I need some advise for starting a small line....

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

I need some advise for starting a small line....

Postby gunman » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:14 am

ya know I was thinking, we have so many fox and coon around me, and I never have time to go and make stands to try and call the fox in anymore. But then I rememebered that I had acouple like new condition foot traps in the shed...wold it be worth setting them up in the back 40 around my ponds? If so how would you recomend I go about doing this...I might pick up a trapping license this weekend....thanks guys! :thumbsup: -Chris
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:11 pm

Chris, the first thing to do is to check you regulations on the use of foot/leg hold type traps as here they cannot be used on dry land unless the jaws are offset, padded,or laminated and the jaws have a spread of less than 7.5 inches. then the best set for foxes as well as racoons is the blind or dirt hole set where you dig a small hole and put your bait in the hole then place your trap over it and cover the trap with sand and grass to conceal it. The fox or coon will smell the bait and the try to dig it out of the hole and by doing so get caught in the trap.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Ambushem » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:06 pm

Hey gunman, I was kinda in the same boat as you, so I did some searching, here is and excellent site, for all your trapping needs, it's got photos showing you how to set, where to set, its got a forum where you can discuss what kind of bait to use, what kind of scents......www.trapperman.com, Like I said excellent site, should answer most of your questions.
Ambushem
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum