fun stuff.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:04 pm

captainduckhead wrote:Oak leaves, Sumac buds also work very well. Sorry for resurecting an old post but this forum is dead. No new fun stuff.

Yep. I don't think there are many trappers in here. Heck, I haven't trapped in a couple years now. The big Gander screw strikes hard. :no:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JustinNH » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:14 am

Preacher1011 wrote:
captainduckhead wrote:Oak leaves, Sumac buds also work very well. Sorry for resurecting an old post but this forum is dead. No new fun stuff.

Yep. I don't think there are many trappers in here. Heck, I haven't trapped in a couple years now. The big Gander screw strikes hard. :no:

My buddy and I are taking the course this week, so there will be two more soon :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum