New Car or Truck Buying Tips

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

New Car or Truck Buying Tips

Postby tucker301 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Share your experiences or anything that you've found helpful in buying a new car or truck.
Maybe if things go well, we can get a sticky.
tucker301
hunter

Helpful Websites

Postby tucker301 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:00 pm

I just bought a new car for my wife.
These websites were of great help.

TrueCar.com - http://www.truecar.com/ - Select make, model, options, etc., and get a pricing report on what others others have paid in your area. It shows the high, low and average price paid. The site aggregates data from lenders, dealers, DMV's, etc., so it's reliable information.

For comparing cars I used Hinda's website, which allows you compare their vehicles with others head-to-head, and I also used Automotive.com - http://www.automotive.com/new-cars/compare/index.html which also lets you do comparisons.
Last edited by tucker301 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tucker301
hunter

Doc Fees - The Profit Padders

Postby tucker301 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Another resource that was of great help was doing research on dealer processing fees or "doc fees".
These are the fees that dealers charge you to process the paperwork and DMV work.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_6764516_doc-f ... -car_.html

Some states regulate these fees and set caps on what dealers can charge. Others, like VA and NC do not, so the dealer is left to charge whatever they think they can get away with.

The trick is that the dealers don't mention the fee until you've shook hands on a agreed price. Many dealers use the fee as a way of adding pure profit back into the transaction after the deal is done.

ALWAYS ask what the doc fees are up front, before agreeing to anything.

The NC dealer who quoted my car wanted $499 in doc fees.
The VA dealer, from whom we bought the car, asked $299.
I told them that they were too high and to knock another $200 off the sale price. They agreed to do that.
tucker301
hunter

Re: New Car or Truck Buying Tips

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:57 pm

When deciding on a brand you might check out consumer reports for known problems etc. Also slide into the shop at dealerships and ask the mechanics that work on them what their thoughts are. Also, ask what type of cars the mechanics drive, we don't like to work on our own stuff either. If you know anybody that sells or inspects aftermarket service plans talk to them they know which cars are trouble and which ones are not. Good luck
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:39 pm

will this vehcile fit your needs?
amount of passengers?
towing?
ablity to get you to the duck marsh?
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby TomKat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:51 pm

If Tucker likes it, RUN! Thats my tip
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby REM1100 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:40 am

Listen carefully to what the salesman says. last month I walked into Chev showroom and the salesman said I could drive it off the lot for $36,000, we took the 2010 SS Camaro out for test drive and the Salesman showed me a price of $37700 explaining there were other costs and it was a price of take it or leave it. I haven't even told him if I liked it or even gave him my bid. Well I turned down the deal and got my deposit of $1000 back..in order to test drive it.
My son and I were shopping at Subaru and were told by one dealer they were out of 2010 and a used one would cost me about $31000. I called another dealer and the salesman said he had one 2010 subaruu Impreza WRX sedan left with a $4000 cash discount and said over the phone I could have it for $36000 after the cash discount. I knew the 2011 was about $37000 so I played a hunch that if I walked in that dealership and dealt with a different salesman that really wanted to make a deal and a free test drive and told me the truth yes there is a $4000 discount for cash and after showing me some numbers, it came out to $32000. My son got him to throw in 5 all season tires,a real spare, floor mats , rear trunk mat ,an extra set of lazer keys and remote plus dealer tinted glass.
Salesman knew his stuff plus he knew I wanted to buy that day. The other salesman said I had talked with him on the phone...tough ..
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:09 pm

Don't let your wife or girlfreind go to a dealership alone. :fingerpt:
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:37 pm

[quote="REM1100"]Salesman knew his stuff plus he knew I wanted to buy that day. quote]
NEVER let a salesman know you want to buy th same day!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:14 am

How can a salesman help you find the car and explain to you what the sticker price and final drive away price is after a test drive as often the price and specs are not displayed on the window. I have researched my cars specs price range I don't know the color. As in Real Estate "you snooze, you lose" maybe another customer comes in and buys the car you want. I bought my Isuzu after hearing about a deal on the radio and dashed down as I was writing down a deal with the assistant manager another salesman was starting to write I beat him to the punch paid cash got a fantastic deal and drove home with a new Isuzu and took the manager out goose hunting that weekend
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:57 am

My experience has always been a bit different as I usually order the truck I want. I go in with my dads GM discount and put one together, The price is set differently on orders and from my experience, a lot less than one off the lot. And generally they do not have the options I want like dual batteries, clearance lights, snow plow prep package and a few other things I always add on.

On used vehicles I want them to produce a car-fax report, I want it put on the lift so I can look under it for any "off-road" damage.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LukeSwim » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:02 am

The price is set differently on orders and from my experience, a lot less than one off the lot.
LukeSwim
Newb

Postby jenniferhoops » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:50 am

Always check that your selected truck or car is capable to fulfill your needs. Check that your selected vehicle is fuel efficient or not.
We provides protection against low water flow, lead leaching, corrosion and copper Repipe.
jenniferhoops
Newb

Postby aunt betty » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:27 am

I will use the internet to find several dealers who have the year,make, and model I want. I'm not a truck "orderer" as I usually need a vehicle when I need one and can't anticipate that I'm going to need one. I try to buy used trucks that were leased. One with 17k miles and is two years old and clean as a whistle... That's my M.O. when looking for a deal. I look at the trailer hitch and if it looks like it never had a receiver connected to the truck... that's the one.
Try and avoid something that has been used to pull a camper kinda thing.
I always have to talk my wife out of buying the pretty silver one with the moon-roof and leather seats that are heated...she falls for the bells and whistles and will waste money on that stuff.
Buy the extended warranty if you can. We did and it has saved us tons of money on repairs like when it needs the front-end worked on. 4x4's take a lot of cash when they get repaired. It's like they see you coming. Yeah
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:03 pm

ALWAYS be prepared to walk right out when you dont like what youre hearing. it may sound like a pain, but these guys sell them a lot more than you buy them, so theyre great at working over people, dont let that be you. demand what you think they cant give you, even if you know they cant, and leverage that statistic about car buyers: when someone walks on the lot, they buy within 3 days. that was what we worked with when i sold cars, and its fairly true (annecdotally) that people arent there for grins. the harder you press them, the more they'll come off, or the more you'll be prepared for the next dealership. cant tell you how many people just walk in and are talked into wahtever terms the dealer wants....dont forget youre buying for you, not them.

oh and used car salesmen have no souls.
Dog Tired
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum