PVC Set for Coon

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

PVC Set for Coon

Postby Ambushem » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:24 pm

Have you guys ever heard of the pvc set for the coon? I tried it out last year, and man those few sets that I make down my the river with the footholds, that thing really works wonders. I was just wondering if you guys have heard of it?
Ambushem
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:32 am

? Is that the trap made out of PVC that when the coon reaches down inside the pipe he tips the pan and a flaper jams his paw inside the pipe?
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Ambushem » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:24 am

No, you just take a piece of pvc pipe about 2 inches in diameter, about a foot long and drive into the side of the bank along a trail,make sure you leave about 3-4 inches stickin out. Then I take a cotton ball with whatever scent you like best and push it down in the back of that pipe. Now I just take a foothold, rig it up like any other waterside coon set and presto its all done. Now this pvc pipe is about a foot above the trap. Now this is similar to just a blind set ya know, but I have had it where the coon walk right around that foothold, but with the pvc pipe about a foot above that and that smell in there, I tell ya what, they sit there and work that pipe tryin to figure out what the heck is in the back of it. I guess I could also make a large pocket set like you do mink for those coon, but I end up catching mink in those. So I just use the pvc and I am targeting just the coon.
Ambushem
hunter

Postby take EM' close » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:51 pm

Another thing that might work is to rig up that PVC to work like one of those Chinese finger traps. Put a rough surface in the pipe going down towards the bait and when the coon sticks his paw in there...he can't get it out. I'm not exactly sure how to rig it up but just a little idea!! :yes:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:48 pm

You meen like an egg trap? They reach down in it but it won't let them pull their paw back out.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Ambushem » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:37 am

Hey Greg, I put a picture of what it looks like in the photo gallery. Its under the Non-Waterfowl category, and it's labeled Coon Set. This pic should give you a general idea what I am talkin about.[siteimg]1069[/siteimg]
Ambushem
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:02 pm

:eek: You mean that pic? :salude: I put it up for you. Yeah it is what the guys around here call a modified dirt hole set. And there is the one where you stick the PVC pipe straight up so it sticks up about a foot to 16" and set your trap out about 6 - 8 inches from the pipe. That way you almost always catch them by a hind leg.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Ambushem » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:33 pm

Thanks, I couldnt figure out how to post the picture on my post..lol......so that's what it is called, those other traps you call coon cuffs, I have never used them before so I dont really know how well they work.Have you?
Ambushem
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:41 am

No as they just came out last year but at the Trappers convention in March I looked at them and try them out. they are compact and about all you will catch in them is coons. I am planing on getting a doz. of them and a few more connibear 330's and some 160's. I made 2 submarien traps for rats so I will see how they work out.

Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum