Help

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Help

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:28 pm

Just skip to the bottom if you don't want to read.

Well, This winter, I have run out of things to do.. My former duck project work place has filled up with my dads actual job.. the first shipment of 1200 out of some 10,000 expected bags of Seed Corn... time to start delivering!
But in-between deliverers I can hunt some... So I started Rabbit hunting, and, well that is just me wandering after my dog and getting my hand out when she starts barking, which worked last night twice, resulting in one rabbit. So I stopped by at gander and picked up two mouth blown calls to start yote hunting, (Later I went back and picked up a crow, for them too)

But I was thinking about tactics for yotes, and I have PLENTY of spots to go, those deliverers really help, I just slide the question in and who says no to a coyote (soon to be) killer? :rofl:

The gun, is my problem, I have a SxS, which I am useing Buck shot or T shot... thoughts?

and the Rifle, all I have is a 30-06, little big? Also at gander I found this cute little .243 Rossi Single shot.. for cheap, I want it for dear and yotes, Do you think that would be better?

sorry for this rant like post so to sum it up

Questions
T shot or Buck shot?
30-06 too big?
.243 better?
Rossi, reputation on them?
who else REALLY hunts them, not just 15 or 20 times, but really gets after them?

Thanks
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Did someone move this here? I forgot we had this forum!
or did I put this here? I was surfing PredatorMasters, I thought I posted there... :huh:
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:19 pm

30-06 is too big for 'yotes. As far as shotgun/.243 it depends on how far away you are shooting them from. For 50 yards or less the shotgun should be a sure thing, but beyond that is sketchy.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:36 pm

Are you handloading your '06 or using factory stuff? If you're wanting to keep the pelt and use factory stuff, yeah it's too big. If you hand load a 110 grain Sierra or 130 Grain Speer Varminter are good choices. Just don't load them blistering fast and you'll be fine. As for shotgunning them, some single or even double ought buckshot would be what I used. Rossi makes a good gun, but they lack the accuracy of other guns and with yotes quick follow up shots are sometimes necessary so a bolt gun would be preferable. That being said I've never gotten a shot at a yote, but there are plenty of articles in the Trapper and Predator Caller that I get for being in the National Trappers Association.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 pm

Pmd ya Preach!
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby cjg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:22 pm

I use #4 buck for hunting at night, most of the shots are close, I think T shot gives you 50 pellets vs 41 for #4 buck in a 3" 12ga. Price wise the buck is cheaper than the "Dead Coyote" loads in T shot. All depends on conditions, if you are calling and it isn't real open you are probably better off with a shotgun.
cjg
hunter

Postby DPduckhunter13 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:58 am

i do a ton of calling in az. and most of the time it is with a shotgun. me and my buddy have found that in the early morning we hunt the open stuff and ofter 8 or nine well move to the thick stuff and take the shottys. as said above Coyote Dead is amazing stuff, expensive, but worth it. i have personally dropped a coyote at 74 yards with the 3" shells. but if you're gona use it get the carlson's dead coyote choke tube. its the best by far.

the rossi .243 isnt a bad choice. problem is one shot and a slight bit of barrel jump. i would honestly go to walmart and get a Weatherby .243 bolt or a Savage .243 bolt. i theyre around $350-450 bucks and both are well worth the money. id save up the money and get something you can use for a long time and be much more accurate with.
Az 2009-2010 Total
Mallards: 15
GWT: 6
BWT: 1
Wigeon: 9
Shovelers: 4
Bufflehead:2
Ringneck: 6
Pintail: 2
Golden Eye: 1
Mergansers: 2
Gadwall: 0
Scaup: 0
Redhead: 0
Canvasback: 0

Canadas: 0
Specks:0
Snows: 1
Ross: 1

Bands: 0
DPduckhunter13
hunter

Postby Varminter » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:40 pm

You can kill them with a 30-06, but don't count on keeping the pelt.

The .243 is a great all-around caliber... Load light ballistic tips for varmints and long and heavy for deer, even elk (in a pinch).

However, I'd shy away from the rossi and look for a used savage or ruger bolt action in .243.

If you want to go shotgun, try #4 buck or dead coyote, and experiment with some different choke tubes and see what patterns best for you and your gun.
Varminter
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum