How do ya make your truck last? high mileage

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

How do ya make your truck last? high mileage

Postby yamaha783 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:37 am

Have an '04 Z71 suburban with about 104K miles, paid for, and can't afford a new truck any time soon. What are your suggestions on keeping this (or any truck) rolling as long as possible while avoiding replacing expensive parts? The oil has been changed its whole life and had the transmission flushed back around 85K or so. Your thoughts? Thanks for any input
yamaha783
hunter

Re: How do ya make your truck last? high mileage

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri May 14, 2010 12:06 pm

Do regular maintenance on it...don't pull heavy loads all the time with it, change the oil regularly...like every 5k miles or less.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri May 14, 2010 11:19 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:Do regular maintenance on it...don't pull heavy loads all the time with it, change the oil regularly...like every 5k miles or less.

x2 on the routine maintenance. A little upkeep now will serve you well in the future :thumbsup:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby T Man » Sun May 16, 2010 10:43 am

Ive got just shy of 245k on my hunting truck (01 2500 Chevy 6.0 4x4). Vigilant routine maintence is a must, obviously, but you are getting to the point where GM balljoints wear out. There isnt much you can do about it, they just do. If you are at all mechanicly inclined this is an afternoon project with the proper tools, if not, pay someone to do it. It will cost a bunch (500-600) but it is a safety issue.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Besides the maintenance keep in mind tha you want the truck to last when your driving it. Dont beat the piss out of it, take it easy on the bumps jack rabbit starts. Basically dont drive like a teenager

My brother and I both baby the crap out of our trucks and it shows. I'm sure I look drunk avoiding all the damn potholes in Michigan
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:41 am

shoot-n-goose wrote:I'm sure I look drunk avoiding all the damn potholes in Michigan

I'm glad I'm not the only one who dodge's the potholes :biggrin:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:45 am

Routine maitnence..I run synthetics in everything, Engine, tranny, and diffs. I run royal purple in the summer time, its a bit more expensive but it really does make a big difference in operating temps. And the tranny still looks brand new when I drop it. In my other truck I ran conventional towing the same boats and trailers and have scorch marks all along the pan.
Sabre1
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:01 pm

i agree with sabre use synthetics my 00 2500 has just shy of 300,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. change oil every 5m or so tranny and axles hoses, belts, plugs, wires every 50 or so if possible.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:38 am

Real trucks don't have spark plugs! 2003 Dodge quad cab 4x4 6sp std, diesel 378K change oil every 5k filters grease etc and drive like an old guy. I've kept my pick ups usually for 20 years then park em and get a new one. Always had Internationals until they stopped making them. 3/4 and 1 tons, haul a 28 foot 10k pound Haulmark fully loaded trailer occasionally, 5 trips across the continent with the trailer, and plow snow all winter. Put a free wheeling kit on the front axle and a new larger exhaust system, brakes all around and a fuel pump at 300k and batteries at 250k, tires are Michelines. I think it works better now than when I first bought it, it's primarily a work truck.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby dieselduck » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Maintenance as everyone has said. Im a diesel mechanic and can tell you that most people overlook the small things. Sure you change your oil and maybe transmission fluid but what about transmission filters, gear oil, transfercase oil, powersteering fluid, and the worst and most overlooked would be brake fluid. If you cant steer or stop that will end your trucks life rather prematurely.
dieselduck
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:46 am

Like everyone else has said - maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Synthethic lubrication can help with drive train longevity. You should inspect your vehicle once a month for obvious problems, and check fluid levels.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:10 pm

"take care of your stuff and it will take care of you" honest saying when it comes to trucks! 1st off, id like to say diesels last longer, we have a 91 350 cummins (yes that good ole' 5.9L!) an it has well over 500k miles and it regularly sees loaded goose neck trailers! dad's 01 duramax has 253k on it and only thing that has been touched is a recall for the transfercase (snap ring inside) still has the og ball joints and everything in the front end, but you just got to take good care of it and regularly change fluids, and fix any problem right away!

im replacing ALL my fluids here in the next few weeks from my axles (gear swap! :yes: gotta get that MPG!) transfercase, tranny, motor, breaks, antifreeze, and power steering.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby dieselduck » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:34 pm

For all of you guys swapping tranfercase fluid, if you have a chain driven transfercase you should consider running synthetic 5w-30 motor oil. I've been running it since I built my Allison two years ago and have put 70k on it since. Chain driven transfercases don't need the friction coefficient that ATF has, and ATF actually evaporates at high heat and will render a tcase dry. Seen it and its not pretty. Also its cheaper than ATF.
dieselduck
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:15 pm

How do I make my truck last? By not hitting stuff..too hard..
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips.
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:48 am

dieselduck wrote:For all of you guys swapping tranfercase fluid, if you have a chain driven transfercase you should consider running synthetic 5w-30 motor oil. I've been running it since I built my Allison two years ago and have put 70k on it since. Chain driven transfercases don't need the friction coefficient that ATF has, and ATF actually evaporates at high heat and will render a tcase dry. Seen it and its not pretty. Also its cheaper than ATF.

Motor oil is okay for chain-driven cases, but it should be changed on a more regular basis than ATF. FWIW, in a sealed t-case the ATF isn't going to evaporate...it has no where to go.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby dieselduck » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:13 am

Most transfercases are NOT sealed, and motor oil actually has less tendency to break down with heat so the service interval is not in fact shorter. Mind you this is only for chain driven units. ATF at 220* is bad news, how hot do you think your oil gets? Lets just say after building transmissions its a trick of the trade to put motor oil in a transfercase for many reasons, cost not actually being one of them, it just happens to be cheaper. So i give you all that knowledge, argue if you like but how many transmissions have you built in 600rwhp trucks?
dieselduck
hunter

Postby dieselduck » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:18 am

Also you can pick a motor oil based on its Noack Volatility if you are really worried about heat etc.
dieselduck
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:38 pm

try using seafoam in the gas and in the oil as well.............i like to call it tune up in a can. :thumbsup:
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:41 pm

seafoam is great, i also disconnect my vacuum line and let about a 1/3 to a half a can suck into intake, do it until the truck stalls out. let it sit for about a beer or two and then start it up again, you should see a bunch of smoke coming out of the tailpipe, this is the gunk on top of the pistons burning off. if you add it to oil make sure you're doing your oil change that day, seafoam breaks down oil very quickly.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum