Motor oil - synthetic really worth the xtra $$?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Motor oil - synthetic really worth the xtra $$?

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:47 am

I've normally turned over vehicles at or before 100K but am keeping the current truck awhile past that. In considering the next oil change at 90K...any suggestions/experience on the value of coverting to synthetic?

TIA!
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re: Motor oil - synthetic really worth the xtra $$?

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 am

Not to me its not. I run 10/30 Valvoline in both my vehicles and they each have over 100k miles on them. The lil yota has 151k on it and still going strong with the oil being changed every 3-5k miles. But I also put a lot of miles on a vehicle. I routinely change oil about every 1.5 months because of the miles I put on them.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:07 am

IMO yes it is 100% worth it IF you run extended drain intervals. With a good quality filter and good synthetic 10k miles between changes is nothing. My dad runs 15k between changes in his Saturn Aura and in my mom's Jeep Grand Cherokee and I run 12k changes in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I run Amsoil with the Amsoil EA filter. I have also run Royal Purple and Mobil 1 with a Napa Gold (Wix) filter for 6-8k miles with good results.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:24 am

Thanks for the input guys. Not being a motorhead of ANY sort :yes: Fewer changes sounds good but also know (or hear) once you go sythentic you have to stay there.

My goal is improved life versus frequency of service and not sure if that is really what the synthetic buys ya?
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Major Woods » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:56 pm

Great oil info here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ will keep you busy for weeks :yes:
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Thanks for the input guys. Not being a motorhead of ANY sort :yes: Fewer changes sounds good but also know (or hear) once you go sythentic you have to stay there.

My goal is improved life versus frequency of service and not sure if that is really what the synthetic buys ya?

Once you go synthetic you don't have to stay there but I can't think of any reason to switch back to dino oil either. Not only can you go longer between changes but yes, synthetic offers more protection than dino oil does. It takes longer to break down in general, but especially when you are talking about high temperatures.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Hookedonducks » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Synthetics are the only way to go. Like previously mentioned the extended drain intervals pay for the small cost difference several times over. My last truck had 220,000 on it when I sold it and I changed my oil every 12 to 15 thousand miles. I highly recommend Mobil One synthetics. The only downside to these oils and the extended drain intervals is that oil filters wont last as long as the oil. Change the filter around 6 or 7 thousand miles and top off the oil and no worries.
Hookedonducks
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:31 am

Hookedonducks wrote:Synthetics are the only way to go. Like previously mentioned the extended drain intervals pay for the small cost difference several times over. My last truck had 220,000 on it when I sold it and I changed my oil every 12 to 15 thousand miles. I highly recommend Mobil One synthetics. The only downside to these oils and the extended drain intervals is that oil filters wont last as long as the oil. Change the filter around 6 or 7 thousand miles and top off the oil and no worries.

You are right about the filter, however if you run Amsoil they now offer a filter which you only need to change once (when you change the oil)
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Hookedonducks » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:46 pm

ajmorell, do you know anything about amsoils diesel oil? I've been thinking about running it in my current truck but have heard mixed reviews. I know amsoil makes a good product we run it in our race engines that run methanol but run mobil one in the gas engines due to cost. I didnt realize that amsoil made an oil filter.
Hookedonducks
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:08 pm

Hookedonducks wrote:ajmorell, do you know anything about amsoils diesel oil? I've been thinking about running it in my current truck but have heard mixed reviews. I know amsoil makes a good product we run it in our race engines that run methanol but run mobil one in the gas engines due to cost. I didnt realize that amsoil made an oil filter.

Off of the top of my head, no I can't say I do. I do have a ton of literature on Amsoil though so do me a favor and send me a PM to remind to look. Amsoil has made a filter for the last year or two IIRC.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:02 am

Synthetic puts that extra coating of lube on your moving parts that normal oil won't. I've seen studies done with synthetics and was impressed. I would only say useing synthetic's is your have a newer vehicle like 2000 and up. If your truck has been running just fine for the past ten years with normal just keep it that way BUT if you think it will help it then by all mean jump in the bandwagon. I just changed my truck over and will stick to syntheic in everything from here on out. Bought new diff covers and changed that fluid over, changed the oil over with royal purple synthetic and when I build up my trans i'll change it over as well. I drive a 06 dodge diesel.

Amosil is just fine and would run it. Just got my last oil change for free since I was deployed and went with royal purple.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dieselduck » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:43 am

Mobil 1 is not truly full synthetic oil. They won a lawsuit a long while back and they are allowed to put full synthetic on the bottle even though its not 100% synthetic. If you want the best of the best in synthetic check out Schaeffers. If you know what youre looking for in oil read its specs. Amazing stuff. I drive a 04 Chevy diesel and personally run dino Rotella 15w-40 and have for 100k.
dieselduck
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:12 pm

dieselduck wrote:Mobil 1 is not truly full synthetic oil. They won a lawsuit a long while back and they are allowed to put full synthetic on the bottle even though its not 100% synthetic. If you want the best of the best in synthetic check out Schaeffers. If you know what youre looking for in oil read its specs. Amazing stuff. I drive a 04 Chevy diesel and personally run dino Rotella 15w-40 and have for 100k.

True. There are 2 different bases of synthetic III & IV. Base III synthetics are derived from petroleum products, base IV are not IIRC. Amsoil and Royal Purple are both base IV. That being said, even though Mobil 1 is base III it is still a damn good oil and leaps and bounds above conventional dino oil.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby dieselduck » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:14 pm

That is not necessarily true. Mobil 1 is good stuff but I don't run it over rotella. Oil choice both type and viscosity are application based. "conventional dino oil" such as mobil delvac or shell rotella have much better detergents for diesel applications. Ask any big trucking company they all run either delvac or rotella. Ive been a diesel mechanic so this is not speculation either. It's rpm dependent and most diesels run under 4k Rpms. Dino oil just doesn't break down at that low of a load range. I do run mobil 1 10w-30 in my transfercase however as it's a chain driven unit and it's outstanding for that.
dieselduck
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:45 pm

dieselduck wrote:That is not necessarily true. Mobil 1 is good stuff but I don't run it over rotella. Oil choice both type and viscosity are application based. "conventional dino oil" such as mobil delvac or shell rotella have much better detergents for diesel applications. Ask any big trucking company they all run either delvac or rotella. Ive been a diesel mechanic so this is not speculation either. It's rpm dependent and most diesels run under 4k Rpms. Dino oil just doesn't break down at that low of a load range. I do run mobil 1 10w-30 in my transfercase however as it's a chain driven unit and it's outstanding for that.

...sorry I guess I should've said "leaps and bounds above most dino oils...depeding on applicaton" :thumbsup:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:58 pm

03 Ram diesel, 650.000 kms, always used Shell Rotella T 15-40. I like the idea of long term oils but I also like to grease the chasis and check out all the gear train regularly for fluid levels etc. Changed the U-joints to Moog greasable units and the front axle hubs to free wheeling style, a LOT easier to maintainance, not being a throw away hub brg assembly. 6 speed standard tranny and manual TC. This truck has hauled a 10,000lb Haulmard trailer coast to coast quite a few times. ~ Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:08 am

I switched over to 100% synth oil at the first 1000 miles as I had heard that some engines burn oil in the Isuzus and never wanted to add a liter every 1000 miles. apparently with the high temps ordinary oil gets really burned off.
Also I change every 3000 miles of Canadian climate.
Last Dec we had went ice fishing 105 miles and idled the engine all day and drove back home and found out the oil filler cap was not put on and there was oil all over the engine compartment an the dipstick was barely registering any oil and two years later and 200,000 kms it is still running and only burns a half a litre of oil per 3,000 miles plus it starts better in the winter and I get about 1 1/2 miles per gallon increase My 97 grand am runs on Walmart syn and has 190,000 and only burns a third liter every 5000 miles
Also when I pull out my spark plugs in both vehicles they ar e all whitish tan without any carbon residue
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Not going to say that one is better than the other, but my father is a mechanic and my brother is a service manager. With them and all the other mechanics i know, none of them use synthetic, just my .02
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby dieselduck » Thu May 06, 2010 3:13 pm

REM1100 wrote:I switched over to 100% synth oil at the first 1000 miles as I had heard that some engines burn oil in the Isuzus and never wanted to add a liter every 1000 miles. apparently with the high temps ordinary oil gets really burned off.
Also I change every 3000 miles of Canadian climate.
Last Dec we had went ice fishing 105 miles and idled the engine all day and drove back home and found out the oil filler cap was not put on and there was oil all over the engine compartment an the dipstick was barely registering any oil and two years later and 200,000 kms it is still running and only burns a half a litre of oil per 3,000 miles plus it starts better in the winter and I get about 1 1/2 miles per gallon increase My 97 grand am runs on Walmart syn and has 190,000 and only burns a third liter every 5000 miles
Also when I pull out my spark plugs in both vehicles they ar e all whitish tan without any carbon residue

Synthetic oil is not meant to be burnt, so if your vehicle is burning oil youd be better off actually using dino oil.
dieselduck
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:50 pm

You are right about a third to half a litre of syn oil went past the rings and valve guides and syn oil shoul dnot burn, The reason i switched to syn on my Isuzu is that the previous year Isuzus were oil consumption smokers but I got lucky as they improvede the ring setup in mine as it wasa later 2002 bproduction
Ordinary oil at high temps do vaporize and that is one of the reasons I o not want to use them.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby C-Hawk19 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:06 pm

i am a huge fan of synthetics my truck runs smoother and gets better fuel economy with synthetics. i will run nothing else any more. also they will let you go longer on an oil change. after 3000 miles regular oil will begin to become acidic and kinda hurt your engine over time while synthetics you can run much longer.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:57 pm

ajmorell wrote:IMO yes it is 100% worth it I run 12k changes in my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Did you not just replace the engine in your GC due to the engine seizing up? :yes:

I run synthetic in my truck and my dad runs cheep store brand straight 30 in his and we both run about 5000 on the oil. one of his (1977 chevy 4x4) had over 400,000 on the original drive train when the body fell apart. it smokes a bit but is still 100% reliable. His 1994 has over 200,000 on it and is still going strong. So IMO I do not think it really matters at all. I do know some guys that switched to synthetic and had to switch back due to burning thru the synthetic about a quart every change and not having the same issue with conventional. if I run synthetic in my 35hp briggs or my 23hp Kawasaki they will smoke on start-up every time. I continue to use it due to the fact that I bought out about 25 cases from an bank auction at about .50 a quart but when it is gone I am not sure I will pay the extra or just go with the store brand conventional.

I did learn something I find very interesting on the oil subject. I have a customer that runs a mass transit garage. they are converting gas busses to cNG and he told me that he has 2 older busses that have been running propane since new, Over 750,000 miles on the GM 427's. When they change the oil he said it looks as clean as it did when it was put in. he says that the engines / oil just seem to last a LOT longer when not burning gasoline.
Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:36 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:Did you not just replace the engine in your GC due to the engine seizing up? :yes:

Yes, I did but it wasn't an oil issue. It at some point spit out all the coolant (lower rad. hose came off) and overheated (temp gauge never pegged with no fluid to read off). As hot as it got I was amazed at how pristine the bottom end looked, although I don't know that the bottom end got nearly as hot as the top end did.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just had to pull your chain :yes: :yes: :yes:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:59 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Just had to pull your chain :yes: :yes: :yes:

Yeah I figured someone would chime in about that seeing as I have a thread just a few down about the new engine. :biggrin:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Vehicle forum