How much winch?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

How much winch?

Postby lameduck » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:52 pm

So I have been reading a lot about winches and it has left me more confused than when I started. I have a F-250 7.3L power stroke so I know I need a big winch but I do not know how big. I will be using it probably 2-3 times a year during deer hunting season, because the roads at my ranch get really sketchy. My cousin used to come and pull me out but he just got a 2 wheel drive dually, which in the mud might as well be a mini van. I was looking at the warn 12,000 power plant, 15,000, and 16.5ti. Also most of the time when I get stuck it quickly sinks to the frame, which I imagine would make it harder to pull out.Thanks for the help!
lameduck
hunter

Re: How much winch?

Postby huntforfunnfood » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:11 pm

ive never known any one to say there winch was to big....but as you get bigger i am sure you have found the cost rises quickly as well.

generally the guys that use them alot say get one that is rated twice as much as your truck weights so if your truck weights 8000 lbs get a 16000 lb winch.

i am in the same boat as you and use mine maybe half a dozen times a year in that case one has the option of getting one rated the same as your truck weight and double back the cable with a winch pulley rated enough to handle it.....you cut your winch speed in half but generally because you will be using alot more of your cable your making better use of your winch

a winch is only reaching its most efficent use of rated power with one wrap of cable across the spoll so if you have alot of cable on the spoll and its wrapped 4 rounds thick a 1000lb winch might only have the power to pull say 6000lbs....
you can check out warn or ramsey sites and see the exact figures there....

also i highly reccommend getting one of those two winches they last and will hold up as well as hold there value better

i have a 8000lb ramsey on my 1/2 ford which weights about 6500lbs as it sets i always try to use my snach block get alot of cable off double it back to a tow hook that basicy doubles the pulling power of my winch to 16000 lbs ....as long as my cable and snach block aren't under rated and end up being a weak link make sure everything is strong enough to handle the load you put it under....

i have had my truck in some ulgy stuff and so far as long as i can find something to hook to i haven't been stranded....i did have an issue of being in the middle of an open corn cut corn feild once though...took a cat challenger to come get me....:) i shouldn't have gotten such a run and probley should have stopped while i could still open the doors LOL some people never grow up though...
huntforfunnfood
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:28 pm

I was always told somewhere in the range of 1.5 times the weight of your vehicle is a good place to start. Can't go wrong with Warn or Ramsey but there are other decent brands out there too.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby OrangeLake » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:28 am

Going with twice your vehicle weight is a good decision. You're not going to be pulling on pavement with it in neutral, you're pulling your vehicles weight as well as through whatever has got you stuck. Sure a weaker one will work, but believe me, burnt up winch is no fun.
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby Joe01bass » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:20 am

a good rule of thumb is to always get at least 1.5 times your vehicles weight ex. 5000 lbs get a least an 8000 lb winch, and always use a snatch block when you can. Yes it does slow down the speed but it also cuts the work for the winch in half at least, which creates less heat, which will save your expensive tool. That being said I would (and will when I save enough) get the biggest one you can afford, even if it takes you a little longer to save for it. Trust me, you don't want to find out your winch doesnt have the balls to pull you out when your already stuck. Those diesels weigh over 1000 pounds. Add that to the suction that mud likes to create and you can get aggravated pretty quickly. Another good idea is to put it on a receiver and put a receiver front and rear on your truck so you can move it back and front depending on where you want to winch to. Hope that helps.
Joe01bass
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:07 pm

I run my 12000 lb off the power steering pump, the thing about the hydraulic winches is that they are independent of the size of your battery!!!! If I was using an electric one I would definitely have 2 of 1000 amp batteries and as mentioned earlier use snatch blocks as much as you can to cut the amperage draw and prolong the lifespan of that little DC electric motor. Oh did I mention that the hydraulics are impervious to water damage, well almost, but definitely stand up over the long term better than the "toy" electrics. I switched from a PTO driven from the Transfer Case all mechanical winches to the hydraulic one about 10 years ago. The electrics just don't seem to last under severe use. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby magnum12 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:33 am

I have a 12,000 lb Warn on my power wagon which the truck itself weighs in just under 7000lbs that works well in pulling my truck and other trucks out.
magnum12
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:50 am

SO in the middle of the field and up to the frame in mud what are you using for an anchor to fasten the winch to?
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:56 pm

lostknife4 wrote:SO in the middle of the field and up to the frame in mud what are you using for an anchor to fasten the winch to?

It would depend on the situation. They do make winch anchors which anchor to the ground, but if the entire field is mud you might be SOL. I would guess you are going to have to anchor to another vehicle that is on solid ground. It might involve using some chain in addition to the winch cable to achieve the length you need but it would probably work. That or go get the big JD tractor to pull you out :yes:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby shoot-n-goose » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:26 pm

lostknife4 wrote:SO in the middle of the field and up to the frame in mud what are you using for an anchor to fasten the winch to?

That's why you always carry a collapsible shovel and small hand saw in your rig. You can make a winch point from a the saw, a tree branch, and the shovel in about 10 minutes.

All you do is dig a trench parallel to the front bumper a good distance away from the truck. Make it more than a foot deep (depending on ground conditions), at least 4 feet long, and about 6 inches wide. Then dig a narrow channel from the center of the trench in the direction of the stuck vehicle with an upward slope. Now cut a tree branch about 5" in diameter and the length of the trench*. Secure the winch cable to a strap wrapped around the middle of the log and drop it in the trench. The strap will be in the narrow channel and the log perpendicular to it in the trench.

If you ever pull the log from the ground it means you didn't dig the trench deep enough :thumbsup:

*Actual log/trench size will depend on the size/weight of stuck truck
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:38 am

Winches are great if you have an anchor point or another vehicle to anchor to. I have winch plates that go under the front tires of the anchor vehicle. they are like a small ramp and chain to the vehicle frame. as the anchor vehicle is dragged forward it of course tries to go up the ramps which it can not as they are pulling down on the frame as the vehicle tries to go up. This creates a wedge type of stop to help prevent the vehicle from moving forward when winching out another stuck truck.

Even if you go with a 9000 winch you can double the line (pulley block) and have 18,000 pull capacity but if you have a heavy truck stuck to the frame in sticky mud they do not come out easily. The mud creates a suction and is just like being parked in cement. I have had to use the dozer a few times to get trucks out of the fields that a doubled 12,000 (24,000) winch just would not pull.

the best option is to get the winch you can afford, Mount it properly and ALWAYS go with at least one other truck. the faster you get the stuck vehicle out the easier it is.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum