700r4 no reverse

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

700r4 no reverse

Postby mydogearl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:06 pm

'90 Chevy K1500. I believe the transmission is the 700r4.
A few weeks ago reverse started actin up. Would not hardly go anywhere unless I really hit the gas. It only did this a few times but otherwise worked fine.
Then I helped pull a friend out of a ditch and after getting him out, I accidentally dropped the nose of my truck in another ditch and the truck was practically vertical. I was pulled out and had no problems the rest of the evening. The next morning, I couldn't hardly get any gears to shift when going forward, and had no reverse. All of the forward gears have since began shifting correctly. The only reverse is if on level ground and that's without touching the gas, OR, if I really rev it up and then let off I'll get a little bit of coast out of it. Either way, it's incredibly slow and powerless and worse when I touch the gas. I also checked the fluid and it shows way too much, when it previously had the correct amount.
mydogearl
hunter

Re: 700r4 no reverse

Postby A-5_Guy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:04 pm

I'd guess with being nearly vertical that you have a problem with your torque converter.
A-5_Guy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:41 am

mydogearl wrote:I believe the transmission is the 700r4. A few weeks ago reverse started actin up. Would not hardly go anywhere unless I really hit the gas. It only did this a few times but otherwise worked fine. Then I helped pull a friend out of a ditch and after getting him out, I accidentally dropped the nose of my truck in another ditch and the truck was practically vertical. I was pulled out and had no problems the rest of the evening. The next morning, I couldn't hardly get any gears to shift when going forward, and had no reverse. All of the forward gears have since began shifting correctly. The only reverse is if on level ground and that's without touching the gas, OR, if I really rev it up and then let off I'll get a little bit of coast out of it. Either way, it's incredibly slow and powerless and worse when I touch the gas. I also checked the fluid and it shows way too much, when it previously had the correct amount.

You do have a 700r4 (in 1990 some refered to it as a 4L60, then in 1992 I believe it went electronic and in 93 was called a 4L60-E and went into the truck line). It is probably just in need of a rebuild. I have had the reverse go first on 2 of them then the other gears follow shortly after. and if you had it tipped up pretty hard and tried running it with the fluid all to the front of the trans and nothing at the fluid pickup you could have burnt it the rest of the way out. 700R4's are simple to rebuild but if you have never done a trans it is best left to a pro. You can save a few $$$ by taking it out yourself and taking just the trans to the shop. I would avoid used or scrap-yard replacements if possible or you could end up with more issues a few miles down the road.
Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kdog » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Reverse shell went out (broken) Common problem 60 dolla fix ...buy a lot of labor :tongue:
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
kdog
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum