Driving Lights VS Off Road Lights

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Driving Lights VS Off Road Lights

Postby California Sprig » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:45 am

I am going to mount some auxillary lights on the bull bar of my 4x4. My question is what is the difference between aux driving lights and off road lights? I assume they have a different beam shape and distance but what is the difference between the two? Also I am looking at Westin, PIAA and KC Dayliters. Any suggestions on which ones I should go with?
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Re: Driving Lights VS Off Road Lights

Postby ajmorell » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:13 am

The difference is beam type. I think off road lights have a narrower, more concentrated beam but I might have them switched up. I would go with KC or PIAA, I'm not a huge Westin fan. You might try calling KC, here is there number. 1 (928) 635-2607
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:52 am

In Canada the difference is the height of the lights off the ground and most important of all, the wattage ie normal lights are mostly 55/65 watts and off roads have a wattage ie 80/100 watts. I cheat as I use the higher wattage in my headlights make a big difference if you don't aim them too high to blind others
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby California Sprig » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:24 am

Thanks all for the info. I ended up getting a set of Warn off road lights. They have a wireless remote control switch which I like. Haven't installed them yet but will do so this weekend and see how they perform.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum