Toyota Tundra Question...

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Toyota Tundra Question...

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Anyone own one? Thoughts, or comments about the 2012? Pros and Cons please.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Toyota Tundra Question...

Postby California Sprig » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:38 pm

I have owned both Tundras and Tacomas. They are great trucks. They can take a beating and just keep on going. They are the most dependable trucks on the road.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:51 am

I like the Tundra but I wish they made a regular cab, not the crew. Do they?
Much more expensive than the F250 that I currently own.
You think worth it?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:43 pm

I don't know what an F250 goes for but F250's are also great trucks. I don't think you can go wrong with either a f250 or a Tundra. I have had 5 toyota trucks in a row including a 4runner and put 100,000+ miles on all of them. No problems with any with 1 exception - I had 2002 Tundra in which the tranny went out around 75,000 miles and just 4 months after my extended warrenty expired. The dealer said they had not had this happen on any Tundras. They contacted Toyota Corp. and Toyota Corp paid for a new tranny. Also had an oxygen sensor go out on that truck (not uncommon in that year tundra) but an easy and inexpensive fix. The only other time my vehicles have been in the shop have been for routine maintaince.
My partner is a Ford guy and although his trucks have been generally good trucks he has experienced a number of problems with them (not major) like electric windows not working, fuel pump failing, electrical problems, problem with steering and other problems that add up to thousands in repair costs plus the inconvenience of it being in the shop. Although if I didn't have a Toyota I'd have a Ford truck.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby MojoKiller » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:31 pm

Why buy a foreign piece of junk? I'm a total ford guy my 06 f150. Has over 180,000 miles on it and have yet to have a problem, it goes in every 3000 miles for routine stuff every time its needed. I don't understand why ppl buy the foreign junk and then complain about how our country is doing...go with dodge, Chevy or ford and save yourself the smirks and jokes that will be aimed at you when you pull up to the lake in the morning. I have had a couple friends that have tried them, kept them a year or less and went with a better truck. I just can't justify paying the price they want with few options that I like when you can buy
a lariat ford truck
MojoKiller
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:17 pm

MojoKiller wrote:Why buy a foreign piece of junk?

Facts are below :lol:
Toyota Tundras are manufactured only in the USA. Toyota plants in San Antonio, TX and Princeton, IN both manufacture the Tundra with the engines being manufactured in Huntsville, AL.

They consolidated production to SA, TX... Otherwise you can tell where a Tundra was born by the first 3 characters of the VIN:

5TF – Truck was manufactured at TMMTX (Texas)
5TB – Truck was manufactured at TMMI (Indiana)
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I like the Tundra but I wish they made a regular cab, not the crew. Do they?
Much more expensive than the F250 that I currently own.
You think worth it?

yes they make a regular cab, might just have to special order it though, I see reg. cab tundras quite a bit.

Pros- good ride, fair interior, decent power

Cons- weak tranny, bad fuel millage, horrible looks
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Gas is for lawn mowers, diesel is for trucks. Just sayin. :beer:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby duckfan1984 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 pm

biscuitsandgravy wrote:Gas is for lawn mowers, diesel is for trucks. Just sayin. :beer:

heck ya cant go wrong with a diesel!!!! i got a cummins and love it thing will pull like a sob!!!
duckfan1984
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Major Woods wrote:
MojoKiller wrote:Why buy a foreign piece of junk?

Facts are below :lol:
Toyota Tundras are manufactured only in the USA. Toyota plants in San Antonio, TX and Princeton, IN both manufacture the Tundra with the engines being manufactured in Huntsville, AL.

They consolidated production to SA, TX... Otherwise you can tell where a Tundra was born by the first 3 characters of the VIN:

5TF – Truck was manufactured at TMMTX (Texas)
5TB – Truck was manufactured at TMMI (Indiana)

I'm not trying to start a pissing match about foreign v. domestic. Buy what you like, because in the end you are the one who has to drive it. That being said, the profits from every F150 sold go to Ford, a US company. The profits from Tundra's and Tacoma's go to Toyota, a Japanese company. The reality of it is there is no such thing as "domestic" or "foreign/import" anymore. Many parts for Ford, GM and Chrysler are manufactured and/or assembled out of the US but the overall profit from the sale stays here, the exact opposite is true for automakers like Toyota, Subaru, etc. Either way you look at it they are pretty much all employing American workers at some point in the process.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Jarbo03 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:16 pm

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp ... f=national
The Foreign vehicles are just better anyway. Ford has made drastic improvements in the last decade, wouldn't hesitate to drive one, Tundra would be my first choice though.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Ducknlabs11 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:03 am

I just bought the 2012 Tundra Crewmax 4x4...Can't say to much about it other than it gets 18-20 mpg and can tow anything I need. My wife currently drives it being that I am deployed...but I have heard nothing but good things about them and the fact that I got a lifetiime bumper to bumper warranty with it definitely was a selling point as well. I have had Ford and Dodge diesels and the Dodge held up much better. Nothing but engine problems with my Ford diesel, and the Dodge has an engine that will outlast most with the cummings(which I absolutely loved) but the rest of the truck was wanting to fall apart and it was only a '06. Figured I would try foreign for once...
Ducknlabs11
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum