You Hardcore Crow Hunters

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

You Hardcore Crow Hunters

Postby SeaArkDude » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:35 pm

If you are a crow hunter like myself then you know u have to keep up with the modern day times and technology, but I like to keep some things old school. I'm looking for a new mouth call (none of these plastic injection molded imitators) and need some reviews on some products you have used, not what you've read about or saw someone carrying. True testimonials on products and results. Thanks Fellas
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:38 pm

I loooove Mallard Tone calls. Only problem is they went out of business. :no: Guess I'll just have to keep the ones I got. I also have an old Loman my dad gave me. It's so old I can barely even make out loman on the side, but it has probably killed more crows than any call I own. I'd get on ebay and get a mallard tone though. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cjg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:00 pm

I use a Johnny Stewart electronic call with the crow/owl fight tape.

Works great.

Only time i use a crow mouth call is for turkey locating.
cjg
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:13 pm

I have the Johnny Stewart elec. caller also, but I try not to use it much. It's almost too convenient for a hunter. A mouth call allows you to control the situation with the crows when they arrive and begin leaving. I've noticed that silence can pay off just as much as calling vigorously. Just like duck hunting. The tapes get too repetitive, and essentially only say one particular message to the birds. I'm looking for a true tonal range crow call because I like being in control of the situation and working the birds.

Also, anyone using a Ure-a-crow decoy, "cripple" crow, or the buster II? No mojos! or possibly any homemade contraptions to put motion in the decoys? I prefer the "one of a kind"/"DIY" setups that make you stand out from the rest.

Thanks for the responses thus far
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby cjg » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:59 pm

I know what you mean about the repetative part on the tape, but with the fight one it seems to be ok.
I tried decoys and found that they would land in trees out of range as soon as they saw the decoys.
What I found works best for me is to find an area in the woods with a small clearing, everything in range, with short trees and just let the tape play. Short trees are the key, with no decoys I found they would circle around looking for the crow/owl fight just over the trees, with taller trees they are out of range most of the time.
I play the whole tape, I think it's around 1/2 hour, if nothing happens I pack up and move to a new spot, much easier to move without decoys.
cjg
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:13 am

Hey man I appreciate your advice, seriously. But the problem doesn't lie with the location or setup of my hunt. Just a new mouth call and DIY decoys. I'm not bragging or trying to prove you wrong, I just have many years of crow hunting under my belt. It's hard to keep the attention of the birds without any visual presentation, especially when the shotgun starts ringing off; therefore, it's hard for me not to take them along. I do have some homemade decoys that I'll post soon that might interest a few of you. Kind a mix of a silhouette decoy and optical illusion. Still working on some motion systems though.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:08 pm

I made two dozen DIY decoys nothing fancy though just more of a sillo type decoy. Just use half inch plywood and traced out a my GHG crow decoy onto the wood and cut a bunch out and mixed them in with my full bodies and i also have some that clip onto trees for a sentry look. I use a red fox pelt and make it look like four or five of them are eating it and man do they ever come in.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:03 pm

yeah, that sounds like a plan. a little wounded animal/ feeding setup.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:50 pm

we're waxing @ss in the morning... i'll post some pics later this weeknd of the count. and yeah, forgot to tell you we're takin the ol' stick-n-string.

2- XT's
1- Drenalin

Catch Us If You Can
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:09 am

I ordered the Mallardtone crow call and looking forward to testing it out. Our kill count was 16 and a cotton tail. Some with shotguns, some with bows.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:44 pm

You won't be disappointed. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SeaArkDude » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:21 pm

anyone made their own version of the cripple crow by purchasing just the decoy heart part? I have a similar decoy setup except it uses a string to pull it up and down to make the crow flip around. I would figure that I could do the same just for a fraction of the price by mounting the decoy heart motion ball looking thing in the middle like they do theirs.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:25 pm

I'll be completely honest with my testimony on the Mallardtone Crow call. I guess it wasn't what I was expecting it to be. I like the tone sometimes, but it seems to be a little too high pitched for me. I'm goin to try adjusting the reed a little, but the out of the box use didn't impress me enough. The call starts bottoming out and squeals when I try to hit a little distress calling, but I'm sure it will be amazing at turkey locating since you can get some good volume, but I bought it to kill crows. I still prefer my other call over this one. The good points are that it is very lightweight and blows with the least of force. The tone is rich just like you would expect from a wooden call. I just need more depth of tonal range.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby SeaArkDude » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:27 pm

I'll be purchasing a Gibson to give it a try.
TOO MANY CROWS, TOO LITTLE TIME
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Re: You Hardcore Crow Hunters

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Mon May 18, 2009 6:25 pm

I had the same issue with my mallardtone but after adjusting the reed a little it sounded better. Still sounds like a young crow to me though.
But it did the job today.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Re: You Hardcore Crow Hunters

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Tue May 19, 2009 1:07 am

I've got the Knight and Hale version that started out as a locator call, but sounded so good, it quickly became a 'double Duty' call...
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
DUCK COMMANDER "DUCKAHOLICS" MILITARY MEMBER
REFUGE RAT MILITARY MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum