greasel fry-olator

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

greasel fry-olator

Postby harvey1b » Wed May 31, 2006 11:45 am

Has anyone done the conversion for their diesel to run on fry oil?

I am thinking of doing it to my truck. The price for the kit is pretty spendy, but once it is in and paid for $$ka-ching$$!!! I'm driving for free! :getdown: :getdown:

I calculated it out and if I go ahead with this, and not including my time to install the kit, I need to drive 16,000 miles on grease before I have recovered my cost on the kit and am truly driving for free.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed May 31, 2006 1:16 pm

And you can smell like french fries as you drive!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed May 31, 2006 1:38 pm

if it means I don't have to pay $3/gallon for diesel fuel I am pretty sure I'll be psyched to smell like french fries.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed May 31, 2006 1:47 pm

No kidding!

The smell just means you are keeping more of your wealth as you drive! :thumbsup:

Hard to believe that diesel can be so expensive, especially compared to gas.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed May 31, 2006 5:37 pm

Harvy,

Bio-diesel can be some pretty good stuff. Just make shure you consider that it is not "free" after you buy the kit, you still have to find someone to give you the oil, and then you have the extera additives they blend in w/ the oil.

I have seen several ppl who run on it, and it seems pretty kool.

In a recent issue of Diesel Power Magazine, they talked about them. What blend are you going to use? (100%, 50%, 10%, etc...). In their article, they ran their test truck on a bunch of different blends, and noticed no difference in power in any of them, so I guess it jsut comes down to how easy it is for you to make the stuff....

Good Luck, let me know what you decide/find out, as I am interested in starting it as well this summer :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:53 am

I wouldn't be using biodiesel, I would be using fry oil 100%. I would suck it out of the McD's oil dumpster, filter it, and drive on it. I am still working out the details and need to get a little more info before I go ahead with it, but it looks like a great way to save $$ at the pump.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:40 pm

I didnt know you could do that. All the shows I have seen on it are about this big machine where you pour the oil in and test it, then add a certain abount of two other chemicals to stabalize it. I didnt know you could filter the oil and run it. :eek:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:48 pm

It not about what the filter can filter which is improtant but more what the injector pump can handle and what can be combusted.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:29 am

smackaduck wrote:I didnt know you could do that. All the shows I have seen on it are about this big machine where you pour the oil in and test it, then add a certain abount of two other chemicals to stabalize it. I didnt know you could filter the oil and run it. :eek:

Thats Bio-Diesel...

Harvy.... lemme know how that werks, i never heard of doing what you said.

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:43 am

ok, here it is. check these links out and they will answer a lot of questions.

http://www.greasel.com/

http://www.frybrid.com/

I first saw it on "Myth Busters" and they ran a Mercedes diesel for a few miles on grease they pulled out of a McD's fry oil dumpster.

My buddy has a '93 F250 diesel fixed up with the greasel kit. He drove it from Colorado to NY on fry grease.

LAredneck is correct, it is about the fuel pump. The greasel site discusses the topic of pump life. Somewhere in there, I think in the FAQ's section, they talk about an F250 pump being run on grease for 160k miles.

My main hesitation on all this is how to deal with the frigid temps. When fry grease gets below 60 to 70 degrees it starts to congeal and won't flow.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:16 am

Just talking out my ass here but you will probably need to up grade your voltage reg and get bigger glowplugs. But your right being from the south that nothing I would have thought about.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:33 am

LAredneck - I don't think so.

Look at the Frybird site. Once you get fry oil up to 160 degrees, which is actually on the low side of the normal operating temperature for diesel engines, the viscosity is very similar to diesel. Add the pressure inherent in the fuel lines you get a little more rise in oil temp and it will easily flow through the injectors. The pressure combustion of the diesel engine will cleanly burn the fry oil with no problem and no loss of power.

The big kicker is not to turn the thing off with veggie oil in the system. you need a toggle switch that purges the fry oil and replaces it with diesel before you cut the engine.

I am starting to lean towards the Frybird system.

Just think, the nations biggest health problem could be the answer to the energy crisis!!
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:44 am

Some other things to consider are that a lot of the fryer type oils/veg oils produce a lot of acids and can be detrimental to your engines life. There is a lot more to it than just sucking up and filtering the fry oil although there are alot more studies and more info on it every day same as gasohol and blends of diesel and alcohol. Hope you find a solution to your delema.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Jusluv21 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:04 am

There is actually a little diesel car in Corvallis, OR that has been running on grease recovered from a local potato chip company. The funniest thing about the car isn't so much the smell, but the astroturf the entire thing is covered in. A lot of the systems out there are running an auxillary tank for the grease and have preheaters similiar to a heater found in a fish tank. In fact, I have read somewhere that a guy was having some trouble with his grease gelling so he actually put a fish tank heater in his aux tank. Another place that may have info for anyone interested is VEGPOWEREDSYSTEMS.COM There is also a place called Green Monkey or Green Grease Monkey. I've also put in a lot of time and research on this subject as I plan to convert a 2004 Cummins within the next 2 years. A lot of what I have seen has said to recover your oil from places that use high quality grease. It makes for less required filtering. Even if you purchased brand new oil at a superstore, wouldn't it still be cheaper than fuel right now?
Shellback, Squid, Old Tar.....Yep, that's me. All Navy. Don't worry, I'll scare 'em your way.....
Jusluv21
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:32 pm

Jusluv21 wrote: Even if you purchased brand new oil at a superstore, wouldn't it still be cheaper than fuel right now?

Im not really shore bout that. I think your fuel consumption will go up (just like when you use Number 1 diesel), and the price of the conversion. Untill the kits git cheaper, I dont think it would be. But it is most definitely something to pursue, and a VERY kool idea :thumbsup:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:57 pm

What about these hydrogen / oxygen conversions any of you considered that option? What is cheaper than good ole H2O? And it cleans your engine up by using it as well as producing fewer emissions. Most conversion kits sell from $750 USD - $3000. Just another option. :salude:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby ARDuckBuster » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:48 pm

There is a guy that owns a const company here in AR that has done that. I know he has a process that he heats the oil to about 180 deg and then runs it through a filter. Then it is ready for use. He has to start his truck on diesel and let it warm up. Then he changes over to the oil. I think by just a switch. He claims same fuel milage and no diff in output. He has been doing it for several years and has more than 100000 miles on his truck. I will see if i can find out more.
ARDuckBuster
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:48 am

My buddy has an F250 that runs on fry oil. He drove it from Colorado to NY on McDonalds fry oil. Like you say he has to purge the system of oil to diesel every time he shuts it down b/c it is tough to get it running otherwise.

Check out the 2 links I posted up previously. There is a lot of information there.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:44 am

Harvy, I need you to be my guinny pig, I say go for it (yer wife called and told me she would be fine w/ the extera expence :yes: )

I doubt I would ever git it for up here, cuz of the extreme temperatures, but I am extremely curious to see how it works.

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:42 am

Stouff - you're killing me here man!! You gotta read the links I posted!

Check it out (go to this link before you continue reading my post) :

http://www.goldenfuelsystems.com/Ford.html

You read it, right?!

I don't know what rig you have. I have a Ford so I chose the Ford link, but they have them rigged for Dodge, Chevy, Volkswaggon, you name it. ACE could even put one in that super fancy Power Stroke he just bought.

The system posted above is designed for cold weather. You "t" a line off the heatercore line. That line runs hot antifreeze along the fuel line to the engine and into each fuel tank, warming them to ~160 degrees Farenheit. You have to start the truck up on diesel b/c cold grease is too viscous and won't go through the injectors when it is cold, but when it is around 150 degrees F (the normal running temp for deisel engines is between 150 - 200 degrees F) the viscosity is close to diesel.

Now we add in the pressure of the fuel line (I think it is around 2000psi) AND we remember from high school physics that when pressure increases so does temperature. When temperature goes up the viscosity decreases. With all this the fry grease is now just like diesel and ready to get atomized when it is run through the injectors into the cylinders.

It is a pretty sweet system. I'm looking at putting one in sometime this winter if all goes well. I'll definately let you know how it goes.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby smuhunter » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:16 am

My wife is a biology professor at James Madison University here in Virginia. They have a pretty aggressive Bio-Diesel program that has everything from tractors to Semi's running on the stuff. They have been able to get the city bus system using some of it also. Restaurants are happy to not have to dispose of old oil and the process to refine it does take a little time and effort, but it is pretty amazing.

I am trying to convince them to find one of the Polaris 4 wheelers from a few years ago that was diesel...I will be happy to test it for them.

http://www.cisat.jmu.edu/biodiesel/
smuhunter
hunter

Postby cgc zephyr » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:25 am

They've been running this way in Europe for a good while(England, Germany and such). the quick jist of this is, to run on the fry oil, the kits, one could buy have larger injectors or Nozzles dependant on the engine. the engine is ran on diesel for the first say 10 miles because the engine has to warm up, which also has a heater core or a element in the oil that heats it up. the added Piece of these kits is a regulating valve that switches over manualy with a switch or automaticly when the engine and oil are brought to the proper temp, right around what the engine will run at 175-195. hot oil atomizes better than cold right! when your done running, switch to manual, runn the engine for a few minutes to clean, purge or thin the cooking oil. then your good to go, a couple of things need to be brought up. 1 what happens to oil that constantly has water intoduce, say like a deep frier?? Any one? Right AlaskaRedneck,, you get a acid, our engine oil we run has a addative inside it to counter this acid, think of those who are north, run to the store, or just a quick engine start, condensation can and does get inside your engine, just look at your exhaust, it steams when you first start right, but it goes away once the engine gets warm.
this acid that can be in these cooking oils that are from the Restauants can very on what oil, what temp or what was cooked. My job with the coast guard as a Machinery Tech or Mechanic has taken me all over the world, i've seen engins that run on bio diesel with no mod, i've seen engins with conversions for cooking oil, hell the goverment is testing and has been running equipment for a good number of years that can run on any Non synthetic oil, including cooking oil. The HMMV or Humvee, hummer H1 is designed to do this. quick and simple, get some test strips from a source that tests for acids, alkalys. Grainger, McMaster Carr or even a Auto store might have a inexpensive test kit for this. The acid though mild or slight will corrode the fuel pump plungers of the H/p fuel pumps or injectors, it'll corode othe parts also but these are the most prevalent. this is what i've seen, the Farmers i'm going t otalk about just added there used motor oil to the drums and repumped the batch and would retest. i'll keep it short, sorry. 2 Farmers in Arkansas one ran cooking oil, one ran cooking oil and deisel 50/50. Both ran there oil through there filter system. 4- 55 gallon drums with hand pumps that had spin on filters on them. fill drum one with colections for Burger king, McDonals and such, took home, put in drum pump, hand cranked over through canister type filter into second Drum that has another hand pump with a spin on style filter, pump to third drum, third drum same thing hand pump, filter into fourth drum for storage or into second tank in back of truck. this is the tank that has the heater to assist the oil to flow better. I've watch both farmers do this proccess, since they were brothers they both had farms close together. The one that ran the cooking oil, had the mod, the one who ran 50/50, had the option of 2 tanks(ford), the forward One was 50/50 the aft one was regular #2. last thing also, and this is a good one i've been thinking of. I know of a few trucking companies that are large, that reclaim there oil, put it through a filter and pruifier, and then put the oil into there bulk fuel tanks that top off there trucks on site. All the purifier does is heat the oil, inject it into a centerfuge that spins it at say 15000-20000 rpm and the contaminates(particles) are removed. we used them on our boat, those with purifiers, never change there oil, just suplement or add oil as needed, just run the purifiers on the engine after 250 hours is the norm, some even have spinner type filter systems that do the same as the engine is running, cool stuff. Ever wonder where the used oil goes? The shops sell it to refineries, wow. all the oil we give to them they sell, or they may use in there oil burner heaters, Damn time to store some oil. Sorry it took long but were underway on Patrol and i have some time to type befor going on watch.
cgc zephyr
hunter

Postby honkstopper13 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:53 pm

i currently run bio diesel in my truck (around 50%) I purchase it in my area and dont actually make it. My mpg has slightly decreased, although it does seem to make my truck run a little smother (might be just in my head) and YES it does make your exhaust smell completly different :-) , BRiAN
honkstopper13
hunter

Postby nra4evr » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:31 pm

Have a son who is a diesel mechanic,he swears he will shoot me if I run vegi in my hd.According to him the injecters and injecter pump will fail.
NRA4EVR
nra4evr
hunter

Postby cgc zephyr » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:48 am

problebly because the Acid in the Used oil. that's why it needs to be tested and neutralized. it's been around for years, widly used in europe. Military use it also
cgc zephyr
hunter

Next

Return to Vehicle forum