Coon furs

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Coon furs

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:13 pm

Im a softmore in highschool nd have gotten into trapping coons. Ive gotten pretty good at the trapping part but ive been selling then to guys to eat. I want to learn how to tan so any instuctions, products, or tips would be great! Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: Coon furs

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:09 am

Are you just wanting to sell the furs to someone, or sell tanned fur? If you're just selling them to people then nearly everyone will want them green (untanned, unsalted, just put on a stretcher and dried.)
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby floating redneck » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:42 pm

you sell them to guys to eat? and i thought i was a redneck :lol3:
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:52 pm

With the price of coon skins, especially SC skins. Id stick with the meat market. at least your selling them that way. But if you want to tan some youll need to learn how to skin and flesh them. I used to do a little home tanning with a product calld Chrom-tan. You could get it through taxidermy supply companies. Pretty easy to use.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:34 pm

I sell the to some black guys. I wouldnt ever eat one haha but apparently they think its good
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:11 pm

Why don't you skin the raccoons for them? Then you can get twice the profit.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:53 pm

I ate BB-Qed coon once a long time ago and it wasn't bad. I have eaten beaver roast and almost took an older trapper up on an invite to have some muskrat stew. I have been told that bobcat is really good. As far as pelts go coon were up in the mid to high teens but only the best ones sold but that was true of all the furs.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby topdogjosh » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:53 am

Coon is actually pretty good, esp. BBQ'd, cause its kinda greasy. Around her you can sell them to the black guys skinned, but you have to leave the feet on it, so they know your not selling them a cat.
topdogjosh
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:11 pm

Has anyone ever heard of a company who will make you a hat for $30 out of a tanned hide? I saw it in the back of a trapping mag but its been a while.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:05 am

don taylor wrote:Has anyone ever heard of a company who will make you a hat for $30 out of a tanned hide? I saw it in the back of a trapping mag but its been a while.

I've heard of it, but I don't remember where. I think I came across it looking for a how-to on making coonskin caps.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:33 pm

skinning and tanning is easy, you just have to put the time into it to do it right, i do a few birds every year, gonna do some rabbits and yotes this year though, i need to make some rabbit gloves and a yote hat, maybe make another rabbit hat.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby trapper20 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:42 am

search usa foxx and furs
mallard: 2

Greenwing: 4
trapper20
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum