4x4 problem

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

4x4 problem

Postby gsphunter » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:09 pm

I had a truly fun experience last week on the iced up boat ramp. I found out my 4WD isn't working.

It's a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT. The light comes on in my dash, the front drive shaft spins when in 4, but the front wheels aren't spinning.

My guess is that the hubs are shot, but I wanted some other opinions. Any idea how much a new set of MANUAL hubs are? If I switch them, I'm going to manual lockers instead of the autos.

Thanks.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:16 pm

Did you check to see if one of the tires was spinning and not both?

I am not sure how the hubs activate, but I had a chevy that got me stuck one day and the vacuum tube for the hub and fell off. Maybe a sensor or something like that???
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:37 pm

Im not sure If your hubs do anything on your truck or not can not find out for sure. But I do know the new f 150 do everything in the center and there is no such kit availiable for them. However there may be a conversion for the ranger I know there is for the four runner and tacoma but they cost from 4-700 dollars.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:07 am

Alright, I've been doing alot of research on my truck. Probably found some stuff I wish I woulda known before I bought it. Anyway, I found out that the vaccum system on 98-00 Rangers sucks. They don't make any aftermarket manual locking hubs for it, and the replacement factory hubs run about $300 a side.

A quick fix and free remedy is to lock the hubs in full time and have a full time live front axle. This doesn't mean that the truck will be in 4WD all the time, because the front drive shaft won't be engaged. This just means the front axle will turn along with the wheels. I should only lose a little bit of gas mileage, but compared to the $600 in parts, it shouldn't be bad.

My question is, will I mess anything up by locking my hubs in full time. I'm going to make sure my front dif. has fresh fluid in it before I do it, because that is the only thing that will really be getting that much more wear on it as far as I can tell.

Any comments would be great.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby BLACKDUK » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:17 pm

is that $300 per side a junk yard price???
BLACKDUK
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:46 pm

No it wasn't, but I also found out that it was a little on the low end in my research. It was more like 350 to 400 per side. :eek:

I ended up taking the truck in for a diagnostic test at the local 4x4 shop in town and they fixed it for $72.00. :getdown: It ended up having a missing O-ring in the front end from a shop that had done some work on the truck before I bought it. The missing O-ring wouldn't allow the vaccum pressure build up to lock in the hubs.

O-ring = 1.95
1 hour labor at a garage = $70.00
Having 4wd again = priceless :thumbsup:
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:54 pm

Glad to hear it worked out okay! You had me worrying about my ranger, but now I know a bit more if I should ever face that problem...and knowing is half the battle!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:36 am

Trois, if you want to find out stuff about your Ranger, check out http://www.therangerstation.com

It's a web forum, and it's pretty amazing the info you can dig up about all year Rangers. I found all kinds of useful stuff on there.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ldiful1 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:58 pm

There is a good lesson to learn here. Put your truck in 4x4 once a month and drive it around the block or something. This way you know if something is not working. Also, most of us use the 4x4 very seldom these days and doing this once a month gets all the bearings, hubs, etc moving. This keeps things lubed and prevents the grease from drying out from non-use. Just a little tip. Take it for what its worth.
ldiful1
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:08 am

I definitely do that now. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:23 am

I've done it since i got mine, but it's still very sage advice.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:25 pm

Did you check out that site I posted Trois? There are some pretty amazing Rangers on that website.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum