TIRES

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

TIRES

Postby GooseBuster09 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:27 pm

Just wnadering what kind of tires you run and how well they perform and what kind of mileage you are or got out of them. thanks for the help
GooseBuster09
hunter

Re: TIRES

Postby GoldHunter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:16 am

Been running Toyo MT's on my HD Trucks for some years now...great tire. Good mileage for a mud terrain and fairly quiet as well and can handle any load I put on them. I typically get about 45k out of a set, the only draw back is the price...pretty expensive.
GoldHunter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:41 pm

On my 3rd set of tires on my Jeep now. 1st set were BFG All-Terrains, and I was relatively unimpressed. They were stock sized 235/75/15 and IMO were nothing special considering the cost. My second set of tires were 31x10.50 Interco Trxus MTs and I loved everything about them minus the wear. My current set of tires is a set of 285/70/17 BFG KM2s. I have been pretty happy with them although I haven'tt put a lot of miles on them. The tire you should use depends largely on exactly what it will be used for.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:18 am

My suv 4x4 came with Bridgestone Duellers and I got 90k kilometres out of them..hard to balance and a harsh ride fair traction
My next set was a set of Khumo HD Vectors great highway ride tire but bad traction got 85 k kilometres out of them
I currently have Michelin LTX mud and Snow pretty good traction, a little noisy and I have about 20k kilometres on them nd there is
about 75% tread left.. I really like them for handling on gravel and mud and some snow expensive
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:18 am

Just bought my second set of Nitto TerraGrapplers. Great tires and CHEAP! I got about 72,000 out of my first set, and they really only needed to be replaced because my ball joints were bad but I couldn't afford to get them fixed at the time, so I just kept running them. I think I paid about $155 each for 295/70/17's, mounted balanced and on the truck. These are really great tires, very good off road 10-ply tires, but very quiet on the road.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby FranknBeans » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:11 am

I had a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT's on my dodge for about 5 years with about 20k miles and they were pretty much shot. go figure, other people that have the same tire usually get about 40-50k miles out of them. ditched those, lifted the truck, and put some 35" Hankook Dynapro MT R03's I think they are on last year. got about 7k miles on them (no I dont drive very much) and are holding up really well. starting to get a little noisey though but it isnt obnoxious. they work great in mud and snow, havent tried sand yet.
Tree Huggers can kick rocks.
FranknBeans
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:53 pm

Had BFG AT's for 3 years and got 60k out of them. Now I have Cooper discoverer st's and think they're even better because they are a go-between for mud terrain and all terrain. And they're cheaper by a couple hundred per set.
devildog28
hunter

Postby Stevenot » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:08 pm

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 I currently have Nitto Terra Grapplers on it and I have about 45,000 miles on them with about another 20,000 left from what I can see, I love these tires. They are quiet and have plenty of traction. I'm not going mudding with them just driving on torn up logging roads during deer season, and the muddy levy roads during duck season.
Stevenot
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:03 pm

Toyo AT's now and These have been the BEST tire I have ever owned for on pavement and basic off road and farm use. They stick like glue on snow and ice and handle mud fine too even when hauling equipment or wagons. I had Goodyears and then Cooper Mud tires on the truck and they were both JUNK compared to the toyos. I did have a set of siped TSL Swampers on my 98 and they were great in mud, snow and ice but were very loud and wore quickly. These toyos are as close to silent as I think you can get. I will be going with the 315's next time around just for the "Bigger" look.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tealer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:26 pm

I am running a **** Cepek set of Mountain Cat mt's love them. Great on the snow and ice. I have dad BFG A/T's and M/T's. Alond with three different sets of swampers. Other then the Cepeks I like the BFG A/t's great in ecerything but mud, and have awesome street manors.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:25 pm

im running 37inch mud grapplers, and they are great! for a mud tire they are lasting great, and im able to go anywhere and i went mudding last night and they did great they toss some big old chunks and rip a lot up if your not careful :eek: but they get me to my goose hunting spots and around the farm. the only reason i wont recomend these is becasue it sounds like im drivin an airplane when i get goin 50mph+ ive got close to 10,000 and they are about 65-75%tread left, not sure why some idots only get 15,000 out of them, and i drive like a mad man half the time!

for a good all around, towing, mud, AT, and get you across the soft stuff tires id recomend Cooper s/t's and s/tt's

but if you want a tire that will get you through the swamps get some boggers! they are hell in the mud! but if your on the road they are a big NO-NO idoling along you can feel th truck drop and rise when each lug hits the ground and they start makin noise at about 20mph
Last edited by 2500hdon37s on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby rcdinaz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:41 am

ProComp Xtreme A/T's on a 6' lifted Avalanche, best tires I have run so far. Very tough tire, better ride and less noise than the Nitto's that were on it before. I think the Toyo's are great as well and almost put them on but liked the look of the ProComp a little more.
One of the greatest skills you can develop is the ability to ignore those that annoy you...
rcdinaz
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:39 pm

My favorite before my current tires were Hankook RF04s. I love my Yokohama Geolander AT-S. Great on and off road. We have them on the wife's Rav-4 and my Tundra. Damn near everybody runs them round here.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:53 pm

On my 3rd set of Yokohama Geolander AT-S, have driven over 55,000 miles on each of them, still had a lot of tread but were losing traction and cupping, "dont forget to rotate". Very good tire, wish they would have stayed with old tread design though. Also have a set of MAXIS MTs i put in during hunting season, have been very good so far, only 15000 miles on though.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:00 pm

tired all the bfgs including mud terrains. all sucked.

i run general grabber all terrains and theyve been the best. i no longer offroad like i did but those were my favorite offroading and still now on my daily driver
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:36 pm

Watch out with them Generals. The DOI made all the wildland vehicles pull them off due to a high occurrence of blowouts. We still have them on one of our rigs, and it's stuck if it leaves the pavement pretty much.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:34 am

they did better than BFG mud terrains... must be something other than a jeep- leave payment without one and your stuck
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby hovey » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Cooper ST's. By far one of the best tires i have ever put on my truck. Had 30k miles when i sold it, and still had 70% tread. They were 285/70/16 load E on a 03 z71
hovey
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:19 pm

I just put on a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's on my brothers Sierra today and boy are they nice tires. Did a lot of research before he ordered them and almost all were great as long as they weren't on a Ford

I have 15K on my Dean Wildcat A/T's and they still look brand new. They aren't the most aggressive tire but they are on a 2wd anyway, plus I couldn't turn them down for the price
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:56 pm

I have Big O A/T's on my truck. Big O is a national chain tire store (in 20 states). I have put their tires on several of my trucks. All have performed well off road and in inclimate conditions. All Big O tires have lasted 40,000 to 45,000+ miles. Included in the price of Big O tires is lifetime rotation and balancing. Every time I have them change the oil they also rotate and balance the tires. I also check the air pressure at least once a month. No matter what brand I think the key to long tread life is rotation and balancing , maintaining correct pressure and periodic alignment checks..
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:44 pm

California Sprig wrote:I have Big O A/T's on my truck. Big O is a national chain tire store (in 20 states). I have put their tires on several of my trucks. All have performed well off road and in inclimate conditions. All Big O tires have lasted 40,000 to 45,000+ miles. Included in the price of Big O tires is lifetime rotation and balancing. Every time I have them change the oil they also rotate and balance the tires. I also check the air pressure at least once a month. No matter what brand I think the key to long tread life is rotation and balancing , maintaining correct pressure and periodic alignment checks..

you get your oil changed at big O :no: had a buddy who did that, he ended up blowin the motor the next day, they didnt put and oil back in! :eek: i wont let anybody work on my truck if i can help it, ive got all the tools to do it my self so why not? its so easy (and cheaper) to change your own oil.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:45 pm

California Sprig wrote:I have Big O A/T's on my truck. Big O is a national chain tire store (in 20 states). I have put their tires on several of my trucks. All have performed well off road and in inclimate conditions. All Big O tires have lasted 40,000 to 45,000+ miles. Included in the price of Big O tires is lifetime rotation and balancing. Every time I have them change the oil they also rotate and balance the tires. I also check the air pressure at least once a month. No matter what brand I think the key to long tread life is rotation and balancing , maintaining correct pressure and periodic alignment checks..

you get your oil changed at big O :no: had a buddy who did that, he ended up blowin the motor the next day, they didnt put and oil back in! :eek: i wont let anybody work on my truck if i can help it, ive got all the tools to do it my self so why not? its so easy (and cheaper) to change your own oil.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby California Sprig » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:00 pm

you get your oil changed at big O had a buddy who did that, he ended up blowin the motor the next day, they didnt put and oil back in! i wont let anybody work on my truck if i can help it, ive got all the tools to do it my self so why not? its so easy (and cheaper) to change your own oil.

That shouldn't happen but it can happen at any shop and I have heard similar stories even at dealers. I don't have time to do routine maintaince on my vehicles nor do I want to any longer (use to do it all tuneups, brakes major repairs. I did it for years don't ever want to again). I have been taking my vehicles to Big O for 15+ years for tires, brakes, oil change and other routine things. I know the guys there personally and have had nothing but excellent service and they have stood by all their work.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:28 pm

California Sprig wrote:
you get your oil changed at big O had a buddy who did that, he ended up blowin the motor the next day, they didnt put and oil back in! i wont let anybody work on my truck if i can help it, ive got all the tools to do it my self so why not? its so easy (and cheaper) to change your own oil.

That shouldn't happen but it can happen at any shop and I have heard similar stories even at dealers. I don't have time to do routine maintaince on my vehicles nor do I want to any longer (use to do it all tuneups, brakes major repairs. I did it for years don't ever want to again). I have been taking my vehicles to Big O for 15+ years for tires, brakes, oil change and other routine things. I know the guys there personally and have had nothing but excellent service and they have stood by all their work.

well the Big O's and Jiffy lubes here are known for screwin people good

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby jimmyp » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:21 am

Ive run about all of your big name mud tires and a few others over the years on daily drivers that spent alot of time in fields and back roads, to full blown trailer queen off road buggies and for the money I recomend the BFG ATs for probly 90% of the drivers out there and if you gota go places you shouldnt be then the BFG MTs are hard to beat.
Jim
jimmyp
hunter

Next

Return to Vehicle forum