Silverado HD Front limited slip

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Silverado HD Front limited slip

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:04 am

I am trying to find the source for the limited slip for the GM IFS differntial. I have found the ARB and Eaton both make versions that I can turn on and off (air and electric) but I am looking for simplicity. powertrax makes one called a lock rite and according to their catalog the part number for the front IFS 9.2 ring gear is the same part number they list for the 14 bolt rear with 9.5 ring gear. Has anyone used one of the powertrax lock rite #1950's and does it work well?

Once My Wifes student loans are paid off I will be buying a new diesel and this 2001 HD will most likely get a solid front axle but until then I have a spare IFS front Diff I want to install a locker in to swap into my truck.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Silverado HD Front limited slip

Postby ajmorell » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:49 am

I don't know the answer to your question but I would NOT put a powertrax up front unless this is a trail rig onle. It is a locker, not a limited slip and will suck if you drive this thing on the road, especially in the winter.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:22 pm

I have run front lockers before and they are a bit of a challenge on icy roads but once you learn their character all is good. I had a locker in the front of a plow truck and that did not work well at all with the extra weight up front it somehow made it absolutely impossible to go straight in the snow. :yes: I always run rear detroit lockers (first mod I make besides tires when I drive a truck off the lot) but I am looking at the e-locker for the front this time So I can run it open until I need it, I just do not care for the $650 + price tag on them. :mad: I am also looking for stronger CV's (had a link at one time but have lost it) as I plan on running 35's on this truck and it has the 496ci engine with lots of torque to play with. Or if I can find the patience I will just wait and do the solid axle swap and not mess with the IFS at all. if only I had more time and $$$ to play with :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:44 pm

you got the 8.1L :fingerhead: thats was a dumb move. shoulda looked for and spent that money on a 6.6L duramax
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:07 am

2500hdon37s wrote:you got the 8.1L :fingerhead: thats was a dumb move. shoulda looked for and spent that money on a 6.6L duramax

I just re-read the post and do not see where I ask for your opinion on engines :huh:
BUT I'll jump into this :lame: :offtopic: resopnse and ask, How do you figure it was a dumb move? Engine has tons of power, In EVERY test conducted by every automotive magazine for the 01's it out pulled the diesel and was faster. Diesel Power even published a test on them and it won for most everything except fuel economy if I remember correctly. the gas engine will not last as long as the diesel but was $7000 less even with my GM discount in 2001. the dealer wrote up orders for both when I ordered mine and that was bottom line cost difference. it still gets the allison trans and I haul back hoes, tractors and dozers with it with no problem at all. it now has 54,000 miles on it and the only issue with mine was the crankshaft position sensor and the oil pump bypass spring. Both were GM service bulletins for this redesigned engine. They actually rebuilt the entire engine when the oil pump was failing due to the known spring issue and I just replaced the sensor myself. Neither one of these issues prevented me from driving the truck home.

My cousin had the 8.1 in his HD (this one started using oil) but recently traded it in for a Tahoe due to having twins and my X-Wife has the 8.1 in her truck with about 175,000 on it and it has no problems at all and it is used to pull a 38' 5th wheel.

And when I am out in the back country of the UP for a couple of weeks I can buy gas but there is no Diesel to be found.

My other issue with Diesel is that in 10 years I have averaged about 5000 miles a year on this truck. (my other truck, a 2008 5.3l, has 170,000 on it) if you let Diesels sit like I do they tend to have issues. Plus Maintenance cost a LOT more, Fuel additives for the sub zero winters and when parts, Like injectors need to be replaced they are very expensive.

My next truck I am buying will probably be a diesel. I do Like the diesel But I have always been a big Block guy, Even my boats had 454's in them. but they no longer put the 8.1 / 496ci in trucks as they only make it for marine applications now :crying: So I will have to go with the oil burner and see how it works for me.

I just picked up another 454 in a 1978 Midas motor home Thrusday for a mud runner. It has 47,000 miles on it and spent most of its life parked in a RV park in FL. The owner drove it to MI and the roof caved in (rotted) so we picked it up for $800 with the 6.5 Onan genset with only 110 hours on it. Everything runs like brand new.... :biggrin: :biggrin:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:43 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:[
I just re-read the post and do not see where I ask for your opinion on engines :huh:
BUT I'll jump into this :lame: :offtopic: resopnse and ask, How do you figure it was a dumb move? Engine has tons of power, In EVERY test conducted by every automotive magazine for the 01's it out pulled the diesel and was faster. Diesel Power even published a test on them and it won for most everything except fuel economy if I remember correctly. the gas engine will not last as long as the diesel but was $7000

My other issue with Diesel is that in 10 years I have averaged about 5000 miles a year on this truck.
I just picked up another 454 in a 1978 Midas motor home Thrusday for a mud runner.

just thought id share some insight, and with bigger tires your going to get quite friendly with single didgets. yes, its obvisly gonna be faster than the 6.6 diesel, its a bigger gas motor, and the reason it out pulled the diesel is beacuse it was able to make rpm faster than the diesel along with the more motor concept. but i figure for the gas it uses you could have got a more fuel efficent engine and more reliable. my dads 2001 has over 256,000 miles on it, the only thing that has ever been touched on it was a bad set of injectors that was coverd by warrnty and a recalled transfercase housing/split ring inside. on to if a diesel wont start when its stored for a long time, thats a joke, we have menay diesels on our farm and some dont get run more than 3-5 times a year max and never once have we had trouble with them or injectors going bad or anything like that, and they are not stored in garages or ran easy, the only problem with diesels is in sub-zero temps when you need to plug them in for the glo plugs and in your case finding fuel.

oh and good luck with your mud rig! sounds like its gonna be BA, im currently building one with a 6cyl diesel and forklift axles and AG tires.

oh and on to the orginal ? i have a limnted slip in my rear with an open front, and you dont need to worry about the cv shafts im running 37s (Coper stt's, Boggers, and Mud grapplers) and have not had a single problem with them ever, and its seen its fare share of full throttle mud runs even while turned and slammming the throttle
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:24 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:I have run front lockers before and they are a bit of a challenge on icy roads but once you learn their character all is good. I had a locker in the front of a plow truck and that did not work well at all with the extra weight up front it somehow made it absolutely impossible to go straight in the snow. :yes: I always run rear detroit lockers (first mod I make besides tires when I drive a truck off the lot) but I am looking at the e-locker for the front this time So I can run it open until I need it, I just do not care for the $650 + price tag on them. :mad: I am also looking for stronger CV's (had a link at one time but have lost it) as I plan on running 35's on this truck and it has the 496ci engine with lots of torque to play with. Or if I can find the patience I will just wait and do the solid axle swap and not mess with the IFS at all. if only I had more time and $$$ to play with :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

I figured you were already aware of that, but a lot of people aren't. IMO if you are going to SAS this truck then just throw the lunch-box locker (PowerTrax, Aussier, etc) in it and be done with it, doesn't sound like you want to dump a ton of money into it anyways. As far as CV shafts, you might check to see if RCV has any for your application, I have heard really good things about them.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:10 pm

I have seen too many people break the front CV's in these trucks running 35's and 38's in the mud pits to feel confident with them. I have broke my K-30 1-ton front axle U-Joints running in the sticky clay we have around here and those were new heavy duty joints with a nice running little 305 I built with only about 250hp but in low there is a lot of power being sent to the front end with 44" hogs. My truck will still see mostly road use but I want it to be a bit more off road capable too. It is fully loaded with leather and is not what I would call a mud bogger (I am working on that too) but just a nice hunting truck That I will not worry about scratching up or getting dirty.

I would love to have this jeep back :crying:
4x4.JPG

Pictures below are of the trail I used to hit every Sat morning. It was about 3 miles long and took all day with usually 4 to 6 trucks generally someone had to be towed home as something would break on one of them. but it was a blast, Hit the resturant for breakfast, Lunch half way thru and then pizza and beer in the evening. Don;t get much better than that in the off season :beer:

4x4-3.JPG

4x4-2.JPG

4x4-4.JPG

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dieselduck » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:19 am

Elocker is the best way to go. What you want is not a good idea.
dieselduck
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum