Muzzleloader for coyote?

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Muzzleloader for coyote?

Postby xbreaka » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:38 pm

Hey guys, I'm still a pretty novice coyote hunter, anyways I just recently entered the world of muzzleloaders as I had one regifted to me through my family for a birthday gift. It's a .50 cal older italian made so non of those nice plastic sleeved pre loads that the omegas and stuff have. It's all old fashioned powder measuring and lead balls.

Anyways, with only about 2 weeks left in the season here I'd really like to take a crack at coyote hunting with this thing. Finding them isn't an issue they are overpopulated like hell here in MA.

Any tips or suggestions?
xbreaka
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:19 am

Work up a load that your gun likes and use it. Muzzle loaders are no different than building hand loads for a cartridge gun. you have to find a load your gun likes. My Lyman Trade Rifle works well with a patched .495 round ball and 50/70/90grains of ffg & a 120 grain load of ffg with a three band Reel bullet. Your gun may like a some what different diet. Good luck and have fun with it.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum