Ticking

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Ticking

Postby Duckhunter16 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:50 pm

Hey what do you guys think this is. out truck a 92' chevy suberban has a ticking sound. It dosen't do it when it is cold but only after it has warmed up. I know it's not loose heads cause we already tightened them down. Any help would be nice.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:54 pm

I know a lot of the newer chevys had valve and cylinder taps. Usually it went away when warm though.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:33 am

I would guess a lifter, since its a ticking noise. But since you say that it only does it only after warm up, I'm thinking detonation or pre-ignition. But thats usually a pinging noise. Try running some higher octane gas.

Does it sound like its only happening at half the engine speed? If it is then its in you valve train (like your lifter). But usually that problem leaves one the engine warms up.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:18 pm

yea it dose sound about half speed. I for got to mention that its not using any oil but sometimes the oil pressure will just drop to like 0 and that it happened tryin to get teh truck unstuck.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:58 pm

Well if its half speed it is definatly in your vale train.

How often does it loose oil pressure? If you are loosing it enough then maybe one of your lifters is not pumping up that would cause a ticking noise.
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:09 pm

It only loses pressure if you take off kinda quick and it dosen't do it very often. If it is the vale train how much do you think it is goin cost me to fix it?
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:15 pm

It depends on what is causing the problem to how much it will cost to fix. If its just the lifter and nothing else, it only a couple buck for the part, but labor is another story.

It sounds like your oil is either to low causing the pump to suck air, to thin, or when your getting on it and the engine gets into the high rpm range and is throwing the oil everywhere, it might be putting air bubbles into the oil and the pump is sucking that up.

That might help explain why it doesnt do it untill the engine is warm, while its cold the oil is thick enough and the pump wont suck air, but when it get warm it gets thin and flows easier and it can get away from the pump easier causing the pump to suck air.

If your pump sucks oil then when that air reaches the lifters it would cause them to fill with air and then that would cause a ticking noise, but unless your loosing oil pressure constantly, the noise should go away quickly, untill the pump sucks air again.
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:04 pm

I was talking to someone else and they said it might be a lifter or something to do with the heads. Could this be a possibility? I know I just need to take it to a mechanic but I just really won’t have the money tell after the first of the year so I thought I would just keep bugin you. :yes:
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:37 pm

Well like I said before, I think it could ba a lifter also, but usually that noise will go away after warm up.
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby BLACKDUK » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:14 pm

possibly,, weak oil pump,, if you have a napa oil filter on it (change it)!!! or my favorite, LUCAS oil treatment
BLACKDUK
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:59 pm

KCDuckMaster wrote:Well like I said before, I think it could ba a lifter also, but usually that noise will go away after warm up.

That's what has me wondering about it as well. Probably would have to look at it before I could venture a guess on it. Sure does sound like valvetrain, though.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum