1948 Ford 8N carb rebuild pics

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

1948 Ford 8N carb rebuild pics

Postby TomKat » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:29 am

I did it! My first time ever to rebuild a carb. If you are thinking about it, DO IT...its not that hard if you take your time and follow directions.

BEFORE-

AFTER-

The new fuel line and elbow filter are on order, next step is removing the tank and cleaning it real good with liner, then inspection the sediment bowl and replacing screens.
TomKat
Dorothy

Re: 1948 Ford 8N carb rebuild pics

Postby TomKat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 am

Damn, 180 people have looked at this with out a single comment :mad:
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby ajmorell » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:08 pm

I can't really offer any technical expertise since I have zero experience with carbs but looks like you are doing a good job so far :thumbsup:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby TomKat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:24 pm

thanks-

This is my first one ever
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:09 pm

Congrats, way to dig in and give it a try. Those old single carbs are pretty simple. As long as you did a good job cleaning out the fuel feed, needle passage, air/fuel mix passage, and main jet passage it should be good. Did you adjust the float level as specified? That is crucial on these. I noticed in the pictures a couple of main bowl screws aren't tight or seated, probably took pics before finishing. The only thing I suggest is check and change any rubber lines that are old they will deteriorate and fill your carb with nasty rubber crap again. I figure on most things if they are already not working what am I going to do if I mess up, not make it work? Rip and tear my man and remember 8N's aren't made for wheelies :yes:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby LongTom » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Those old, updraft carburetors are fun to work with and easy to adjust. Turn your fuel mix screw in until your engine starts to run rough and then back the screw back out 3/4 of a turn.
LongTom
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum