Trapping armadillos

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Trapping armadillos

Postby OrangeLake » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:28 pm

I've got a problem on the grounds of the church I maintain. Armadillos are tearing the ground up and they need to go. I'd like to shoot them, but there are some homes and highways nearby, might attract attention I don't need. How can I trap them, or is there any other way to get rid of them?
OrangeLake
hunter

Re: Trapping armadillos

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:18 pm

This is one thing I can't help you with my friend. No armadillos here. I may have a little something though. Do they burrow under ground? If they do a conibear would work in front of their hole, or maybe even a foot hold. If you use a coni I'd say a #330 would be best to crack their shell. If they burrow in logs or fallen trees a cage trap might even work. What are they doing to your church and where? Pictures might be helpful in this case. Find out what they're eating and you may get them in a cage trap.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cjg » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:22 pm

He's at a church with homes close enough so he can't shoot and you're telling him to set a connibear 330 on the ground?
cjg
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:08 pm

In front of a burrow that you know armadillos use yes. In all likelihood the burrows aren't near the church. I live in a residential area and I trap with conies all the time (where I run my line is actually in the creek and land right next to my church as well, and a bunch of people use it) I've never caught a non target animal, other than a rabbit I caught in a foothold . The Wildlife Resources agent I intern with and myself trap with them at the Oak Ridge National Lab. I'm not saying to put them near the church where people will see them and stick hands and fingers in them. My church has woods (as I mentioned) and that's where our problem critters den at. I'd assume if there is an open area near his church it would be the same.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cjg » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:54 pm

Here you can only use a killer type trap that large if it's completely covered by water or at least 4 feet above the ground. I'd hesitate to use one anywhere around houses where someones cat or small dog could get caught. JMHO
cjg
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:58 am

Yes Preach, they do burrow. There are a lot of woods behind the church that is owned by the church where I assume they're burrowing. But if I trap/kill this one soon another will take his place. It's tearing the bermuda grass (soccer) field and bahia grass fields to pieces. 8" by 24" holes, some spots look like hogs have been rooting. What I need to really do is spray and kill what ever he's eating but I'd like to use a conibear on this one. Could you tell me how to set it at his burrow?
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:43 am

Like cjg said, check your laws before you do it. You might not legally be able to put it on land. Here they have to be 10" inside a hole. If that puts them out then you could try a snare. I don't even know if a snare would stay around one or not. I'm thinking your best bet would be a cage trap right near their burrow. Maybe even a foothold. If this is being done for your church you could open it up to lawsuits should you catch a non-target animal. I didn't think of it until cjg's post (thank you for mentioning that conis might not be a good idea). That being said, I found you an article that explains cage trapping. This is how I was going to suggest you do it and I found an article that does a better job than I could. I'll see if I can find some more too.

http://www.247wildlife.com/armadillotrap.htm
http://ufinsect.ifas.ufl.edu/armadillo.htm

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby captainduckhead » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:38 pm

Catch one in a foothold and mail it to me. I want one as a pet.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:18 am

Sorry, but I wouldn't be able to do that. They're an invasive species and it's illegal to transport them. Ya'll don't have them in NY do you? Also not a fun pet. They dig like crazy, have nasty crap and are carriers of leprosy. They're pretty tough though. I once caught one and put in it one of those metal dog crates, about 3' by 3', and it bent the metal bars and jumped out of the back of my truck as I went down the highway.
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby grandquay » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:49 am

So, any success trapping them??? Pictures would be cool. Don't see too many armadillos here in Minnesota....
grandquay
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:01 pm

No, I haven't gotten a chance. I'm not sure where the burrow is, so I think I'm going to try to get him with my bow at night.
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby cjg » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:31 pm

Take a big conni 330 and put it by the church steps, Im sure you'll catch something.
cjg
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:37 pm

cjg wrote:Take a big conni 330 and put it by the church steps, Im sure you'll catch something.

Yeah maybe you'll bag one of those people that sneak out of church early.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Sun May 03, 2009 5:41 am

The best thing you can do is to go on line and type in The Wildlife Pro Network and you will be taken to a web site that lists all the NWCO's in your area. Call one of them and have the job done by a professional also tell them Greg Wile Sent you. They not only get the animal or animals that are doing the damage but will do what they can to keep it from happening again, most of the guys guarantee their work. It is not cheap but they are pro's and it is no different than getting a plumber or electrician you pay for the knowledge and professionalism. Good luck.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum