serious questions

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

serious questions

Postby hankous » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:41 pm

I live in area that has tons of yotes. Its a farming area with a lot people
it sounds like packs at night. I have tired and had very little luck calling
I see the coyates by chance at times and have taken shots. These dog s are brazen when tye get hungry if you have a lap dog or cat and put him out at night the will eat the cat or dog like a bum on a sandwich.
Give me ideas help electronic calls ? best gun spot lights, traps, live bait anything
shoot until you run out of ammo
hankous
acct perm susp for duplicate use name

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:08 pm

Primos just came out with a new E-caller called the power dog (at least I think that's what it's called). Gander had them for 100 bucks on sale. You can get other ones for cheaper, but Primos usually puts out a good product. I like to trap myself. I like the Bridger #2's with offset jaws personally. Before you trap or spotlight read up on your regs. Here in TN it's illegal to spotlight or use traps without padded jaws on land. This is a set I use for yotes and it works really well.

That's a squirrel tail in the hole and inside the hole is dog food. There is a trench to help guide the coyote in the trap. The upper jaw of my trap is right in front of the larger stone near the center of the picture. The pan is under the stick (put there to show pan location in the pic). For some reason they will always put their foot right in front of that stone. It was set in our .5 acre garden in the middle of a field. The dog food appeals to smell and the tail appeals to the sense of sight. Yotes can't pass it up, they have to investigate and when they do wham bam you got 'em.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Thank You

Postby hankous » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:19 pm

You know what thanks
I live in Oregon willemette valley area around the pudding river it so cool somebody from tenn. tired to help. I duck hunt mostly but the dog problem is bad. I live in a old ag area and last 10 years people from the cith moved in and they brought lap doags and cats. Guess what dead cats
dead poodles one asked me what was going on I said yotes. I also said I would shoot them person said no I guess they got eat too... Poor poodle is what I thought. I am a old trapper and I will try that set up keep it coming that was great ...
shoot until you run out of ammo
hankous
acct perm susp for duplicate use name

Re: Thank You

Postby jehler » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:36 pm

hankous wrote:You know what thanks
I live in Oregon willemette valley area around the pudding river it so cool somebody from tenn. tired to help. I duck hunt mostly but the dog problem is bad. I live in a old ag area and last 10 years people from the cith moved in and they brought lap doags and cats. Guess what dead cats
dead poodles one asked me what was going on I said yotes. I also said I would shoot them person said no I guess they got eat too... Poor poodle is what I thought. I am a old trapper and I will try that set up keep it coming that was great ...
Tyler??????
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Re: serious questions

Postby cjg » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:48 pm

hankous wrote:I live in area that has tons of yotes. Its a farming area with a lot people
it sounds like packs at night. I have tired and had very little luck calling
I see the coyates by chance at times and have taken shots. These dog s are brazen when tye get hungry if you have a lap dog or cat and put him out at night the will eat the cat or dog like a bum on a sandwich.
Give me ideas help electronic calls ? best gun spot lights, traps, live bait anything

I assume you are trying at night?

The best luck I have had is on a dark night, no moon, I've tried on moonlit nights and it hasn't worked for the way I hunt.
I have an older Johnny Stewart call and use a coyote pup with squealing rabbit tape.
I have the 350yd spot light (with the red lense, don't doubt that the red lense is going to work, it does) I got from Cabelas (tried the 100yd model but it wasn't bright enough).
I use my 12ga with #4 buckshot, xtra full choke, tried a rifle but things happen close and fast.
I go on my snowmobile, set up, call for 1/2 hour, if nothing happens I move at least a 1/2 mile. Most of the time if something is going to happen, it does within the first 10 minutes, unless you hear them howling from a ways off.
Like any thing scouting before helps a lot, a little fresh snow every couple days is perfect.
I've had pretty good success the way I do it, but if nothing is happening it's just standing around in the dark.
I set up close to the snowmobile in a place that's fairly open and I have a good field of fire, they could come from any direction, they don't seem to circle down wind as much at night. I have had them in the light at 100 yards or so and had them run right towards me/speaker, in the light all the way and shot them at 10 yards with me standing next to the snowmobile.
I also have a coon hunters headlamp with the red lense that makes it nice for scanning around. The key is mobility, move on if nothing is happening.
I also wear snow camo, not sure if this helps or not.
cjg
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:33 pm

jehler wrote:
Tyler??????

Wrong. You're losing your touch with the TZdar there j.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:31 am

Preacher1011 wrote:
jehler wrote:
Tyler??????

Wrong. You're losing your touch with the TZdar there j.
you sure preach? the spelling, dead poodles?
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:17 pm

100% sure

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum