Ford or GM

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Re: Ford or GM

Postby duckslayer22175 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:42 pm

i have drove GMs up tp about 6yrs ago but since then i bought an 97 f-150 , and i love it i have no complaints still rides like the day i bought it , i do like GMS still but ithe quality of vehichle has took a dump over the years
duckslayer22175
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:10 am

Just look at resale value and it is quite obvious who makes the better gas truck....

GM comes in second and of course Dodge in last.

As for diesel, I believe it is the exact opposite. Though each company makes a comparable high quality product, you can't beat the 5.9L, and I know every ford or dodge driver wishes they could put an Allsion behind their cummins or stroke.

just my .02
Leave it better than you found it. Pick up your empties.
texan68
hunter

Postby juliadesusa » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:14 am

Well I will go for FORD,It has many important functionalities like it has the fuel efficiency better then other, And it made with advanced computerised technology also. IT is one of the strongest car I can say, And all the version of FORD will get more and more functionalities.
juliadesusa
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:17 am

I'm not going to lie, I am ecstatic to see how the 2011 F150 with the ecoboost works out. It is making some damn impressive power numbers (more hp/tq than most of the v8's out there including the old Ford 5.4, Chevy 5.3 and Dodge Hemi) and still pulling mid 20's for mpgs.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 am

Real trucks don't have spark plugs, my car is a Subaru, truck 2003 Ram Diesel 4x4 6 spd std. just coming up on 300,000 miles. No problems yet.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby barryboy08 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:28 pm

D O D G E
Happy Hunting!
barryboy08
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:12 pm

ajmorell wrote:I'm not going to lie, I am ecstatic to see how the 2011 F150 with the ecoboost works out. It is making some damn impressive power numbers (more hp/tq than most of the v8's out there including the old Ford 5.4, Chevy 5.3 and Dodge Hemi) and still pulling mid 20's for mpgs.

on paper these look great but in actual testing I have seen they do not live up to the hype. I have drove one and they are not impressive at all, but I am comparing it to an 8.1l and duramax in silverado HD's too. There is also some videos of drag races with the F150 ecoboost, dodge 1500 and silverado 1500's and the ford came up short empty and loaded and real bad with a trailer in tow. If your not towing I think it would be a nice little PU to have and they look pretty nice too, If the ecoBoost was such a great little v6 they would be using it in the Raptor too.

I will stick with GM myself (I have had too many issues with the others and I get the GM discount) although I think Dodge has the best looking trucks on the road and I like the solid front axle in an HD series but their diesel still does not have the power of the other 2 and eats more fuel too.

My issue with all of them is the new federal mandated laws that require all the smog equipment and list outrageous fines for removing the DPF or the new Urea systems. I get close to 22 hwy(21.9) and 18.5 around town if I do not play with it :biggrin: in a stock 11 duramax.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:55 pm

texan68 wrote:Just look at resale value and it is quite obvious who makes the better gas truck....

GM comes in second and of course Dodge in last.

As for diesel, I believe it is the exact opposite. Though each company makes a comparable high quality product, you can't beat the 5.9L, and I know every ford or dodge driver wishes they could put an Allsion behind their cummins or stroke.

just my .02

My Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab has a 6 spd standard and it also has 350,000 on the odometer, been across the continent 6 times hauling a 10,000 lb trailer. I'm sure they make some but I have never seen a long haul tractor trailer with an automatic transmission. I wouldn't have one in my truck. Yes it's a work truck, 2003 Cummins. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:27 pm

ajmorell wrote:I'm not going to lie, I am ecstatic to see how the 2011 F150 with the ecoboost works out. It is making some damn impressive power numbers (more hp/tq than most of the v8's out there including the old Ford 5.4, Chevy 5.3 and Dodge Hemi) and still pulling mid 20's for mpgs.

buddy has one.... very peppy little truck, and with a tune they out preform the ford 6.2L gas engine. but they are a soccer mom's van, hook a trailer on and you get single digit millage, and some have had trans. problems.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:20 am

2500hdon37s wrote:

buddy has one.... very peppy little truck, and with a tune they out preform the ford 6.2L gas engine. but they are a soccer mom's van, hook a trailer on and you get single digit millage, and some have had trans. problems.

Same think I have seen with them. I think they are more marketed for the people that want the look of a truck but do not plan on towing a lot with it.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:18 am

I can't say I've paid much attention to the real world reviews from people actually using F150s with the EcoBoost for heavy towing, so you may be right. I can't afford one right now anyways, I was just hopeful that it would all it was cracked up to be. I honestly think that Ford should develop an EcoBoost v8 for the superduty but I don't see that happening. I did drive a F350 with the 6.2 and 6-speed and have to say it drove really nice but I don't know how it does with any significant load behind it. I will say that the new 6-speed auto's are really nice compared to the old 4-speeds, even for just driving around without a trailer.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Really this topic should have also included "Intended Use", if you are looking for a work truck hauler or something to carry home the groceries you have two applications light years apart, the TRUCKS will be too! My "pick up" RAM plows snow all winter, hauls a 28 foot Haulmark 10k pound car trailer full of product all year long, boats and ATV's, been stuck in mud up to the door handles and crossed brooks with water coming up the hood to the wipers and is responsible for the demise of one Moose so far. Not your average pick up application but it's my intended use so far. Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:58 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:

on paper these look great but in actual testing I have seen they do not live up to the hype. I have drove one and they are not impressive at all, but I am comparing it to an 8.1l and duramax in silverado HD's too. There is also some videos of drag races with the F150 ecoboost, dodge 1500 and silverado 1500's and the ford came up short empty and loaded and real bad with a trailer in tow. If your not towing I think it would be a nice little PU to have and they look pretty nice too, If the ecoBoost was such a great little v6 they would be using it in the Raptor too.

I will stick with GM myself (I have had too many issues with the others and I get the GM discount) although I think Dodge has the best looking trucks on the road and I like the solid front axle in an HD series but their diesel still does not have the power of the other 2 and eats more fuel too.

My issue with all of them is the new federal mandated laws that require all the smog equipment and list outrageous fines for removing the DPF or the new Urea systems. I get close to 22 hwy(21.9) and 18.5 around town if I do not play with it :biggrin: in a stock 11 duramax.

My Ram is giving 24.6 mpg on the highway and just under 20 in town so how can you say it eats fuel? I think the Ram is the ugliest truck on the market, was never "in style" therefor will never be out of "style" and besides it's a work truck. If I had wanted a pansy a$$ed vehicle I probably would have bought a Toyota Corola and removed the back seat to carry tools etc, the ones we have had you could drive all day and still have over a quarter of a tank of fuel left. Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:33 pm

lostknife4 wrote:My Ram is giving 24.6 mpg on the highway and just under 20 in town so how can you say it eats fuel? Lost

You are doing better that ANY one I know with a cummins diesel. I know a lot of farmers that are getting 12 with them and 15 to 17 on the highway. Every test I have seen in the Big 3 diesel mags list Dodge as the worst fuel economy and their test usually come up with around 17 highway. Glad to see your doing great with yours but that is an exception unless you have made a lot of mods to it. I am talking all stock trucks with these figures. But I still like the "style" of the Dodge over ford or GM :biggrin:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:50 pm

It' a 6 speed standard, a free wheeling kit on the front axle and standard tires, a larger exhaust system from BD Diesel but other than that it's stock. 2003 quad cab. Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:50 am

lostknife4 wrote:It' a 6 speed standard, a free wheeling kit on the front axle and standard tires, a larger exhaust system from BD Diesel but other than that it's stock. 2003 quad cab. Lost

5.9L with that combo will easily pull that kind of millage, my '01 5spd cummins work truck pulls 17.5mpg while running around checking/ feeding cows but its also got a hydra-bed, banks monster exhaust, banks tuner, AFE intake, full billet trans with southbend dual disk clutch.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:16 pm

Your grandfather probably was a democrat, your father and you too! Just because it's handed down doesn't mean it's hereditary.
There are other choices, and although I have had several fords I will never have another one. I vote for the man not the party. Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Previous

Return to Vehicle forum