Nissan Xterra?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Nissan Xterra?

Postby crispy8034 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:18 pm

Hey all,
I'm going to be getting rid of the little honda and I'm looking to find a mid-size SUV. I've been considering the V6 Xterra, but I'm concerned about towing power? It has a 3.3L V6 that looks like it only puts out 170hp.. does anyone have any experience towing a duck boat with that little power? I'm trying to balance functionality with gas mileage - I don't want to have a nice rig and not be able to take it anywhere.

Thanks!
Chris
If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time and for no good reason.
crispy8034
hunter

Re: Nissan Xterra?

Postby SilverLakehunter » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:14 pm

Need a boat to worry about towing, cool guy!
BOOOOOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
SilverLakehunter
hunter

Postby crispy8034 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Haha, I've got a boat to tow. Now I just need to learn how to back it up right :crying:
If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time and for no good reason.
crispy8034
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 pm

What are you planning on towing with it?
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby crispy8034 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:19 pm

It would be a 16' V-hull aluminum boat (Slyvan Yukon). I'm not sure if it would be an issue or not, or if there would be any inexpensive things I could do to try to extract a bit more low end power out of the V6. It's 170 hp at 4800 RPMs, which is slightly depressing.

ajmorell - is that a grand cherokee in your picture? I'm very seriously considering one of those - any feedback/opinions on the '01-'03 years?
crispy8034
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:38 am

crispy8034 wrote:It would be a 16' V-hull aluminum boat (Slyvan Yukon). I'm not sure if it would be an issue or not, or if there would be any inexpensive things I could do to try to extract a bit more low end power out of the V6. It's 170 hp at 4800 RPMs, which is slightly depressing.

ajmorell - is that a grand cherokee in your picture? I'm very seriously considering one of those - any feedback/opinions on the '01-'03 years?

I'm not sure what the tow rating on the Xterra is - you might look into that and compare it to the weight of the boat you're towing. As for GC's, yes I own a '98 and my mom owns an '01. My '98 has the 4.0 I6 and leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to towing, but it will get the job done as that engine makes good torque numbers low in the RPM band. My mom's '01 has the 4.7 v8 and tows our 14 ft deep-V like it's not even there and also towed my uncles 16 foot War-Eagle like it wasn't even there. The 01-03 Grand Cherokees are good vehicles IMO but you will always have nay-sayers out there. If you are seriously looking at a GC don't waste your time looking at one with a 6-cyl. The 4.7 v8 makes a lot better power and mileage is actually about the same (I averaged 21 mpg in my mom's on a 1000 mile trip, compared to my '98 which I averaged about 22 in on the same trip).
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby crispy8034 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:04 pm

Great info - thanks man.
crispy8034
hunter

Postby killerv » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:42 pm

that sounds like an older xterra since you mentioned the 3.3 170hp engine. I had a frontier crewcab with the same engine and I believe it was the same frame and everything. It should pull that, I pulled a 12x6ft trailer loaded down with a half ton of seed, four wheeler and plow with no problem so whatever that weighs. The moter was a little light so I added a upgraded the exhaust and added a stillen intake. I babied this truck but it seemed it was always in the shop for something though, went through 3 heat sheilds, a transmisson control module, finally traded it in at 133,000 miles when It blew the head gasket and rear main seal. Most people I know who have bought nissans over the past say 10 years have had issues.
killerv
hunter

Postby utduck » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:33 pm

I have an 01 xterra V6 that pulls my 14' V hull boat, me and 3 other guys, 2 dogs and all our hunting gear, it's tight but it tows and hauls well. I also have the front push bar and new solid rocker panel nerf bars so I've got a lot of extra weight. Cruises along at 70-75 mph just fine. You'll notice it's back there on hills but other than that you forget about it. Solid SUV imo. Mines at 140,000 miles and still runs strong.
utduck
hunter

Postby Joe-Nathan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:56 pm

I have a 2000 Xterra 4x4 w/ 140000miles. I pull a 14' flatbottom, 18' fiberglass bass boat and am currently pulling a 16' go-devil longtail (very heavy boat). I have even pulled a 16' tand axle trailer a few times. The '00 - 04' had a 5000lb tow rating (this w/ an auto tranny). The thing about an these trucks is that the peak torque is reached at about 2000rpm. So they can pull a fairly heavy load. You should not have a problem pulling on the highway, it just takes a little time to get up to speed. Now you will run into problems in the mountains. The new model Xterras ('05 - '10) have a lot more horse power and torque. I would not run the truck in O/D unless you are on the interstate that is flat.

my 2cents...
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)
Joe-Nathan
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:28 pm

It should pull it just fine. I am not a Nissan fan but they are good rigs. I had a friend with one and it towed his 18ft jon loaded for hunting just fine. I woul look in to a Toyota though but that is just me.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Return to Vehicle forum