TIRES

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Re: TIRES

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:52 pm

jimmyp wrote:Ive run about all of your big name mud tires and a few others over the years on daily drivers that spent alot of time in fields and back roads, to full blown trailer queen off road buggies and for the money I recomend the BFG ATs for probly 90% of the drivers out there and if you gota go places you shouldnt be then the BFG MTs are hard to beat.
Jim

the bfg mt's are hard to beat?? HA! kid had some (70%+ tread) bfg mt's and he was stuck in a mud hole (while in 4wd) than i pulled him out of then walked though it in 2wd
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3230
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!


Re: TIRES

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:54 am

2500hdon37s wrote:
jimmyp wrote:Ive run about all of your big name mud tires and a few others over the years on daily drivers that spent alot of time in fields and back roads, to full blown trailer queen off road buggies and for the money I recomend the BFG ATs for probly 90% of the drivers out there and if you gota go places you shouldnt be then the BFG MTs are hard to beat.
Jim

the bfg mt's are hard to beat?? HA! kid had some (70%+ tread) bfg mt's and he was stuck in a mud hole (while in 4wd) than i pulled him out of then walked though it in 2wd


For straight up mud you can't beat a set of swampers...period. The old BFG's (KM1s) were kind of a jack of all trades tire. They were decent at a lot of things but not particularly good at any. The new KM2s however are a dog of a different breed. They aren't very good in mud, but they are awesome in the rocks, especially for a radial tire.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: TIRES

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:10 pm

ajmorell wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:
jimmyp wrote:Ive run about all of your big name mud tires and a few others over the years on daily drivers that spent alot of time in fields and back roads, to full blown trailer queen off road buggies and for the money I recomend the BFG ATs for probly 90% of the drivers out there and if you gota go places you shouldnt be then the BFG MTs are hard to beat.
Jim

the bfg mt's are hard to beat?? HA! kid had some (70%+ tread) bfg mt's and he was stuck in a mud hole (while in 4wd) than i pulled him out of then walked though it in 2wd


For straight up mud you can't beat a set of swampers...period. The old BFG's (KM1s) were kind of a jack of all trades tire. They were decent at a lot of things but not particularly good at any. The new KM2s however are a dog of a different breed. They aren't very good in mud, but they are awesome in the rocks, especially for a radial tire.

i hear what your sayin, used to have a set of boggers! they just got me into trouble!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3230
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: TIRES

Postby jimmyp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:26 am

well its become obviouse that we are dealing with some professional mud boggers here. The original post sounded like a guy who is looking to put tires on his hunting/daily driving vehical, and for the AVERAGE human being any tire will work. I personally have had the BFs both MTs and ATs. I like them because on an 8000lb truck I can get 20-30k out of them, and they have gotten me where i needed to go. If i wanted a mud tire i wouldnt even waste my money with a radial.
Jim
jimmyp
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:52 am

Re: TIRES

Postby ajmorell » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:13 pm

jimmyp wrote:well its become obviouse that we are dealing with some professional mud boggers here. The original post sounded like a guy who is looking to put tires on his hunting/daily driving vehical, and for the AVERAGE human being any tire will work. I personally have had the BFs both MTs and ATs. I like them because on an 8000lb truck I can get 20-30k out of them, and they have gotten me where i needed to go. If i wanted a mud tire i wouldnt even waste my money with a radial.
Jim


I think it's safe to say that the original poster's question has been more than adequately answered. I don't see any harm in the conversation we had above, considering someone else's questions might be answered from the info we provided. No need for the banter.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: TIRES

Postby Sir Big Spur » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:35 pm

07 F-150
-33in Nitto Terragrapplers.
They are nice, ive ran the crap out of them for about 35k and still have plenty of tread left.
They perform great in most conditions, ran them in snow, slush, rain, mud, and all that jazz. Also pretty quiet which I enjoy.
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips.
User avatar
Sir Big Spur
hunter
 
Posts: 2129
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:14 pm
Location: NC

Re: TIRES

Postby dieselduck » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. If you know good tires you would buy these. Ive had Toyos, BFGs, Falkens, Dunlops, and Mickey Thompsons. I drive a Chevy Duramax 2500HD and the Duratrac is hands down the best tire. Aggressive, no noise, balance easily, wear evenly and long. My friend works for a large tire company (mining) and his Dodge 2500 work truck got 50k out of these on mine roads!
dieselduck
hunter
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: TIRES

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:12 pm

dieselduck wrote:My friend works for a large tire company (mining) and his Dodge 2500 work truck got 50k out of these on mine roads!


If the mining roads are all dirt the tires would wear very very slowly. Think about ATV tires. If I drove around the block with my atv I could show you the tread wearing down and the black marks on the concrete. BUT as long as those tires don't see pavement they will last forever. Dirt roads are hard on your suspension, not tires
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
User avatar
shoot-n-goose
hunter
 
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: Oakland County, Michigan

Re: TIRES

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:53 pm

The Duratracs have a pretty good following on work and county trucks around here for their long life but the guys do not care for them on wet roads or in the mud at all. I hear they work pretty good on hard packed trails and in snow too but not on Ice. Tires are like shotguns, they all have a following and all have good points and some have bad. most guys I know "compromise" for their street trucks and run some sort of AT or mild MT. I am running Toyo AT's and absolutely love them for the winter and summer on the road, I have a second set of wheels for hunting season and they are waiting for a new set of DC MT's if I can not locate a set of Interco truxus for a decent price real soon.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3755
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: TIRES

Postby dieselduck » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:35 am

shoot-n-goose wrote:
dieselduck wrote:My friend works for a large tire company (mining) and his Dodge 2500 work truck got 50k out of these on mine roads!


If the mining roads are all dirt the tires would wear very very slowly. Think about ATV tires. If I drove around the block with my atv I could show you the tread wearing down and the black marks on the concrete. BUT as long as those tires don't see pavement they will last forever. Dirt roads are hard on your suspension, not tires

You've obviously never seen a mine road. Worst conditions ever that cause tires to fail extremely frequently. Lots of shale and road debris. Most consumer tires don't even have a sidewall stiff enough to resisit flats. From
your post it doesn't sound like you've had alot of experience so talk about what you know, not what you don't know. Don't compare truck to atv tires. Do you know what a bias ply and open shoulder are without googling them? Probably not.
dieselduck
hunter
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: TIRES

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:57 pm

dieselduck wrote:
shoot-n-goose wrote:
dieselduck wrote:My friend works for a large tire company (mining) and his Dodge 2500 work truck got 50k out of these on mine roads!


If the mining roads are all dirt the tires would wear very very slowly. Think about ATV tires. If I drove around the block with my atv I could show you the tread wearing down and the black marks on the concrete. BUT as long as those tires don't see pavement they will last forever. Dirt roads are hard on your suspension, not tires

You've obviously never seen a mine road. Worst conditions ever that cause tires to fail extremely frequently. Lots of shale and road debris. Most consumer tires don't even have a sidewall stiff enough to resisit flats. From
your post it doesn't sound like you've had alot of experience so talk about what you know, not what you don't know. Don't compare truck to atv tires. Do you know what a bias ply and open shoulder are without googling them? Probably not.


But what you are saying is geared towards puncture resistance and sidewall strength, not wear resistance. I'm not saying Duratracs are not good tires, if you look on the first page I recommended them, having just personally mounted and balanced them. I'm sure they could make a tire that will last 100k on mining roads, but would be stiff as all hell and pretty useless for anything but driving on the worst-condition-ever mining roads.
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
User avatar
shoot-n-goose
hunter
 
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: Oakland County, Michigan

Re: TIRES

Postby dieselduck » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:41 pm

shoot-n-goose wrote:
But what you are saying is geared towards puncture resistance and sidewall strength, not wear resistance. I'm not saying Duratracs are not good tires, if you look on the first page I recommended them, having just personally mounted and balanced them. I'm sure they could make a tire that will last 100k on mining roads, but would be stiff as all hell and pretty useless for anything but driving on the worst-condition-ever mining roads.


Commercial tires are made to LAST on or off road. Thats the beauty of them as most consumer tires are geared one way or another (street or dirt). I was adding to their tread life durability that they also have great puncture resistance which I figured people would find appealing, not just hone in and say that they wont last on-road. Mine tires always last less time than road tires even if theres never a flat due to how quickly those horrible roads wear the tires down. For those of you that think the same tires at a mine will have a longer tread life than if they were on a highway need to go drive down a mine road.
dieselduck
hunter
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: TIRES

Postby carlschmarl2 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:57 pm

I vote for the Toyo MT's. Mine are the cat's *** when it comes to muddy corn fields. They are one of the quietest mud tires; no annoying hum while driving down the road. They have held their balance nicely (which is hard to do with a 35" mud tire) and the wear on them is very little in the 20,000 miles I've had them. Stones don't become lodged in the treads. The treads are almost an inch deep. Load range E. Nice sidewall tread. The only down side was that they were $332/tire.

Image

Image

Image
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
User avatar
carlschmarl2
hunter
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:10 pm
Location: NEOH

Re: TIRES

Postby texan68 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:38 am

Bridgestone Dueler AT's 285-75-17....I think? On my ford. About 50k
Leave it better than you found it. Pick up your empties.
User avatar
texan68
hunter
 
Posts: 1513
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:12 pm
Location: Tyler/Longview, Texas

Re: TIRES

Postby meathead » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:21 pm

Switched to the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs a few thousand ago and so far so good...still too early to give a full report, but so far a good middleground of pretty good off road capability and good on road performance
meathead
hunter
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:19 am
Location: Central ME

Re: TIRES

Postby GoldHunter » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:00 am

carlschmarl2 wrote:I vote for the Toyo MT's. Mine are the cat's *** when it comes to muddy corn fields. They are one of the quietest mud tires; no annoying hum while driving down the road. They have held their balance nicely (which is hard to do with a 35" mud tire) and the wear on them is very little in the 20,000 miles I've had them. Stones don't become lodged in the treads. The treads are almost an inch deep. Load range E. Nice sidewall tread. The only down side was that they were $332/tire.



Best mud tire made hands down in my opinion. On my third set on my HD Dodge.. :thumbsup:
User avatar
GoldHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:01 pm
Location: Elk Grove, CA

Re: TIRES

Postby dx1187 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Super Swamper Boggers....Expensive, can't hear the radio when traveling at highway speed, flat spot a little in cold weather until they warm up, get around 15k miles out of them BUT, they will go through most anything and they are just flat mean looking... :yes: Gotta love em'!!
User avatar
dx1187
hunter
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:50 am
Location: THE DUCK BLIND. LAKE FORK, TX

Re: TIRES

Postby juliadesusa » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:33 am

If you see your tyres are getting dull then just change it fast,For that many things are required to check first like
1) check the mileage warranty.
2) Tire age.
3) Type of tyre.
To purchase the best tyre please be sure that how your driving type is?
juliadesusa
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:49 am

Re: TIRES

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:23 pm

dx1187 wrote:Super Swamper Boggers....Expensive, can't hear the radio when traveling at highway speed, flat spot a little in cold weather until they warm up, get around 15k miles out of them BUT, they will go through most anything and they are just flat mean looking... :yes: Gotta love em'!!

they are only expensive when you get to the 40+ inch tires

oh and the next loudest tires out there are mud grapplers, they are louder than everything ive ran but the ogger! (inculding i roks)

also see how the flat spots are afer sitting for 3 monthes!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3230
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: TIRES

Postby Turkeypens15 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:20 pm

meathead wrote:Switched to the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs a few thousand ago and so far so good...still too early to give a full report, but so far a good middleground of pretty good off road capability and good on road performance


Agreed. just got my duratracs on and love them. not loud at all and heard they are a 45000+ mile tire.
Woodies is all we do!
n a few greenheads

P eople
E ating
T asty
A nimals
Turkeypens15
hunter
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:34 pm
Location: Raeford, NC

Re: TIRES

Postby dx1187 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:17 am

I was joking about the Boggers.

I am running 33x12.50x15 Federal Couragia MT's on my 92 Bronco and 315/75R16 Eldorado Mud Claws made by Cooper on my 02 F-150. Love both of these tires. Both ride great on the highway and have eaten their way through every mud hole I've been in "so far" The Mud Claws have a little road noise but nothing unbearable.

The Eldorado's were $880 out the door and the Federals were $680
User avatar
dx1187
hunter
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:50 am
Location: THE DUCK BLIND. LAKE FORK, TX

Re: TIRES

Postby dx1187 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:22 am

2500hdon37s wrote:
dx1187 wrote:Super Swamper Boggers....Expensive, can't hear the radio when traveling at highway speed, flat spot a little in cold weather until they warm up, get around 15k miles out of them BUT, they will go through most anything and they are just flat mean looking... :yes: Gotta love em'!!

they are only expensive when you get to the 40+ inch tires

oh and the next loudest tires out there are mud grapplers, they are louder than everything ive ran but the ogger! (inculding i roks)

also see how the flat spots are afer sitting for 3 monthes!


I consider this extremely high for this size and it is well under 40 inches... http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Super- ... n=SSTB-114

...and as far as flat spotting after 3 months, I don't see the relevance.
User avatar
dx1187
hunter
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:50 am
Location: THE DUCK BLIND. LAKE FORK, TX

Re: TIRES

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:41 am

dx1187 wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:
dx1187 wrote:Super Swamper Boggers....Expensive, can't hear the radio when traveling at highway speed, flat spot a little in cold weather until they warm up, get around 15k miles out of them BUT, they will go through most anything and they are just flat mean looking... :yes: Gotta love em'!!

they are only expensive when you get to the 40+ inch tires

oh and the next loudest tires out there are mud grapplers, they are louder than everything ive ran but the ogger! (inculding i roks)

also see how the flat spots are afer sitting for 3 monthes!


I consider this extremely high for this size and it is well under 40 inches... http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Super- ... n=SSTB-114

...and as far as flat spotting after 3 months, I don't see the relevance.

thats also at 4wheelparts most of their prices are high on everything.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3230
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: TIRES

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:43 am

just an update, my mud grapplers have about 28k miles on them and are lookin about 35-40% left!

brother also got a set of the Nitto trail grapplers and they are almost dead silent (like an AT sound) and are wearing great for him and he has about 5k miles on them so far
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3230
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: TIRES

Postby Turkeypens15 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Just an update here. I just rolled over 15000 miles on my goodyear duratracs and they still have a lot of tread. Road noise has picked up a little bit but is no where near unbearable. Can barely hear them with the radio on.
Woodies is all we do!
n a few greenheads

P eople
E ating
T asty
A nimals
Turkeypens15
hunter
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:34 pm
Location: Raeford, NC

PreviousNext

Return to Vehicle forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest