need help on getting a vehicle.

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

need help on getting a vehicle.

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:54 am

so im 15 and dont get my license for another couple months. there is this truck i want. its a 1998 Chevy K1500, extended cab, 4x4, new motor(they dropped a different one in), rebuilt tranny. there is a pretty big dent on the ride side(but its my first vehicle). it has 200 miles on the new motor. they are wanting 5900 for it. is it worth getting?

P.S and i know you need to test drive it and stuff.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Re: need help on getting a vehicle.

Postby ajmorell » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:15 am

IMO, no. Even though it has a newer engine and rebuilt transmission that is still a pretty high price considering the body sounds somewhat rough, although price varies quite a bit by region. How many miles are on the body, what kind of condition is the interior in, how well did the last owner maintain the vehicle...and can they prove it? These are the questions I consider when looking at a vehicle in addition to the other obvious ones.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:28 pm

ajmorell wrote:IMO, no. Even though it has a newer engine and rebuilt transmission that is still a pretty high price considering the body sounds somewhat rough, although price varies quite a bit by region. How many miles are on the body, what kind of condition is the interior in, how well did the last owner maintain the vehicle...and can they prove it? These are the questions I consider when looking at a vehicle in addition to the other obvious ones.

i mean, its my first car. im going to probly end up putting a dent or two in it. the dent doesnt really matter. and i believe i said they wanted 5900. they want 5400. the interior is in great shape, maintained well and im not sure how many miles are on the frame.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:16 pm

ILgoosehunter12 wrote:
ajmorell wrote:IMO, no. Even though it has a newer engine and rebuilt transmission that is still a pretty high price considering the body sounds somewhat rough, although price varies quite a bit by region. How many miles are on the body, what kind of condition is the interior in, how well did the last owner maintain the vehicle...and can they prove it? These are the questions I consider when looking at a vehicle in addition to the other obvious ones.

i mean, its my first car. im going to probly end up putting a dent or two in it. the dent doesnt really matter. and i believe i said they wanted 5900. they want 5400. the interior is in great shape, maintained well and im not sure how many miles are on the frame.

Well, it still seems a bit high in my book considering it is a 11 year old vehicle. I'm sure with some searching you could find a truck just as nice for less than $4,000.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby GoldHunter » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:08 am

Check and see or ask how many miles are on the odometer! I agree with ajmorell...that is a bit steep, chances are if it needed a new motor and tranny, it probably has quite a few miles on it and that thing could nickel and dime you to death with other components that may or could go out. Not sure about your area but Craigslist here has a ton of good trucks in that price range that are much newer.
GoldHunter
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:13 pm

ILgoosehunter12 wrote:i mean, its my first car. im going to probly end up putting a dent or two in it. the dent doesnt really matter.

That kind of scares me. You are much better of getting a truck that looks nice, so then you will treat it right and actually care about it. If you buy a beater and beat on it for your first car, every car after that will get treated the same. If you wait and get a nice looking vehicle that you care about, you will find yourself going out of your way to keep it that way. Seeing as how I'm driving my first truck still, if I had that same attitude you do now, I'd want to kick my own ass.

What ever you do, don't disrespect your truck. Its not worth it in the end, and your future vehicles will thank you. Buy the nicest truck you can afford, maybe even one that you have to borrow some money for, then you wont have and excuse to treat it like a POS. Goodluck with your search
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum