ethical trapper?

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

ethical trapper?

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:29 pm

Calling all pro's
I'm not a trapper, so I have a question for you guys. I took a boat ride last weekend out to one of my duck spots just to watch the birds, while going around the marsh I spotted about 15 stakes w/ muskrat traps, and eight of them had dead rats in em. They looked like they had been dead for quite awhile. Up on one of the islands I also found a coon in a foot hold trap that looked to be dead for a couple weeks. I didnt touch, as I know it is illegal to mess with a licensed trappers rigs. My question is; is this guy a legal trapper, or is this something I should mention to my local fish and game office?
JR
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Re: ethical trapper?

Postby side-slippin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:03 am

last i remember, in Idaho you have to check your traps every 72 hrs at a minimum.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:47 am

Here you have to check them every 36 hours. The rats were probably on drowning rigs, so that takes care of that one. As for the coon, if it was a body gripper or snare it would be dead as well. However, if the coon was in a foothold it probably starved or died of lack of water. If that was the case, I would see if the animals are still there and if they are call the proper officials. Here (and in most states) you have to tag your traps with your name and address, so call the law, tell them where the traps are located and they should take care of it. I'd also take some pictures of the carcasses and names on the traps when you check them out as well.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:24 pm

the coon was in a foot hold, but there were no names, or adresses on the tag. just a small tag with a 4 digit number on it. would that be a trapper ID# with the state. but like I said, I was just curious, no need for wasting game.

thanks guys

JR
Attachments
000_0119.jpg

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:18 pm

It could be an ID #. I'd call the game warden and have him look at it. It's a waste, and nothing deserves to die of thirst or hunger. It's things like this that gives responsible trappers a bad name. :no:

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby captainduckhead » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:35 pm

That coon doesn't look like it's been dead that long. It may have had a heart attack. I've had mink do that too. Most Muskrats that you trap will be dead when you get there, they are usually caught in drowning sets.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:10 pm

how long does it take for a dead animal to get dry enough that it makes a knock sound when you kick it?
JR

3legged_lab
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:53 pm

If you were duck hunting the coon could have froze overnight. I've never seen one have a heart attack or anything, but I reckon it could happen and after that they could freeze.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Sun May 03, 2009 5:19 am

Here we have to check all live capture/restraining traps at least once every 24 hrs. I have never had a coon die in a leg hold trap and I have been trapping since I was 14. Having said that I suppose that it could have died from trauma or if an artery was broken it may have bled to death but that coon doesn't look like it has been there long. As the others have said the muskrats would have been caught in drowning sets so yes they would be dead and if they were not caught in drowning sets they would have chewed their leg of and be gone. It is hard to tell from the pic but did you have high water levels there just before this pic was taken? If you did and that coon was in the trap it would have drowned.

After re-examining the pic that coon looks to be caught only by the fingers and the trap appears to be a muskrat trap. How far back from the water was the trap? It might not hurt to call this in, the worst thing that could happen if the trapper is legal is he will learn to conceal his traps better, and if he is not then he gets what he deserves. Jmo
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue May 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:If you were duck hunting the coon could have froze overnight. I've never seen one have a heart attack or anything, but I reckon it could happen and after that they could freeze.

im pretty sure it didnt freeze, I took this pic on April 5th, and it was about 3' above the high water mark. And as for the trapper he needs a kick in the nuts, I went back 2 weeks later- trap still there, and coon still there with maggots rolling out his belly. I have a feeling it was maybe a young guy that just put out a couple of grandpa's old traps with no intent of processing the game.
just a guess.
JR

3legged_lab
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed May 06, 2009 7:54 am

In that case definitely report it to the DNR.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby jpostx3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am

Greg Wile wrote:Here we have to check all live capture/restraining traps at least once every 24 hrs. I have never had a coon die in a leg hold trap and I have been trapping since I was 14. Having said that I suppose that it could have died from trauma or if an artery was broken it may have bled to death but that coon doesn't look like it has been there long. As the others have said the muskrats would have been caught in drowning sets so yes they would be dead and if they were not caught in drowning sets they would have chewed their leg of and be gone. It is hard to tell from the pic but did you have high water levels there just before this pic was taken? If you did and that coon was in the trap it would have drowned.

After re-examining the pic that coon looks to be caught only by the fingers and the trap appears to be a muskrat trap. How far back from the water was the trap? It might not hurt to call this in, the worst thing that could happen if the trapper is legal is he will learn to conceal his traps better, and if he is not then he gets what he deserves. Jmo

I agree with the fact that the water rose after the coon was caught. I've seen creeks rise so fast that it might be weeks before you get your traps back. It looks like a Victor #11 double longspring to me. Which is a great trap probably my favorite for catching coons. They are not cheap at that. Calling the DNR would be the thing to do probably or just take the traps and be done with it. It's obvious that the person is not coming back for it. Then again, this was years ago, but next time if you see something like that and there's an animal in there for weeks take the trap.
Peace in the Middle East
jpostx3
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum