Duck Hunting Forum banner

I need some diesel info...

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dieselduck 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. As much as I hate to admit it, I don't know anything about diesel engines except it takes a different fuel. I have heard a lot of people say diesels are better. What makes them better? I hear they last longer (more miles) and get better gas mileage. Is that accurate? Thinking of making my next truck a diesel. Thanks for any info you can provide on the subject.

#2 ·
You need to do a fair amount of heavy towing and keep a vehicle a long time to justify the added initial expense, additional maintenance expense, and higher priced fuel. Unless of course, you simply like the idea of having one and don't sweat the money.

I'm not knocking them, I have two. A 1997 F350 and a 2001 Excursion, both with 7.3L Powerstroke diesels. I hope each of them will last at least another ten years.

#3 ·
in my opinion there is a ton of things to look at before making that decision.
does it get very cold where you live?
do you tow much?
how many gas stations around you carry diesel?
do you not mind lettin the truck warm up for 20min (at least) in winter?
do you mind spending a little more on maintinance(sp?) for the trade off of longer engine life?
how long are you planning to keep the truck?

so you know, i am a huge diesel fan. i have a 97 f350 with a 7.3 and i love it. but diesels arent for everyone. this time of year it sucks for me because i have to sit in my truck for 20min letting it warm up because i cant plug it in anywhere at work. not to mention, when i am at home, i have to take the time to plug it in and unplug to roll the cord up every night. i also have to (prefer to) add a fuel additive to prevent gelling. but i can haul a house down and not worry when the truck gets to the 200,000mi mark. the technical side of reliability, i wont get into too far. the fact that (in older trucks) there is less electronics controlling the ignition system means that there is less to fail on that side of things imo. plus i went to college to learn to work on diesels so i am kinda biased. :biggrin:

also, just wonderin, what kind of diesel are you thinkin of gettin?

#4 ·
Mainly looking at replacing the smaller truck I have now with a 2500/250 size when it comes time. As for temp and gas stations, i can't answer that yet as I do not know where my career is taking me yet. Could be VA, St. Louis, NorCal, SC, OH or even back home into FL. All depneds on which company offers the best benefits/salary for my family and I when the time comes. As for the warm up, thats not an issue. I do that now when its cold just so the cab can warm up before I get in :yes: I am a fan of buying things once and have it last a long time. Thats my main reason for wanting the diesel. As for towing; I may have a 17-21ft boat one of these days but nothing extreme. Thanks for the help guys.

#5 ·
Diesel over gas any day. With proper modifications mpg's near or in the low 20's can be achieved for city/mixed driving and low to mid 20's for highway. Most gas trucks get 13-15 at best in the city and 17-19 highway. You can pull more than gas engines (there are always exceptions), and you'll achieve better fuel mileage doing it. If you pick the right one, they'll last for a very long time.

Stay away from the 6.0 powerstrokes. They're a money pit and will leave you stranded.

#6 ·
my dad has a 2001 duramax and its great, 257,000+ miles on it, 21 mpg hwy and 17 city. id say the cost is well worth it, better mpg, more towing, less matinace (ie no spark plugs to replace)

im not sure why petrel would he say maintance is more, ive seen it accualy be less than that of a gas motor, no spark plugs, more reliable, and add scince they last a lot longer its worth it

and unless your winter temps are below -10 all the time warming it up for 20 min is over kill for warm up, when ever it gets below 30 my dad puts the bra on his and when its below 15 he just plugs the glow plugs in at night and it takes almost no warming it, 5 min max

then id also add a cold air intake, exaust, and a programmer for best fuel economy (and a little fun when you would like) :thumbsup:
oh and i like the new duramaxes, brother got one and its badass (and fast) for a stocker!

#8 ·
2500hdon37s said:
im not sure why petrel would he say maintance is more, ive seen it accualy be less than that of a gas motor, no spark plugs, more reliable, and add scince they last a lot longer its worth it
their oil capacity is a lot higher, fuel filters need to be changed a lot more often, depending on the model injectors may need to be replaced ~100k or so.

I am a big diesel proponent but it only makes sense if you really are going to use it for its intended purpose. Sure they get better fuel mileage but taking into account the difference in initial cost and the fact that fuel itself is more expensive per gallon it takes a loooong time or a lot of miles to break even. I was seriously considering a diesel for a DD, and even though I intend to tow my Jeep several times a year it still probably makes more sense for me to buy a gasser and deal with the crappy towing the 4 times a year I actually could use the diesel. The other issue is that if I bought a diesel I would end up pouring money into go-fast parts :yes:

#9 ·
lumpy2181 said:
Did you buy yours there in MO? I am trying to get my new career position in the STL area and am curious to know how much they are running out there.
my dad bought his at Loyd belt back in 2001 right off the show room floor (before they closed) and my brother got his 08 about a month ago in NC for right at $30,000 with 58,000 miles, but ill check at my local place here in Columbia (Bob McCosh) but i think they are high $50k now maybe even low $60'S (i wanna say $62k for the best package) :no:

#10 ·
Ok some of you guys have some dated information. Any diesel that is from about 2001 up is going to run fine in the cold. Only the older fords and dodges (7.3 and 12V) will need a little time to warm up. I have a friend that lives in fairbanks and all they drive are diesels and any car in weather that extreme will need overnight heating provisions. I own a 2004 Duramax and I love it. I build performance diesel trucks and have seen good things from FML and Dodge and I'd take Oranges advice, stay away from the 6.0 powerstroke. To answer your questions diesels typically last longer due to their decreased rpm range and being built a little tougher as they're intended to be used for towing. The fact that diesel fuel is ever higher in price is ridiculous. That is and always has been political bs as diesel is a byproduct of gasoline. Feel free to ask anymore questions I mainly do Duramax stuff but have worked on the cummins trucks too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.