Flex Fuel

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Flex Fuel

Postby SPatrick » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:19 am

Hey fellas just picked up a 2007 dodge Ram 1500 that has the flex fuel system, I would love to think that I am supporting American farmers by using E85 and not dumping money into some jihadist hajjis pockets. But besides that are there any big time pros or cons to using e85, havent done to much research on it so if anyone has anything please let me know thanks guys.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Re: Flex Fuel

Postby ajmorell » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:18 pm

SPatrick wrote:Hey fellas just picked up a 2007 dodge Ram 1500 that has the flex fuel system, I would love to think that I am supporting American farmers by using E85 and not dumping money into some jihadist hajjis pockets. But besides that are there any big time pros or cons to using e85, havent done to much research on it so if anyone has anything please let me know thanks guys.

You don't gain anything by running e85, and most of that money you spend on that isn't going to the farmers because they are subsidized by the gov't anyways. Ethanol has less energy per unit volume than gasoline does so your mileage will almost certainly go down. If e85 was a lot cheaper than maybe it would save you some money but from what I have seen it isn't much if any cheaper than 87 octane
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby devildog28 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Been around for years and there's a reason barely anyone uses it. :thumbsup:
devildog28
hunter

Postby Hookedonducks » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:10 pm

I have played around with e85 for the last couple of years and it's not a bad fuel just different. Some will tell you that your mileage will go down nearly 30% but my experience has shown it to be closer to 12%. A year ago around here you could buy e85 nearly a dollar a gallon cheaper than 87 octane unleaded which made it a good choice for fuel. I'm not sure what the cost is currently because I'm buying diesel now. One thing to watch with ethanol fuels is moisture. If its winter time and your not driving the vehicle daily theres a good chance of getting large qauntities of moisture in the tank when this happens the moisture will attach to the ethanol and separate it from the gasoline. Look around and see what it sells for around you and try a tank or two to see what your mileage says.
Hookedonducks
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum